Developing the site

You can post your questions, problems, kudos and comments about the administration of the website here.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Developing the site

Post by The Dieselduck »

I split this post from the original thread because I believe it warranted its own discussion; so if it feels a bit lumpy to read at first, just read on and you will get the drift.

Martin - February 04, 2008

Hello Dieseldame, great to see you participating in the forum.

I just wanted to highlight some pages on the site that touch several of the topics that you mentioned. There is a Glossary, although it is not fully "engineered" it does have lots of nautical and maritime terms, additionaly there is a couple of other glossary pages that offer various term defined. I have in mind to build a engine glossary, but just being quite short of time, its challenging to do the things just to maintain the site. You can find them in the "Others Section" of the "Ships' Library".

On the machinery page there is some decent pages for learning from, in particular the pump page under "aux machinery". There is also a couple of documents that may interest you on fuel and its management. Dissecting and descriptive component type of information is a bit thin on the site as I feel there is plenty access to it in multiple books and several other websites, some of which are found in the links area further down the machinery page.

I am hoping to incorporate a search feature for the website in the near future that will allow visitors to find faster what they want. As the site has grown a great deal, many nuggets of valuable information have been buried here and there.

I am flattered that I could be considered a mentor, although I don't think I would qualify in allot of people eyes, as I have much to experience myself. The web site is a result of my own journey gaining this experience and I am happy to share it, as I found that people were reluctant to share the information when I needed it. I no longer consider myself green, but I certainly have much to learn.

I am always happy to share the knowledge I have obtained through my experiences, so feel free to send me whatever email you want, I will do my best to answer it, as it challenges me to really get to know my craft.
Last edited by The Dieselduck on Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
Dieseldame
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Nova Scotia / Caribbean

Impressive

Post by Dieseldame »

Martin, thank you so much for the response - I really appreciate the work you are doing here - its a wonderful resource and I'm sure it takes a lot of time to maintain at the standard that you do. I will look up the references you mentioned. Keep up the great work...and don't worry I'll ask lots more questions!

DD
conrod
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Nanoose Bay BC, Canada

Post by conrod »

Martin, I like the idea of mentorship. I for one would put my name down. There is nothing worse than joining a boat where the 3/E or 4/E has no clue. If you know you are getting a lemon, then you are prepared with ice and gin..............and I have no problem spending time to teach them, but when you really need a good sqaud it is a pain to go back to basics, with a supposedly qualified engineer from East of Greenwich.

Dieseldame............where in the Carib you from. I have spent the last 3 years in Galeota Point, Trindad...........although technically it is the Atlantic.
Dieseldame
Engineering Mentor

Mentors

Post by Dieseldame »

Hey Conrad, thanks for stepping up the mentoring plate. I'm back in Canada now, I worked on a few contracts in the yachting field and decided for now to return to ships. To prove that mentoring does work, I've now added gin to my kit bag. :lol:
Dieseldame
Engineering Mentor

Idea

Post by Dieseldame »

Martin, I'm mostly responding to you in this email...in an earlier post you commented about future plans for the site but alas, lack of that precious resource...time! Rightly so, the site is great, a lot of work. So, is there any way we could work together to help build the site...a wikipedia type model..you being the website guru might have some ideas about this but I for one would be willing to put some time into helping out!

DD
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Wikineering

Post by The Dieselduck »

Thank you "conrod" and "dieseldame" for your offers to help; I see you are avid participants in this forum and the community can certainly use your help. I know "JK's", and many others, extensive input and experience has been appreciated on this new forum as well as the old one..

I have made up a new ranking designation "Engineering Mentor" (I think mentorships are a great idea). If you wish to have the designation apply to your account, here in the Forum, please "PM" me when you get a second. That will allow you to be recognized as a person of resource and openess to the community at large. That goes for any of you visitors, who are willing to share your knowledge, I would be happy to provide a designation that people will feel comfortable directing a question to.

Additionally, I am always on the lookout for people interested to post news, events, comments and observations affecting the commercial maritime world on "The Monitor" (http://www.dieselduck.blogspot.com) - www.dieselduck.net's blog. Let me know of your interest by "PM"ing me or sending me an email and I will send you "invitations" for administrative privileges on the The Monitor- the site's blogosphere presence.

About a wiki, I have actually been thinking about it seriously for the last year, but it is like "how do you eat an elephant" - the elephant being the metaphor for the huge task that encompasses such an undertaking (my usual answer is "one bite at a time"). One late night I thought that "wikineering" would be a good name, but someone already has that name taken. My first bite has been over salted, arggghh! But seriously, it is on the drawing board, and it could really bring a whole new level of excellence in idea and experience exchange for the marine engineering community. Wikipedia is such a a great asset to the world at large, for the information exchange it provides without being monopolized, I think it would be great to apply that to our profession.

Anyways, it is a very real possibility and I would certainly love to hear from you if your interested in helping out in this task, the technical side of things is actually not that difficult, at least I find. The content and its accuracy, is more challenging.

Either way, I am very happy to see that people are participating in the forum, I felt there was some trepidation about the new look and format, and most of all the signing up process. But I believe the level of participation in such a short time means that is that there is a genuine needs for this area. I was looking at the old board and saw that the many regulars on that one, have not signed up here, I hope that all your participation here illustrates to them that the sign up process is benign and easy.

Anyways, I drag on...
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
Dieseldame
Engineering Mentor

Wikiduck

Post by Dieseldame »

Hey Martin, I'm just back from a trip and see you have been busy again. On the wiki front I wonder if the folks at wikipedia would be interested in a partnership of some kind..no sense reinventing the wheel. Then the concentration could be on the immense task of content.

DD
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

There is a marine forum already developing this concept. They have over 20,000 members and it is slow going.
Dieseldame
Engineering Mentor

Content site

Post by Dieseldame »

And what is the site's address?