Chief Engineer wages

In this area, you can comment on employers, trends, jobs, rumors affecting the jobs and job prospect of Marine Engineers.
xheadsailor
Deck Plate Wanderer

Chief Engineer wages

Post by xheadsailor »

Hi,

Wondering what the wages are for a Chief Engineer on the lakes. Also the rotation system. I have a First Class licence with experience as Chief. Would appreciate any info on companies like Upper Lakes, Algoma, Desgagnes, etc. Thanks in advance.
wes
Deck Plate Wanderer

Re: Chief Engineer wages

Post by wes »

Chief engineers with upper lakes make $120k a year, 2 months on, 2 months off. I believe they sign 2 year contracts at a time.

But that is salary, I don't think they get overtime.
xheadsailor
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by xheadsailor »

Thanks Wes. Any idea about Algoma and Desgagnes or any other company on the lakes?
xheadsailor
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by xheadsailor »

What's this 2 year contract about? Wouldn't it just be a permanent position? Thanks.
wes
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by wes »

I assume algoma is similar to upper lakes, because they are both managed by the same company (SMT), but I am not 100% sure, so don't quote me on that. I have no experience with degagnes.

The chief engineers with upper lakes are not unionized - they represent themselves as a group. I believe the 2 year thing is so that they can have some control over their contracts. As for a permanent job.. they are dying for chiefs right now.. you could work the whole year if you wanted to.

Hope this helps.
Sébastien
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Québec

Post by Sébastien »

Salary with Desgagnés is 100 to 120K per year. Rotation is flexible to accommodate individuals but mostly consists of two months on and two months off based on 180 days work per calendar year. The company is still in expansion mode with two additional cargo ships arriving late fall or early winter.
xheadsailor
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by xheadsailor »

Thanks Sebastian. Any idea if Desgagnes is looking for C/Es? I see they have a new tanker 'Sarah Desgagnes', it would be interesting to sail on that vessel. Whats her trading route? Any idea?
joukov1
First Time Poster

Post by joukov1 »

hello, it is first time when i posted my reply, but your topic is interesting. I am working with upper lakes for 5 years, and only after 3 years I've got an answer for your question. Salary is about $600/day, depending on your seniority and type of boat. If you are new guy for lakers, you will be a relief second for uncertain period of time,does not matter what ticket you brought. That means unpredictable scedule of work, $32/hour, if you are lucky,you got overtime. Every time regular chiefs will sent your evaluation to the office, so you have to kiss there asses. Remember, there is CADETS PROGRAMM and these lucky bustards will step over your head when they are making their career. 5 years ago I started,now I am chief on training.Crews 50 percent are lasy, suffering from diabetus and not able to do the job,but they have greater SENIORITY,then you. That means that they have better time for vacations, better opportunities for promotions and they have right to choose the ship. You don't. Believe me, I swallowed this 5 years, it is not for everybody. I got my canadian 1class in 1999,but who cares?
Algoma paid same money, but the life is more brutal, not frendly crew, no tools, no hands.
Desgagnes paid less, benefits are extremely cheep (your life insurance on board of tanker loaded with gasoline is $50,000, I am not talking about dental etc.)And can you speak French? 99% of crew is from Quebec and they hate speak English. I worked 2 days with them, it was enough.
Sorry for dissapointing you,buddy,but people must know the truth.
Regards, Russian.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

There is some perspective, joukov. Thanks.

I just wanted to comment on the Sarah Desgagne. I understand she will be doing a regular run between on the St Lawrence, I believe taking jet fuel from Montreal to Quebec, once things get underway. In the meantime she is suppose to be trading between Holland and Quebec - if I remember correctly, for about 6-12 months. This is all second hand so you can put whatever you want into this comment.

Cheers,
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
xheadsailor
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by xheadsailor »

Thanks Joukov1 and Martin. Well, Joukov1 doesn't make it very appealing to work for ULS, Algoma or Desgagnes does he? Well, anyone else got any ideas? Good employer, good wages, good working conditions? I'm running outta companies I can work for! Thanks in advance.
The Dieselduck
Administrator

Post by The Dieselduck »

From my very brief time working out east I must say I was quite unimpressed with the conditions and terms of the contract that I had, and that I heard of. I was sailing as engineer under SIU, and it was rather pitiful contract. Although they are getting some new metal in the water and improving conditions on board.

