To the cowards that moderate this forum...

You can post your questions, problems, kudos and comments about the administration of the website here.
marineprojectgroup
Deck Plate Wanderer
Currently located: Nanaimo BC

To the cowards that moderate this forum...

Postby marineprojectgroup » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:17 pm

I posted the following re the systemic discrimination against the white male. The post was receiving ample support from everyone, but you cowards that moderate this forum deleted it.
I ask you - How long is the white male going to roll over and let ourselves be shat all over, including being shat on by this forums moderators ?

To you that moderate this forum, I say thumbs down to you and your insane politically correct pandering.

"We encourage applications from Aboriginal people, visible minorities, women" - in other words the White Male need not apply.
I ask you: Would we tolerate this blatant discrimination against any other demographic ? Would we dare to deny jobs and opportunities to any other demographic based solely on gender and race ? Imagine the howls of outrage if we did...
Indeed we have a long way to go to end systemic discrimination in this country.

And this garbage about NFLD jobs only for NFLDers ? Imagine the howls of outrage if Alberta denied NFLDers jobs based solely on their residence ?

JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: To the cowards that moderate this forum...

Postby JK » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:42 am

I deleted your original topic after answering the posts and letting it stand for over a day.

The mere fact that you say it has ample support from everyone is a sham, as you only had one response from someone as......I will use the word misguided, as yourself.

The fact you refer to me as a coward is actually quite funny. I, dear sir, have withstood and done more then you will ever have.
More to the fact, I prefer not to let racism and elitism fester and develop as an open sore.

So, to show what a privileged white male looks like, I have ripped the bandage off the topic which was tucked away in a hidden part of the forum, and moved it to the open area where all the world can see it, taking it literally from the elitist to the common realm.

I'll start with white privilege.....which immediately gives a leg up to an individual over people of color, in that they are mostly immune to the challenges that people of color face:
- perceived stereotypes of financial responsibilities, speaking skills, education, of performance on the job
-that they got their job or where they are professionally, because of their race
-harassment by law enforcement, being followed, to the extreme of being shot and killed because of holding a cellphone in their hand.
-on the job harassment, bullying or degradation, denial of a fair share of OT, being blamed for incidents, over and above what could be considered reasonable for what happened and continued to be held up as an example long past the due date.
-physical threats by others
-being denied a job that they are equally qualified for on basis of their color
-being denied promotion that they are equally qualified for on basis of color

All you have to do is read any comment section, on any Canadian news regarding the Canadian native tribes, to see this on full display. Probably very nice people, to other whites, express view points that are so vile, that any recipient must surely shrivel up and die inside with no self worth.

How about the male part.... especially in male dominated professions like going to sea. A woman faces:
-can't do the job, not strong enough, can't carry anything up stairs, can't read blueprints..can't ,can't can't...
-I'm not taking no orders from a woman half my age and size, who can't haul their weight!
-She should be home raising a family...she must be a lesbo, or variations of that word.
-I can get all the information regarding this ship by buying her dinner, next port
-Oho, I'm a man, she'll want me, if not I will follow her around the ship, go through her open window, door, get her drunk...sexually assault her,rape her....then the male outrage hate and and personal violation that they are turned down by the woman...which now means she is a lesbo because how the hell could she turn this fine example of maledom down otherwise.
-Dammit, another woman, nothing but trouble with the crew, said, while lounging around watching the above behavior, usually by some senior management type.
_Oho, an order from the little woman, I will intimidate, physically abuse, and if that doesn't work, threaten to kill her to get my way.
-My personal favorite, said to me, taking a job from a man who has to support a family.

When the tables are turned and it is perceived that a persons white skin is being against them for a job, being pulled over by a cop, being blamed, being prejudged, then there follows the outrage, the violation, anger, rage. How DARE they! I am WHITE! White privilege is hidden, transparent and difficult to address.
Wealth, social status, brains and belonging to a special group all do seem to be pieces of elitism. But the one component that covers it all is snobbery — the person who looks down his, or her, nose on others, the person who thinks he is better than others, who thinks it’s his way or the wrong way, who views others as inferior. So that means that racists and extreme fundamentalists are elitists.
( Thanks, Huffington Post, your words covers this situation nicely.)

