Foreign tanker companies

In this area, you can comment on employers, trends, jobs, rumors affecting the jobs and job prospect of Marine Engineers.
xheadsailor
Deck Plate Wanderer

Foreign tanker companies

Post by xheadsailor »

Are there any foreign tanker companies looking for a Chief Engineer? Would appreciate any info on who's hiring, wages, etc.

Thanks in advance and a Happy New Year to the dieselduck family!
alanocean
Leak Patrol
Currently located: New Brunswick, Canada

Re: Foreign tanker companies

Post by alanocean »

Norbulk Saint John is always looking for engineer's. They have some foreign flag vessels running between the US (Boston mostly) and Saint John NB. They have 3 Foreign and 1 Canadian flaged vessel. All were bulit in late 2004 and 2005. The pay as a guess for 1st class ticket would be Aprox 100 000 Canadian but I wouldn't know for sure . Call 506-657-7555 for more info. That is the Saint John Office.
Good Luck

Ps. Atlantic towing is also hiring but for the New LNG tugs you only need a 2nd class so The pay might not be as high but around 80 000 I think. Working out of Saint John NB.
xheadsailor
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by xheadsailor »

Thanks Alonocean. I checked with Norbulk a couple of months ago, they didn't need a Chief. They were looking for a 2/E at that time though. I have never worked on a tug before and not really interested in that. Not a lot of Canadian tanker companies around and none hiring at the moment hence the interest in foreign companies.
D Winsor
Superintendent
Currently located: Dartmouth

Post by D Winsor »

Did you try Algoma Tankers out of St. Catharines ON and Groupe Desgagnes.
Desgagnes just took over Rigel Tankers (Jade Star Diamond Star & Emerald Star) out of Shediac NB
Troubleshooting 101 "Don't over think it - K.I.S.S. it"
EL
Mechanic

Post by EL »

check wth Canship and Great Circle Marine also.
xheadsailor
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by xheadsailor »

Thanks for the replies. I checked with Algoma, Desgagnes, Coastal and GCM 2-3 months ago, they didn't need C/Es. I haven't checked with Canship as I had turned down a job offer a couple of years ago and they might not make another one. I did some work with Rigel but the pay is not competitive. I've checked with most Canadian tanker companies without any luck so now looking abroad.
conrod
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Nanoose Bay BC, Canada

Post by conrod »

Shell, W-O Tankships, Northern Marine (Stena), Chevron..........all from their UK offices are looking for Engineers for tankers and even bunker barges. If you were up for LNG / LPG then NGSCo from Abu Dhabi are looking for people as well.

Not being a tanker man myself, I dont know of that many off hand, but I have seen the big players in the market, Chevron, Shell, BP, Mobil, advertising in the UK union paper Telegraph - yes I am still a member - on a regular basis. All the manning agencies have their adds in there as well.

If anybody is interested in the paper, it can be viewed from the web site www.nautilusuk.org but unfortunately you have to be a member to view the job section.

I get the printed edition, so I dont mind looking if anybody has some specific enquireies.
TxMarEng
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: Albuquerque New Mexico

Post by TxMarEng »

Lot's of foreign companies hiring however, it's a bit hard to sign on first trip as Chief. Perhaps a bit easier to sign on as 2nd to get in with someone. LNG outfits are looking for sharp candidates willing to go through the orientation process, Teekay, Shell, BW, etc.
xheadsailor
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by xheadsailor »

Thanks for the replies.
Conrod - I had filled out the application for Shell months ago but never heard from them. I sent my resume to the other companies you mentioned but haven't heard from them yet. Anyway, my search goes on, if you have any more info re. companies hiring with their contact details, I would appreciate it.
TxMarEng - To get a gas endorsement, I would have to do a gas tanker safety course. The only one course that is recognised by Transport Canada is at the Warsash campus in Southampton which would cost $3-4000 incl. airfare. accomadation, course fees, etc. I don't think I can afford to do that right now. If any of those companies is willing to sponsor me then it would be great but don't know if thats possible.
Madzng
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: London

Post by Madzng »

Hi Xhead,

Have you tried BP or TK?

I'm travelling at the moment but can give you the contact details once I'm back home, if you need them.
xheadsailor
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by xheadsailor »

Hi Madzng,

I had filled out the online application for BP and received an aknowledgement from them but nothing else. They are looking to hire C/Es with experience to sail as 2/Es. I don't know if there's any scope for a promotion in the near future or what the terms are. How many C/Es would be willing to sail indefinitely as a 2/E? I guess its the same with Teekay, they are looking for 1A/Es not C/E. Their website says that they are also looking for Chief Mates and Junior Engineers & Mates so if anyone is interested get on to their website and fill out their application form.

http://www.teekay.com/?page=sea_based_vacancies

Cheers!
bickrenet
Tanktop Cleaner
Currently located: Canada

Post by bickrenet »

Hi

Years ago there were a number of engineers from eastern canada working for Sanko.They had alot of tankers then,I never worked for them myself but was told it was a good company.What is going on today I wouldn,t really know but you can check them out.When I remember them they were green hull and Sanko on the side
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

Sanko was a pretty good company, so I am told (I work alongside a Brit who was one of their ex superintendent) until they went bankrupt. They sold their ships, and some became the beginnings of Teekay. Sanko is still sailing again but I am not sure of their current situation, but judging from their website and their fleet list, they have come back.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net