shore & ship Jobs for indian chief engineer in canada

In this area, you can comment on employers, trends, jobs, rumors affecting the jobs and job prospect of Marine Engineers.
[email protected]
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: india

shore & ship Jobs for indian chief engineer in canada

Post by [email protected] »

Hi seniors, I am Gaurang Thathagar from India. I am holding indian class one certificate of competency & have sailed as chief engineer for 12 months on product & chemical tankers. I have sailed through out on oil, product & chemical tankers right from trainee marine engineer rank. Pls help with the oppurtunities available in canada for shore job as well as ship jobs in canada. I have 2 questions

1) If I want to sail in canada coastal ships than i hope I have to acquire Canadian COC. what is the procedure/ training/ exams required to be appeared by me for acquiring canadian COC of class one.

2) I am a mechanical engineer passed in june 2002 from Mumbai university. If in case I want to do shore job, than what are the scope/ oppurtunities availabe in canada & what are the procedures/training/ exams to be appeared for working as engineer at shore based engineering firm.

Thanking you all in anticipation for the response.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: shore & ship Jobs for indian chief engineer in canada

Post by JK »

I moved your question to the appropriate forum topic and deleted the multiple postings.
If you are interested in a Canadian COC, your best bet is to talk to Transport Canada marine examiner. They know all of the in and outs of what you need.
Postby JollyJack » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:50 am

Your first step is to apply to Canada as a Permanent Resident. Once here, go through Direct Entry process to be assesed a for a Canadian CoC.
[email protected]
Bilge Dweller

Thanks Mr JK & Mr Jolly jack. Pls clear my below doubt also.

I am a mechanical engineer passed in june 2002 from Mumbai university. If in case I want to do shore job, than what are the scope/ oppurtunities availabe in canada & what are the procedures/training/ exams to be appeared for working as engineer at shore based engineering firm.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

Depends on where you go. Every Province has it's own criteria and it's own association for professional engineers. In Nova Scotia, it's APENS (Association of Professional Engineers Nova Scotia) Join them, and you can put P.Eng. after your name.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
[email protected]
Bilge Dweller

Thanks Mr Jolly Jack for your valuable inputs. Well friends, if I opt to acquire canadian COC, then suppose if they issue me 2nd engineer COC, then I have to appear for chief engineer's exam, then how tough is the exams for class I, chief engineer.

In canada, is there shortage for chief engineers on tankers.
xheadsailor
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by xheadsailor »

Hi Gaurang,

You need to have a work permit(?) or be a permanent resident/citizen of Canada to qualify to take the exams conducted by Transport Canada - Marine. You can't work in Canada without one or the other. Once you are in Canada (if you aren't already) go to the nearest TC marine office with your documents and they will advise you. Since you have a 1st Class licence, you will probably only need to take the EK general and motor exams and the oral exam; but again TC are the ones who will decide. Once you pass your exams you will receive a Canadian ticket and CDC.

For a shore job as a mechanical engineer, you need to contact Professional Engineers of Ontario (PEO) (other provinces have similar governing bodies) to find out what you need to do to get your degree recognised in Canada. Generally, degrees from most countries are not recognised in Canada. It will probably take you a couple of years of exams and apprenticeships to get qualified; but that's just a guess, I don't have too much info about it.

Another option is to get a Stationary Engineer licence from TSSA. They will assess you on the basis of your work on boilers and power generation and let you know what exams you can take to qualify. A Stationary Engineer keeps a watch on power plants and manufacturing facilities ashore, also hotels, hospitals, etc. You need to have your watch-keeping certificates showing boiler capacities.

You could find a Superintendent job in Canada; best places to look for one would be Montreal, Halifax, St. Johns and Vancouver. Check the job postings on this site as well as www.indeed.ca and www.simplyhired.ca

Right now, I don't believe there's any shortage of engineers due to the current economic situation in Canada but things can change very quickly.

Good luck.
xheadsailor