Today, I chose to address it. I gave the individual the opportunity to reconsider his words. I chose to delete the previous thread, because in my conversations with the sites owner, I was clear that as a moderator, from day 1 of this forum, I would in no way tolerate this kind of commentary. This is an engineering forum, not a personal ax to grind forum.
I'm sorry you seem to have lost a job, or a position, but as you apparently are some kind of business entity, I suggest you look to your behaviors, expectations and obvious slants in perceptions instead of casting aspersions on others who are just as good, maybe better, but have been systematically denied equal opportunities because of sex and color.
I will not tolerate any of this bias on this forum as long as I am a moderator. I answer to Diesel Duck only and I know he supports my stand.

The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Statement from the Administrator

Postby The Dieselduck » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:13 pm

Well I guess this email is one way to get my attention from the 75 or so daily emails I get.

You posted your comments last week; I saw them right away and thought to myself, “great, in this day and age!”, I still have to address this kind of misguided comments, which I believe lack credibility, and are completely void of empathy – something I see of what might be “wrong with north America”.

I thought of deleting your comments, as I clearly do not agree with the tone and specifics of your comments. They do not belong in my community and frankly, they are embarrassing to me. One of our community’s long time contributor did delete your comments, and my lack of prompt response forced an appropriate response to your comments, as the reason given to me was “…because I’m old and tired of bullies”, actions which I find wholly appropriate.

Clearly, you are in a dark place, filed with anger and resentment, I am not sure my response will be of use to you. I hope that you can find some peace in your voyage through life.

I did not delete your comments because it is important for me to respond to them, as a father of three boys, as a chief engineer in a position of leadership, and as a member of this community, I need offer a meaningful response that doesn’t drop to a level where coherent arguments are not possible – perhaps “another thing, that’s wrong with Canada.” However, with the many “hats” I wear, my time is somewhat short, especially this week, as Mari-Tech was being rolled out in Victoria. I was a volunteer organizer of this complex event for our National, not for profit organization, that I hope, will take a more active role in representing issues important to Canadian Marine Engineers, and by default other Canadian seafarers, such a yourself, to our elected leaders in Ottawa.

My delay in addressing your comments on the forum, is my fault and I apologize, not to you, but to our community.

I believe that there is merit in your feelings of resentment and anger by what I see are clear facts that yes, indeed, in the seafaring world there has been a dramatic increase in productivity made possible by the hard work and sacrifice of seafarers all over the world. This work has allowed world trade to burgeon beyond belief, and created a great deal of wealth. Numerous charts and graphs that I have encountered strongly suggest that despite this growth in “productivity” our compensation has marginally increased in the past 30 years. For me, and many around the world – perhaps you too - I see this as being really wrong, and is frustrating for me as well.

Taking into consideration that we have a marine industry with very high male dominance, I can see why you feel this is an attack on you. Perhaps a sustained attack, considering that seafaring has a long history, and, an especially long history of oppression and abuse. I acknowledge that you feel slighted, but I find blaming non male whites for these problems is a convenient narrative delivered to us from the ones that have profited the most from this injustice. A well-worn tactic, if I am not mistaken.

Your comments remind me of when I worked at McKeil, and we had these “Crew Meetings” in the spring. One of the Second Engineer, a kind, competent individual attending one such meeting, who was born and raised in Halifax - not menacing, or particularly outstanding in a physical way, was asked by hotel staff to leave the Niagara Falls hotel where the crew meeting was happening, for no other reason than the tone of his skin was darker than mine. It was beyond my belief that an Officer in the Canadian Merchant Marine would be treated this way; a person with a decent income, an employee from a company that had not only rented the conference facilities, but many hotel rooms, and catering services – a customer, not to mention, a fellow human. It was not the first time, but certainly reinforced my belief that there is a massive amount of drive and character that non-white males individual must muster to be in our profession.

