Guild on strike (?)

In this area, you can comment on employers, trends, jobs, rumors affecting the jobs and job prospect of Marine Engineers.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Guild on strike (?)

Post by The Dieselduck »

Anybody know whats going on over at the Groupe Desgagnes - Tankers. I hear rumours that the officers are on strike.

What the heck is going on? Which union, which crew involved, why, how long, who's affected, and why does it seem like a secret?
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
Sébastien
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Québec

Re: Guild on strike (?)

Post by Sébastien »

Hello Martin,
Yes, it is true that the officers working for the tanker division of Desgagnés went on strike on the 16th of November. Until recently, the deck officers were with the Guild and the engineer officers were with the CMOU. The contract that the CMOU had with the company expired in mid-June. Since late winter/early spring the engineer officers are now also with the Guild. The issue is strictly money, the officers want a dramatic increase in pay whereas the company offer was slightly above cost of living increases. The strike is not really a secret, but it involves so few ships that no one really noticed. Desgagnés tanker division comprises eight ships. The old Rigel ships (Dara, Esta and Jana) are not affected because although they were purchased by Desgagnés a few years ago, they have not yet been integrated in the management side of things, so the ships are still managed and crewed by the old Rigel staff. The Sarah was sailing internationally with a foreign crew when the strike started so she is unaffected. Maria and Véga have just stopped for scheduled repairs so they are also unaffected. As you well know, McCleary's Spirit is on long term charter and managed and crewed by its owner so she is not really in the picture. So what's left? My trusty old Thalassa is the only ship 'really' on strike. We are currently sailing with four captains and three chief engineers. Quite the sight to see, quite top heavy in the ranks department: four master mariner tickets and three first class motor tickets to sail an old tanker.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Re: Guild on strike (?)

Post by The Dieselduck »

I figure Id get the story straight from you. Thalassa passed us last week at the American Narrows, or something like that, you guys seemed pretty light and in a hurry.

Thanks for the explanation. But why is Thalassa still sailing? You guys not Guild? Or are the Chief and CO running all the officer ranks... really... oh my, that must be a scary sight. ehehehehe. A classic case of "too many chief not enough indians".

When the "strike" start?

Let me guess the Government will use this to bring in more foreign ships in cabotage. The other thing is the guild website, or news sites are mum, not a peep to be had anywhere, WTF. I also heard there is no strike pay. WTF again. And striking just before winter lay up, who's bright idea was that, kinda takes the wind out of the sails don't it... Why are they striking anyways, seems like there is plenty of jobs that they can demand better wages and have credible alternative. None of it of it seems to make any sense to me.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net