companies on the west coast

In this area, you can comment on employers, trends, jobs, rumors affecting the jobs and job prospect of Marine Engineers.
dermott03
Bilge Dweller

companies on the west coast

Post by dermott03 »

Hello all!
Finally I am on the board no longer as a ERR but a full 4th class engineer. Now the job hunting can begin! I am looking to move somewhere new. From the East coast of newfoundland to the west coast of canada. Any opinions about the companies out there? The wife wants to move to the yukon and as we all know it doesn't really matter where we live so long as the misses is happy. I welcome opinions, experiences, and warnings! Thank you.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: companies on the west coast

Post by JK »

Congratulations on acquiring your certificate.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

Indeed Dermott03, congratulations.
Its been many years since I've worked on the west coast, even though I live here. However you would not be the first Newfoundlander to wander out this way for work aboard. I just kinda of got fed up with the whole west coast attitude that "you should feel lucky to have a job with us" that I've experienced working for numerous companies on this coast.

Its been kinda comical to approach a company in BC over the years, its always "its really slow right now" - and its been that way since the 90s - granted, the lumber industry has plummeted since then too, but I am just so sick of hearing that line. I now work in central Canada mostly, where there is plenty of work if you want it, although it may not be the best conditions. The work there is straight forward, you work you get paid, not too many asses to kiss, and there enough of it so ha not to get mired in a mental depression.

Another problem on the west coast is that many things move by sea, by tugs. These tugs are normally too small HP to require engineers, or too high HP and require 2nd class. So there is allot of movement, but for engineers, they're aren't too many roles. There is also allot of tugs on this coast which, by some weird reason, do not require engineers. Anywhere else in Canada, manning certificate is one way, but in BC for some reason the tugs are special and don't require engineers like similar tugs in other Canadian ports. Very strange indeed. 6000 hp and no engineer aboard, awesome!
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

you know, I noticed that about BC when I worked out there. I figure it is the Rockies to blame. 1300 and communications from East stop, so they can do whatever they damn well want and then bitch about not having enough.
dermott03
Bilge Dweller

Post by dermott03 »

HI again to all. I have been coming across exactly what you have mentioned. Lots of ship activity but very little interest in 4th's. I have made the rooky mistake of listening to the office at my current place of work telling me not to worry, there will be a 4th slot for me after my days off. The fact that I am currently on my way back to an oilers position means they have not been completely truthful. I am on tankers and part of the SIU, don't have to stay on tankers and curious about what companies you recommend for central canada? I am not.above firing resumes off to companies before they have any positios posted. Thanks all!
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

In my experience, typical HR dept in this business are only there to "put out fires" so the closest resume at hand that can satisfy the requirements at that time, is the one they go for. So definitely, keep sending resume in, don't take it personally, if it winds up in the garbage, if its not in front of the eyes, your not going to be considered.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
camshaft
Deck Plate Wanderer
Currently located: The Left Coast

Post by camshaft »

Hi dermott03,

If you're reading this I'm guessing that you've seen the BCF posting on this forum looking for ERRs, particularly ERRs with a 4th cert. Now there are a number of things to consider here just like any other career/lifestyle decision, but I'm posting this in case you or anyone wants to engage in the conversation. This is a casual position so how much work one will get is an issue but at least BCF has the guts to post the most important item -the salary. So many companies prefer to keep you guessing...
mrobert1962
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Victoria British Columbia

Post by mrobert1962 »

Moving to BC from Newfoundland might not be the greatest choice, If you did land a job with BCF at 26 bucks an hour you would starve to death in the lower mainland on that wage.