Drive, professionalism and character is certainly not a thing I want to exclude in my life, work, or community. I welcome it, as it will make us all better professionals and better humans. I value their contributions, perhaps as a community, we will be force to stop navel gazing and use their positive energy to better our conditions instead of wallowing in defeatism, and blaming our peers for our perceived misfortunes.

In so far as your comments of Newfoundland and its exceptional work environment; I also have issues with this policy for the same reason as the above, it’s not fair to Canadians seafarers. Although I understand where this government’s policy originated, I strongly believe that it needs to be reviewed, and I have brought it up on this forum and in my many discussion with peers over the years. Although it is not an issues that is at the forefront of my limited resources, it is one that I believe needs to be address to prevent long term, national destabilizing affects – as clearly illustrated by your comments.

It is Saturday, I have had a busy month, my kids are outside on a beautiful day and I am tired. C.B., I am not sure you will be receptive of my comments, but I hope the rest of the community reading this appreciates the point of view.

I have posted your email, which include your original comments posted on The Common Rail, the forum area of Martin’s Marine Engineering Page – http://www.dieselduck.net. I have suspended your account for one month, as I find that being called a “cowards and true sack of shit individuals” to be setting a bad tempo for the community. By the way, a community that has taken almost 20 years to build, not to mention a community that is free to use, but that I pay real dollars to maintain.

Please use my email in further communication, and after a month, I welcome all constructive and respectful comments on the appropriate area of the forum.

Sincerely,

Martin Leduc
Licensed Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin’s Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net

Sent: April 19, 2018 3:35 PM
To: martin@dieselduck.net
Subject: Martin...

Martin,

I am very disappointed in you re your cowardice. A man of integrity stands up for what is right. YOU have proven yourself as no man of integrity.

Martin – it is due to cowards and true sack of shit individuals like you that we find Canada is in the mess it is in. You are in no way any better than those you rail against. You are a hypocrite of the worst kind.

If you want to face me you know where to find me.

This is a copy of the post you deleted:

“I posted the following re the systemic discrimination against the white male. The post was receiving ample support from everyone, but you cowards that moderate this forum deleted it.
I ask you - How long is the white male going to roll over and let ourselves be shat all over, including being shat on by this forums moderators ?

To you that moderate this forum, I say thumbs down to you and your insane politically correct pandering.”

"We encourage applications from Aboriginal people, visible minorities, women" - in other words the White Male need not apply.
I ask you: Would we tolerate this blatant discrimination against any other demographic ? Would we dare to deny jobs and opportunities to any other demographic based solely on gender and race ? Imagine the howls of outrage if we did...
Indeed we have a long way to go to end systemic discrimination in this country.

And this garbage about NFLD jobs only for NFLDers ? Imagine the howls of outrage if Alberta denied NFLDers jobs based solely on their residence ?”

C.B. Chapman
Vancouver Island Waterjet
3200 Farrar Road Cedar BC V9G 1E1
info@islandwaterjet.com http://www.islandwaterjet.com
Ph. (250) 323 0797

JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

comment from one of “them” groups

Postby JK » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:28 pm

To read posts that refer to other groups that aren’t the preferred one, one that I just happen to be one of, as”them” is not a pleasant experience. One I never expected to see here

In 40 years of my work as an engineer, I have had many,very unpleasant work experiences, where my “ group” was not wanted. Actively discouraged, physically threatened, death threats. This is not made up stuff, this happens. It still happens, as today I had yet another conversation with another victim of this behaviour.

To read a post that rails against attempts to end systemic discrimination and calls me a coward and you a such a term tells me much about the writers and it isn’t pretty and it isn’t about frustrations

Saying that, I never realized how much this topic has been resurrected in this Trumpian era with articles both in the Van Sun and Globe.
I have attached the Globe link and encourage everyone who questions this policy to read it as it lays out the requirements pretty clearly:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busines ... nder-what/

Return to “Website Area”