On the west coast the Guild has negotiated a much better contract for us officers. That is probably the biggest thing the companies got going though, since the newest boat on the coast is 28 years old and most amenities are severely lacking, but that's another story. The contract, money wise, are pretty good. A chief on the largest tug on the coast will make a max of almost 8,400 monthly, or (54 per hour or almost 650/day; starting in 2009) with a 1 day on 1.24 days off factor (and additional vacation)- that's for a 12 hrs day. From my elementary calculations, the benefits kick up the wage an extra 1 - 1.7 k a month.

For chief positions on these tugs you need a second class ticket. The better part of the deal is a great benefits plan including a pension plan and full dental (100% coverage on most work) out of province medical, ADD insurance and of course legal defense plus all the usual other benefits - eyecare and such with much better coverage than what I saw out east with SIU. For example, glasses (eyecare) in the engineer's contract at SIU is something like $250 per family per year, the guild is $400 per family member per two years. Personally I think the Guild does a very good job out west, I understand the contract on the lakes is not as impressive, and the SIU for officers, I though was a bit laughable.

I believe the Guild contract is very similar in wages to our US counterparts (maybe someone could comment), but I have heard of better money for chief's overseas (20-25k/month), especially in Scandinavian countries - mind you these are usually time on board, money only contracts, but nonetheless better.

Other outfits out west in Canada: BC Ferries I am not sure what there wage scale is but I understand they are not as good as guild ones, especially since they work 4days, 4nights then 4off (2to1 ratio - but it is an 8hr day schedule). The other big player on the coast is Coast Guard (Treasury Board) and they are covered by a Guild contract that is ok, in terms of benefits, but little else. The problem there, is that the Coast Guard is a "essential service" so any union is really toothless, and therefore the wage and benefit scale reflects that.
Martin Leduc
The Dieselduck
Administrator

Post by The Dieselduck »

xheadsailor wrote:Well, Joukov1 doesn't make it very appealing to work for ULS, Algoma or Desgagnes does he? Well, anyone else got any ideas? Good employer, good wages, good working conditions? I'm running outta companies I can work for! Thanks in advance.
Funny you should say that, but I believe that is at the heart of the shortage problem would it not be....
Martin Leduc
xheadsailor
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by xheadsailor »

Thanks for the input Martin.

You wrote "I believe the Guild contract is very similar in wages to our US counterparts (maybe someone could comment), but I have heard of better money for chief's overseas (20-25k/month), especially in Scandinavian countries - mind you these are usually time on board, money only contracts, but nonetheless better."

Any idea where I can get info for these companies? I have been working on tankers and not interested in working on tug boats even though the wages seem to be pretty good. Thanks.
Sébastien
Engineering Mentor

Post by Sébastien »

Hello again Xheadsailor,
I do not know when and how Joukov1 sailed with Desgagnés but I have had a very different experience. I am presently completing my fifth shipping season with the company. A typical crew will consist of roughly two thirds Québecois who are all fully bi-lingual with the remainder consisting of varying nationalities coming from all over the central and eastern portions of Canada. For example, the chief engineers sailing in the company tanker division consist of six Québecois, one Ontarian, one Nova-Scotian, one Ukrainian and one Romanian. Both permanent and relief engineers come from anywhere from Thunder Bay to St John's. Here is a short list of countries represented by officers and crew on Desgagnés ships: Philippines, Russia, Latvia, Ukraine, Romania, Peru, Barbados, Algeria, Morocco, India, French Guyana, France. Many Québecois crewmembers have sailed deep-sea vessels and have learned to deal with and accommodate other nationalities. The company is in the finishing touches of a transition from a second rate outfit to a first class ship operator. Wages and benefits are very close to what is being offerred by the three major companies on the lakes. The company is not only renewing thier fleet, they are also buying bigger brand new builds every year. I suggest you try for yourself, I guarantee you will not be disappointed. Cheers, Sébastien
Sébastien
Engineering Mentor

Post by Sébastien »

Hello Martin,
The Sarah Desgagnés is presently trading internationally. When things settle out in the petroleum industry she will operate on a regular run transporting gasoline from St-Romuald to Montréal until Ultramar's pipeline construction is complete (5 to 10 years from now). Cheers, Sébastien