TeeKay Tankers information

In this area, you can comment on employers, trends, jobs, rumors affecting the jobs and job prospect of Marine Engineers.
A.DUG
Tanktop Cleaner
Currently located: Ottawa

TeeKay Tankers information

Post by A.DUG »

Good day

I am wondering if any of you have sailed for TeeKay tankers and would be able to tell me about the work conditions on board? What is the leave system like?
I have my 4th class motor and working on my tanker endorsement as we speak and am quite interested in applying for this company.

Thank you very much
Do it Once, Do it right.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Re: TeeKay Tankers information

Post by JollyJack »

TeeKay are, in my opinion, one of the better tanker companies. Every TeeKay ship I have been aboard has been spotless and well run. I can't remember ever having to do a Form B deficiency on a TeeKay ship. That said, every TeeKay crew I have seen has been Asian.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
westcoaster
Bilge Dweller

Post by westcoaster »

With a 4th class ticket you will be a 3rd engineer. As a junior officer your work rotation will be 3 months on and 2 months off. Thier ships are all very modern, the oldest ones are around 15 years. I sailed with them as a cadet and then two shifts as 3rd engineer. The working conditions are good, the ships are clean and its a great way to get deep sea experiance. Their ships operate world wide so its a great way to travel as well. As 3rd you will be in charge of the boilers which is very good steam experiance. The boilers are low pressure 16 bar but quite large at around 30 t/h to run the cargo pumps. Its the best steam experience your going to get without actually sailing on a steam ship. The crew is all Philippino with officers being primarily Indian, Croatian, and Philippino. There were a few Canadians left when I was there in 2009 but I don't think there are many left sailing with the company. If your looking to make money Teekay is not the place, I would only go there for the experiance which will pay off later down the road. For a Canadian 3rd engineer the salary is around 2500 British pounds per month gross, with no overtime, health or dental benefits.

Hope this helps, good luck!
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

These "donkey boilers" which supply steam for the cargo pumps are much bigger than the propulsion boilers on some of the steam ships I've sailed in! Had these 16 bar "donkeys" on tankers (motor!), to run cargo pump turbines (and the up-and-downer stripping pump) and supply IG from the uptakes to inert the tanks as we discharged. Great steam experience but, unfortunately, doesn't count as steam time.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".