what is so called CANADIAN EXPERIENCE

In this area, you can comment on employers, trends, jobs, rumors affecting the jobs and job prospect of Marine Engineers.
szrad
Bilge Dweller

what is so called CANADIAN EXPERIENCE

Post by szrad »

It's been 6 month I just keep on sending my resume to many Companies all around Canada, but I do not know what is wrong cuz I got not even a single reply. I do not have what is so called CANADIAN EXPERIENCE!!!!????? and I think it is very important in this people mind here.
If that is true then I would like to ask Canadian Employers that do they believe, no job has been carried out perfectly outside Canada? that is why having Canadian experience is that important.
and otherwise what do they loos if they hire someone without Canadian experience? and an important question will remain that what the immigrant do while they do not have Canadian experience surely? of course they have some new ideas and style of working and knowledge too if they hire.
I have been working in a company for over 12 years with the highest standards that can be ever imagine sailing all around the world, and when I see the Canadian ships are not comparable at all, the ships are so old and the stories that I heard from fellow Canadian during my courses in Georgian college are just showes me the working condition is horrible with compare with ships we operate with that standard. as far as remember during my 12 years service we didn't have a single incident or a major breakdown so if I do not have Canadian experience what does it mean?
I think it is a good idea to change my field completely.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Re: 3rd/4th class marine engineer for western arctic

Post by The Dieselduck »

Szrad welcome to Canada, like I said in reply to another similar posting, marine job hunting in Canada is a frustrating experience.

I have worked on foreign going vessel and I have worked on Canadian vessels, for the most part I do agree with you, I don't understand the difference "great lakes experience", or "Canadian experience" might come into play for engineers, I sometimes agree with needing experience on a tug, but that more of a mindset prerequisite rather than technical knowledge.

Employers in the past have expressed concerns that other industries have been poaching engineers, especially from Georgian College. Nuclear power plants have been known to do this in the past. Canadian companies don't express a show of good faith in trying to keep engineers in the ranks for future use. I believe it is counter productive for the industry and certainly creates a lot of frustration on people trying to get in such as yourself.

I moved this post, originally posted in the "available jobs" area, perhaps more people will share they're experience and perhaps an idea or two, can surface to help companies better communicate their needs with this marine engineering community.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
Jon
Deck Plate Wanderer

Re: what is so called CANADIAN EXPERIENCE

Post by Jon »

Keep your head up Szrad.
I moved here 3 years ago and it took me 2 years to finally find a job.
Since then I have done contract and full time work with lay offs here and there.
But I've noticed that once I got experience and made some contacts things got better.
Try not to get frustrated just keep at the Human resource people. I have applied to just about every marine company in Canada (except the French speaking ones). The worst thing you can do is become bitter.
You'll get work just keep trying. I feel your pain man.
Good luck.
Jon
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: what is so called CANADIAN EXPERIENCE

Post by JK »

Interesting comments. The only thing I could see that would be Canadian experience is running an engine room in the ice, both in the Arctic and the Gulf of St Lawrence. You only get that experience by actually doing it so there is no benefit for the company in screening applicants.