NTCL

In this area, you can comment on employers, trends, jobs, rumors affecting the jobs and job prospect of Marine Engineers.
SkyHawk
Deck Plate Wanderer

Re: NTCL

Post by SkyHawk »

Hello Wyatt,
Yes, I know about that site. But what I've been told is that they are not a authorized broker for NTCL. They where suposed to have those boats removed from that site, but I guess they never did or NTCL decided to use them as well. But the Alex Gordon and Jim Kilabuk are not for sale only lease (charter). The Jim Kilabuk will be heading north this summer to work off Greenland for the second year, and the Alex Gordon with the barge NT12000 will be heading back to St. John's because there is no work for either in Vancouver.

NTCL has opted out of the West Coast Supply Route to the North with NTCL vessels. They have decided that the cost for a West Coast route would be too great to do, while NTCL has used ITB and Sea-Link (as they are already situated on the West Coast) in the past, they may continue to do so for the west coast route.
Wyatt
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: Victoria

Post by Wyatt »

Hi Skyhawk,
I'm not sure about them being an unauthorized broker, especially when they could easily be sued for putting vessels that are not for sale up for sale. I have written to the VP of Norterra, Art Russel and am waiting to hear back from him but as yet have not heard a peep. Running vessels of this size and age from the basement of a house in Halifax would certainly worry me about the capability and reliability of the company, wouldn't you say? Especially looking at the past delivery's of this division in the last few season's? I know of barges sinking at anchor and chartered vessels sinking at the dock that were chartered through the Halifax office and the people in these communitities watching these shenanigans. All of this does not bode well for whatever future endevours they would like to take on. Will keep you informed when I hear anything.
SkyHawk
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by SkyHawk »

Well this is right from Dennis Thorne that it was a unauthorized broker and at one time they hat the NT12000 listed as well (which is funny because they had a new pictures of the barge while it was in Vancouver - July 2010 loaded to head north), but removed that one, but none of the other boats. Anyways Dennis said he talked to Martin guessing Martin Laundry to have that company remove those vessels from that site.

Well Speaking of Halifax, All expectative’s out of the Halifax office has left NTCL and there is just one person there. I understand about running company of that size from a basement of a house, but really the only thing going on is Human Recourses stuff and all other business for NTCL is done in Edmonton. Truly that It's nice having that HR person in Halifax as that person knows a lot about the "East" coast operations and is beneficial to the employees for the Eastern Crews, as long as they follow the collative agreement and sonority in place and don't play favouritism.

As for the age of the vessel, I know like everyone else that we would all like 'new' or newer vessels to work on, but its not always the case and due to that the along with the size of the 'offshore' vessels they can't compete against other east coast offshore companies.

NTCL has things in the works; things do look good for the 2011 season, but do have to secure the contract first. But first things first are too work out the ongoing union collective agreement which expired Nov 2010 and the company seems they don't want to negotiate.
Alberta Eng
First Time Poster

Post by Alberta Eng »

After a somewhat disasterous arctic season last year , disorganisation on the ground, misplaced deliveries , poor customer contact . There were strong rumours doubting the survival of this long established company. They seem to be making changes reagding cargo tracking etc. But it may be too little , too late. A lot of people I know are making alternate arrangments for cargo. NTCL did have a moment of glory salvaging the cruise ship off the rocks near Kugluktuk last year .

I heard last week that they are dropping the Vancouver / Delta Option this year and back tracking to running out of Hay River . Seemingly a question of Equipment availability from what have heard . Lots to read between the lines on this one.
SkyHawk
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by SkyHawk »

As I have stated above, NTCL has opted out the of West Coast Sealift itself. I don't know anything about going through Hay River agian, but I believe that NTCL will use other company's (sub-contractors) ITB and Sea Link, which NTCL has used them in the past for other work, that they may use them agian to continue the West Coast Sealift as they already as the assests on the West Coast, but nothing is confirmed yet. Part of the reason why NTCL is pulling out of the West Coast Sealift is that the cost of doing business there. If NTCL made it a regualar operations they would have to pay the crew 1.24 laydays and could only work them 45 days, as stated in the Canada Labour Code - West Coast Shipping Hours of Work Regulations. It really has nothing to do with Assests as the Alex Gordon and the barge NT12000 are in Vancouver at this moment to do that run.

