looking seniors members guide and suggestions

In this area, you can comment on employers, trends, jobs, rumors affecting the jobs and job prospect of Marine Engineers.
JAY
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: TORONTO

looking seniors members guide and suggestions

Post by JAY »

HI GUYS, 'I'M NEW TO THIS FORUM. HOPE SOME SENIORS MEMBER CAN HELP ME. IM TRYING TO GET A JOB IN THE MARITIME INDUSTRIES AS A ENGINE ROOM RATING PERSON JOB . I HAVE 1 YEARS EXPERIENCE AS A ENGINE ROOM RATING PERSON . DOES ''SIU' DEAL ONLY ENGINEERS OR THEY HELP TO FIND CREW JOBS TOO?? WHAT'S THE BEST WAY TO SEARCH FOR JOBS.
"Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. .
FROM JAY HAFEEZ
E-MAIL :[email protected]
D Winsor
Superintendent
Currently located: Dartmouth

Re: looking seniors members guide and suggestions

Post by D Winsor »

Welcome to the Forum
The SIU represents all unlicensed crew members on the Algoma & CSL ships and have hiring halls in Montreal, Quebec City & Thorold. You have to apply to register with the union and wait for a call
Unifor represents the unlicensed crew on the former ULS fleet now owned by Algoma and you would have to do the same process as the SIU at the Unifor union hall in St. Catharines
Engineering Officers are represented by another union The Canadian Merchant Service Guild. Engineers usually apply directly to the companies for employment
You can also apply to other companies directly such as Lower Lakes Towing out of Port Dover
Good Luck in your search
Troubleshooting 101 "Don't over think it - K.I.S.S. it"
JAY
Bilge Dweller

Post by JAY »

Thank you D Winsor for providing me some usefull information.
May I ask you one more thing about "SIU". I sent all necessary Documents to SIU office (Thorold ,ont) can you explain me step by step siu hiring procedure?? its easy to get job through SIU ?? how long does "SIU" usually take to call a candidate for a job interview or it depends on job market??/
Thank you in advance for your kind reply.
from jay hafeez
D Winsor
Superintendent
Currently located: Dartmouth

Post by D Winsor »

Sorry
I can't honestly answer your questions as I know little about that part of the process
Troubleshooting 101 "Don't over think it - K.I.S.S. it"
JAY
Bilge Dweller

Post by JAY »

Thank you very much for your reply D winsor .