jobs on cruise/passenger ship

In this area, you can comment on employers, trends, jobs, rumors affecting the jobs and job prospect of Marine Engineers.
First Time Poster

jobs on cruise/passenger ship

Postby akh132pkl » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:36 pm

have been trying to get a suitable job on passenger/cruise/yatch or ferry.
am INDIAN by nationality and hold M.E.O. Class-1 (motor) from india.
STCW compliant and chief engineer exp since 1997, aged 51 years.
if anybody could please guide:
e-mail to me
cell no:0091-9417359820.

Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Nova Scotia / Caribbean

Looking for work

Postby Dieseldame » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:37 pm

Google "just4engineers"

The Dieselduck
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

It is what it is...

Postby The Dieselduck » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:24 pm

I am not sure what you have tried, but I have many links on the Job Page of the main site, especially to most cruise companies. From my experience they do work, thats how I wound up working on cruise ships at differing companies.

The cruise lines' HR Dept are notorious for being a big black hole full of mystery on how the hell they make up their mind, and not letting you know anything until you get a call "can you be on the ship tomorrow". Generally it is one or two persons in charge of connecting you to a job on board. Getting your sharp looking and concise resume to that person is of paramount importance, best achieved by someone already working there.

I have about a 50% success rate when it come to referral to a cruise company I worked for. I am not sure why they took some not others, but generally speaking it is a business largely dependent on appearances. Young, smart looking (keyword "looking"), Caucasian, unattached, and adventurous (willing to settle for a low salary) certainly will have an easier time than most. ...and usually for lower ranks.

Thats my perspective...
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page

Return to “General Job topics”