Chief Mate Wages Canadian Tankers

In this area, you can comment on employers, trends, jobs, rumors affecting the jobs and job prospect of Marine Engineers.
newarkepoint
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Toronto

Chief Mate Wages Canadian Tankers

Post by newarkepoint »

Any ballpark figure for Chief mates on tankers? Specifically ones working for Canship Ugland and Teekay's shuttle tankers on the east coast?
What about Desgagnes and McKeil or Algoma? what do they pay?
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Re: Chief Mate Wages Canadian Tankers

Post by The Dieselduck »

Obviously this is a Marine Engineering centered website, so I am not familiar with the deck wages much. There is a new posting for a second class engineer for $680 a day at Canship Ugland, which in my view is a reasonable wage, more so than the rest of the companies I have heard of. From this I assume the deck should be in decent pay range, however these positions are typically in offshore Newfoundland, which is very restrictive to any other Canadians. I would assume TK is in that ballpark, however they are a shrewd operator so I do not know what they offer.

Algoma I am not sure, they seem to have a low turnover, so I assume it must be decent. McKeil, pays decent but has numerous other issues. Desgagnes, in general, is a scourge to shipping in Canada, high turnover and very low pay and support, from the feedback I get.

In general I would expect to see the following wage scale for the engineering side of things, in Canada.
TC 4th Class - $400-500/day
TC 3rd Class - $475-600/day
TC 2nd Class - $575-700/day
TC 1st Class - $700-900/day
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
Revolver
Chief Engineer

Post by Revolver »

C/O on the tankers should be the higher end of $600/day closer to $700-ish

McKeil probably $525/day or so.

Deganais low $30/hr
Algoma ~$36-37/hr

That's from an almost educated guess/fair idea. I don't know exact though.
newarkepoint
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Toronto

Post by newarkepoint »

Thanks for the update guys, has anyone worked for TK before? Was wondering if the contract is between the Canadian seafarer and Teekay Canada or Teekay Bermuda/Singapore. I was told that it is with Teekay Bermuda. Thanks for the support.

Revolver - the wages you have mentioned is paid only while onboard, correct me if i'm wrong.
Revolver
Chief Engineer

Post by Revolver »

Tankers is probably split pay.
Mckeil you can probably get straight pay or split pay, not sure.
Deganais and algoma it would be pay only on board, but if you have a permanent position I believe they work something out where you get not quite 50% split pay, but they do divide the pay somehow to get you some paychecks when you're home.
But on the lakes the money is only made when you work your ot

Someone who has actually worked these places please verify, I've worked with people who've worked with these companies... But you can only take what people say with a grain of salt y'know heh