CoC as per STCW 2010 Manila Convention

In this area, you can comment on employers, trends, jobs, rumors affecting the jobs and job prospect of Marine Engineers.
Revolver
Chief Engineer

Re: CoC as per STCW 2010 Manila Convention

Post by Revolver »

Lol I was thinking the same thing. It went from nothing to having to do more haha.
I will get my 1st class regardless of hurdles, but it'd just be nice to know what I'll for sure have to do when I have enough sea time lol
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

New today, hot off the press! http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/bu ... 09-eng.htm
SSB-09-2017E.pdf
(478.92 KiB) Downloaded 661 times
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
Ratherbeonvacation
Leak Patrol

Post by Ratherbeonvacation »

Jolly Jack, thanks for the update. What about applications that were in process?are they all cancelled? People holding certificates that were issued. What happens with those? The way I understand it is they are valid until renewal date?
D Winsor
Superintendent
Currently located: Dartmouth

Post by D Winsor »

Just went to the TC web site to refresh my memory on the details in the section 144 of the MPR listed in the SSB and the link to the MPR is dead! :?
Troubleshooting 101 "Don't over think it - K.I.S.S. it"
Ratherbeonvacation
Leak Patrol

I just contacted TC and according to what they said even certificates that were issues are being recalled? What a mess!! Like to know if anyone else got any info on this? Not really clarified in the SSB. And what about this high voltage course? Never heard of it? is it even offered anywhere?
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

You can download a copy of the MPR on the training page http://www.dieselduck.info/training/_do ... farers.pdf

or here.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
The Dieselduck
Administrator

Post by The Dieselduck »

This is the most ass backwards development possible.
I had a feeling TC could really screw this up, and yup, they did. I think its firm to say that this is the total end of "hawsepiping", and probably the end of any TCW2010 engineering CoC issued by Canada to any capacity.

Wow, there must have been quite a power struggle within Marine Safety with this debacle, to take such an opposite tact so close together.
Martin Leduc
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

Pending Chief Engineer, STCW, applications have been cancelled and any CoCs issued recalled. A Registered Letter to that effect has gone to the affected.

There is, I believe, one ship registered in Canada which uses a 1000 v system, the CCG icebreaker, Louis St Laurent. CCG is exempted from the CSA 2001 under section 7 of that Act, but they conform anyway.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
Ratherbeonvacation
Leak Patrol

Just seen a couple letters that were issued. No apology, no reasoning, no nothing. Pretty much just says “your certificate is no longer valid. Please place it in the pre paid envelope and send it back to Transport Canada. Your valid 2nd class is enclosed”. Well at least they paid for the envelope.....what a farce.
Revolver
Chief Engineer

Post by Revolver »

Couple months ago everyone was crying that tickets are going to be given away for free, they'll have no value, what a joke, this is the end of it all.
Now they've quashed that, and actually made it more difficult to get the tickets... And... Everyone is pissed off again. (except the guys who got their chiefs before they were giving them away, of course.)

This is quite the shit-show...a real screw up. But it's better than giving away the damn tickets.

People have said now "memorizing how to regurgitate some questions on an exam doesn't make you a good engineer", absolutely it doesn't...
Hands on is King, sure, but we're supposed to be engineers, not just grease monkeys...It's important to see machinery deeper than just hunks of materials that work in certain ways.

I've sailed with hands on guys who know fuck all about theory... Nearly shit his pants when the generator auto synch crapped out, and the unloading boom kicked up and we needed the power asap, and it had to be done manually...for the previous at least 10 years he has auto synch...He didn't know what the synch scope actually fundamentally means. He was third, I was fourth, he had 30 years exp, I had a year and a half out of school...i had to tell him to get the fuck out of the way.
But he could turn a wrench... He was a worker. There in lies some of the hawsepipe problem.

I went on a ramble (I'm not even sure if it's coherent), sorry, but I'm glad they're not giving away tickets.
Study, and hell memorize & regurgitate, do the work if you're truly committed to moving up. Don't give up, that's shit. You can do it!
The Dieselduck
Administrator

Post by The Dieselduck »

All I want is for a STCW licensing system to be on par with worldwide standards, so that Canada trained Marine Engineers have the ability to compete on the world stage on the basis of ticket. I was prepared to take the risk to see a pay stagnation, but it is a worthwhile risk if it opens up opportunities. But right now, without any Canadian trained engineers being reasonably able to achieve first class, who is going to manned TCMS offices, or make policies.

Those guys with their First Class who sacrificed a great deal to go through the stupid antiquated process / memory exercise of licensing in Canada, now made even worst, were rightly nervous, but it does not means the system they went through was the right way to license engineers. I think the younger generation just got a giant ass reaming without lube.

In my discussion with peers, no one seems to be able to comprehend where this is coming from. But obviously some special interest with allot of weight was behind this reversal in policy. Seeing how the government only seem to do the bidding of connected special interest, Fednav / CSL / Algoma / East Coast O&Gwould be obvious big players to win from a collapse of Marine Engineering, and therefore collapse of Cabotage via Canadian seafarer shortage, but this would endanger a massive amount of other players - like ferries, CCG, DND, small players, etc, critical to the operational needs of the nation. It's completely mind boggling.

The only thing that is clear is that it makes it almost impossible to upgrade or advance - as the previous system, which we go back to and add even more hurdles to comes back into play - has demonstrated, that it is not able to cope in supplying Canadian trained Marine Engineers to Canadian ship operators.

As far as new requirements for High Voltage training, if I am not mistaken, BC ferries has a few diesel electric vessels - Super C - which probably run on HV, not to mention new hybrid systems coming online such as Seaspan - its not just a few isolated CCG ships, nor is it looking forward.

In speaking with peers, I know this is bad news for them.
Martin Leduc
tintean
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by tintean »

Just had some experience with two of those 2010 Chiefs. If anyone needed some training ,they did. I was surprised they actually had second class tickets. One would have made a good oiler, the other good ballast. They couldn't compare to the guy who had the original 1st class.
blackhatch
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by blackhatch »

So. Which schools has the “Leadership and Managerial Skill” course available? MI does not have it so who does??
Ratherbeonvacation
Leak Patrol

Black hatch. It is called leadership and management skills. They do provide it. Many guys have it done already
wes
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by wes »

Holy crap an $1800 course, on top of $2000 PPS2 and $650 MAFA. Ugh... gouging of seafarers or what??