Marine 2nd engineer looking for offshore job in canada

If you hold or held a Marine Engineering license and wish to work ashore in the Maritime Industry. Feel free to announce your availability here.
raghu.belman
First Time Poster
Currently located: bangalore

Marine 2nd engineer looking for offshore job in canada

Post by raghu.belman »

Dear Seniors,

I am 2nd Engineer, from india holding Class I license.I have 12 years of experience in various rank upto 2nd engieer on oil tankers.From past 6 years am sailing as 2nd engineer.From 2014 I shifted from main fleet to Offshore vessels.Presently am working on ORO,PSV DP2 vessels in Brazil.
I am interested in migrating to canada and look for some shore/offshore job.I have started the proceedings for the above.
Could any one please enlighten me about the available shore job oppurtunities in canada with my above license done in India and experience.
Also can I sail on Canadian Offshore vessels (with Foreign Flagged ) with my Indian COC and whether these kind of vessels do persisit in canadian coast.
Awaiting reply.

Thanks in advance.

Raghu Belman.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Re: Marine 2nd engineer looking for offshore job in canada

Post by JollyJack »

Your first step is to apply to Canada as a Permanent Resident. Once here, go through Direct Entry process to be assesed a for a Canadian CoC. Once you have that, I can attest the the best possible shore job is as an Inspector with Transport Canada, so apply for that!
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

Because we all know they don't inspect any more
[email protected]
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: india

Post by [email protected] »

Hi seniors, I am Gaurang Thathagar from India. I am holding indian class one certificate of competency & have sailed as chief engineer for 12 months on product & chemical tankers. I have sailed through out on oil, product & chemical tankers right from trainee marine engineer rank. Pls help with the oppurtunities available in canada for shore job as well as ship jobs in canada. I have 2 questions

1) If I want to sail in canada coastal ships than i hope I have to acquire Canadian COC. what is the procedure/ training/ exams required to be appeared by me for acquiring canadian COC of class one.

2) I am a mechanical engineer passed in june 2002 from Mumbai university. If in case I want to do shore job, than what are the scope/ oppurtunities availabe in canada & what are the procedures/training/ exams to be appeared for working as engineer at shore based engineering firm.

Thanking you all in anticipation for the response.
3dtech
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: india

Post by 3dtech »

thanks for this valuable information
Thanks.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

To acquire a Canadian CoC you must first be a Permanent Resident or a Citizen of Canada. Next step, present all records, including a valid STCW CoC, all MED, STCW Vi'1,VI/2 and Vi/3, a complete record of qualifying service, including sea time and school time, a transcript of College marks for Marine theory Exams and a syllabus of training, including hours spent on each subject.

The whole package goes to a wee man in Ottawa who picks through the package to verify each part. If you said you sailed on the MV Ghingiwallah or the SS Bhindari, there had better be articles with your name on 'em When it's all confirmed, you will get a letter from the wee man in the Ivory Tower in Ottawa, letting you know what you have been exempted and what exams you must take. You will always be required to write EKG, EKM and Oral Exams, sometimes NAR (depending on what you have done, and Engineering Drawing) There are other training courses particular to Canada, Propulsion Plant Simulator, vessel security. and Team Management. Training done in STCW countries which are signatory to the 2010 Manila Amendments are acceptable in Canada
Discourage incest, ban country "music".