I was just reading "Professional Mariner" (December/January edition) about the grounding of the cruise ship in the arctic. There's a small but good picture of the curise boat with the Alex Gordon and another NTCL tug along with the Coast Guard vessel and another small tug while it was aground. No metioned of NTCL's Involvement in the operation. The Alex Gordon stands out with its bright red colours just like the Coast Guard ship, hardly see the other NTCL tug in its grey colours.

Added New:
Just watched the Federal Govn't Budget and saying they want to build a All Season Road from Inuvik to Tuktoyaktuk. What will this do with NTCL. They can now drive all their cargo up to Tuk and then transport from there. That is they don't close Tuk Terminal down, as NTCL will do doing so to a few places. But then agian it's usually cheaper to use water transportation then tuck. I guess no more flying from Inuvik. hahaha
Wyatt
Officer of the Watch

Post by Wyatt »

Hi Skyhawk
I was on the Laurier during the pull off attempt and there were 3 NTCL tugs plus one small American tug chartered out of Barrow. The Alex Gordon, my old vessel the Nunakput and the Pat Lyall. What worked in the end were the lifting tubes under the stricken vessel and ballasting the stern of the cruise ship. I think 18 of the 36 DB tanks were compromised and both boilers were put out of commission due to the boiler supports being damaged.
SkyHawk
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by SkyHawk »

Wyatt
Are you sure it was the Pat Lyall there? The Pat Lyall has been in Hudson Bay for a few years now, and when that ship was aground the Pat Lyall was still in Hudson Bay. The Pat Lyall is now for sale. I don't think they would take it away from Hudson Bay to Tuk when and if it sales it would be easier for them to take it East then West.
Wyatt
Officer of the Watch

Post by Wyatt »

Hi Skyhawk, you are probably right, it must have been the Pusiuriak Kootook, they are identical vessels.
Wyatt
Officer of the Watch

Post by Wyatt »

Hi Skyhawk,
Heard rumours that Martin Landry no longer works for NTCL. Cannot confirm. Have just learned that Art Russel is no longer working for Norterra, this is a very ominous and sad realization. Art has been a solid and steadfast individual who was easy to talk to, gave straight answers and could be trusted for his honesty and integrity. He was the Senior Vice President & Chief Financial Officer for Norterra. I truly hope things are going to work out for this company. Right now there is no information forthcoming.
DeckStan
First Time Poster

Post by DeckStan »

Any advice or information to offer a 2nd Mate starting with NTCL out of Hay River on the Mackenzie River?
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

Get a really warm arctic parka and woolen socks. :)
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

It all depends how late in the season you will be working.
When I worked in the Arctic, I carried a set of my own insulated coveralls and steel toed boots with liners even if the company said they supplied it, because I could never get anything to fit.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

NTCL is done

Post by The Dieselduck »

Just completed my STCW MED refresher, with prolific Common Rail member, Wyatt, (good to see you Wyatt !). In the class at Western Maritime, were quite few NTCL crew who have been told they are out of a jobs, with NTCL anyways, as the company has closed operations.

I haven't followed this much, but obviously NTCL was a pretty well known name on the west coast and the Canadian Arctic, so it is sad to see this development; and to see our peers, being thrown out of a good job with reliability of their pension in question.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
Revolver
Chief Engineer

Post by Revolver »

NTCL has been terribly managed for the past 20 years, and finally filed chapter 11.
Somebody has to do the shipping up there, big shoes to fill.
I understand a highway is being built to Tuktoyukuk, making a difference in the shipping logistics up there.
Who knows what's to come with it all.