wages

In this area, you can comment on employers, trends, jobs, rumors affecting the jobs and job prospect of Marine Engineers.
tintean
Deck Plate Wanderer

wages

Post by tintean »

What is the rate of pay, generally speaking, for 2 CM on the Great Lakes??
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Re: wages

Post by The Dieselduck »

I don't what it is actually these days but I am thinking they should be in the $550-650cdn a day range.
In my humble opinion, targets should be...
4th Class - 425-500/day
3rd Class - 500-600/day
2nd Class - 550-650/day
1st Class - 650+/day
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
camshaft
Deck Plate Wanderer
Currently located: The Left Coast

Post by camshaft »

I've thought about this post off and on for years now and I've finally gone back to find it. I'm puzzled that no one seems interested in this. Does no one care what the wages are for marine engineers or does everyone already know it all? Isn't it in our interest to share this info or do we just leave it up to the employers to set the wages?

Martin has posted some targets, how does this compare to the real world? Maybe he's just nailed it and there's no more to be said? When I look at this scale the top end seems a bit conservative.

Anyhow - All the Best in the New Year to everyone...
Sea Rover
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by Sea Rover »

I'd say that scale is correct.

110,000/185 = 590

That's what most permanent 2/E's seem to be doing............
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

Hey Camshaft, I've been ashore many years now doing ship repair, superintedentancy and most lately, chief bottle washer. I wouldn't have a guess now, what wages would be, which is why I read and passed by.
Revolver
Chief Engineer

Post by Revolver »

On the lakes, I'd say 4th and 3rd class would make less than those numbers unless they're getting 4 hours OT every day.

Probably average accurate for 2nds.

And $650 plus would make sense for chief on a tug or something and of course plus for anything bigger and beyond.
The Dieselduck
Administrator

Post by The Dieselduck »

Yes, it always puzzle me that we, as a group, fail to communicate our wants and needs in a cohesive way, or even share information here, which would lead us to make better individual choices. I would suggest that this lack of discussion had led to the clusterf**ck that is the new TC license system, and of course the fact that we are always getting led by the nose by the companies on wages and conditions.

I realize that we have very few avenue for this "lobbying" or forwarding these ideas, this space probably being the only one, since the unions seems to have their own priorities, and there is not other recourse for us as professionals. I would suggest that open dialogue on things such as wages and conditions, can at least make engineers aware of their own individual choices. These choices are for each one to make, but I hope most realize that they affect all of us.

Anyways, Tintean, thanks for kicking the dog back awake, not sure if you saw the blog post I had made earlier this year on this topics, but you can find part one - The Hamburger, and Part 2 The Wages on my blog - they both deal with this.

http://www.dieselduck.info/blog/2017/06 ... ge-part-1/
http://www.dieselduck.info/blog/2017/06 ... rt-2-of-2/
Martin Leduc
FWMallard
First Time Poster
Currently located: Toronto

Post by FWMallard »

I’ve always thought we were a little too secretive about wages in Canada. If you know what everyone makes we all make more.
For one company on the Lakes
2nd 37.64
3rd 34.19
4th 33.24
So with Sat (1.5) Sun (2) time that’s $2559.52 a week or $365 a day for a 2nd class.
Yes there is overtime but overtime is not guaranteed and should not be factored in when talking about wages. Company’s don’t want to pay it now a days anyways so why should our pay be based upon it.
There is other “perks” vacation pay etc but that can very company By company.

Once you start adding on overtime the avg rate for a 2nd is $548 a day. That’s on a really good year with a high OT boat.

I really enjoyed Martins post on wages, thank you for putting that together. Even though I’m at the end of my career, I’m hoping we can see some positive changes in the industry befor I ring FWE.
Revolver
Chief Engineer

Post by Revolver »

Sounds like CSL. Which will be pretty much exactly the same as algoma cargo ships.

The trillium class ships only have Chief, 2nd, 3rd, so the 2/3 do 12 hr days - so consistent OT will make lots of $$.
6 weeks x 6 weeks I believe.
The older ones have 2/3/4th engineers I believe still.

Self unloaders are like $1 more an hour than the straight backs.

I don't know about algoma tankers.

Atlantic towing
Jr 4th class - $80k
Jr 3rd class - $100k
2nd - $130k
1st - $160k

Canship
4th - $85
3rd - $115
2nd - $150
1st ~ $200

Mckeil
$400/day 2nd on tugs
$550 chief tugs
$350/day 3rd cargo
$550 2nd cargo
$700 Chief cargo

Lower lakes
$425/day 4th
$525/ 3rd
$625/ 2nd
$800/ 1st

Group Ocean is probably the same as Mckeil tugs.

Coast guard is public knowledge.
Provincial ferries probably are too.

This is all from what I hear from people shooting the shit so I can't know if any are entirely accurate, but that's what I hear.

I'm certain that I know knowing for certain, that I'm certain of.
The Dieselduck
Administrator

Post by The Dieselduck »

Groupe Ocean is hard to pin down due to their miss mash use of engineers. But 4th was around 350 a day - yeah ridiculous low, 3rd 520 a day. Not sure of seconds but probably was conservative.
Martin Leduc
Revolver
Chief Engineer

Post by Revolver »

The Dieselduck wrote:Yes, it always puzzle me that we, as a group, fail to communicate our wants and needs in a cohesive way, or even share information here, which would lead us to make better individual choices. I would suggest that this lack of discussion had led to the clusterf**ck that is the new TC license system, and of course the fact that we are always getting led by the nose by the companies on wages and conditions.

I realize that we have very few avenue for this "lobbying" or forwarding these ideas, this space probably being the only one, since the unions seems to have their own priorities, and there is not other recourse for us as professionals. I would suggest that open dialogue on things such as wages and conditions, can at least make engineers aware of their own individual choices. These choices are for each one to make, but I hope most realize that they affect all of us.
So... Project TC? Tell us more lol
The Dieselduck
Administrator

Post by The Dieselduck »

Yeah, I see what you are getting at. The project is not mine per se, I am facilitating a discussion among a small group of our peers affected by the recent TC SSB fiasco, they have asked for a private discussion area, so as to share ideas and formulate a response to their issue. I suspect they'll want to share once they have a plan or something to talk about.
Martin Leduc
Revolver
Chief Engineer

Post by Revolver »

Gotcha, yeah it'll be a good idea to come up with a "plan of attack", and then get some more ideas and support.
You say it's for peers affected by the SSB, but we were all effected by the debacle... So, while I expressed my opinion about the SSB, I fully support trying to attempt some resolution between TC and...us.
It feels such like a us vs them, when... They fuckin work for us, we pay them... So it should be a BENEFICIAL MUTUAL RELATIONSHIP.
I want to see success for everyone, while also being properly knowledgeable/trained/equipped to be the 'best' engineers on the planet... Ideals, hey lol
PerpetualQuickFixes
Tanktop Cleaner
Currently located: Canada

Post by PerpetualQuickFixes »

Wages will decrease as more engineers immigrate in. Hard times for those countries but who cares.
Oversupply on labour side, means easier to find someone desperate to work even for lower wage.
No amount of union bickering can change it.

Eventually the CSA won't even specify that it has to be Canadian crews, the ships will be able to hire anyone for any price. Exactly like Australia.
What's the difference between Canada and India when Canada is 10% Indian? 30%?
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

That has been the purpose of Canada's adoption of STCW. All tickets are of equal value.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".