NTCL

In this area, you can comment on employers, trends, jobs, rumors affecting the jobs and job prospect of Marine Engineers.
worldtraveller2009
First Time Poster

Re: NTCL

Post by worldtraveller2009 »

Does anyone out there know if any of NTCL eastern vessels are at sea or are heading to sea. From what I can tell very little is hapenning or so I'm told. They seem to be in a state of transition!
Northerner
First Time Poster

Post by Northerner »

Can anyone comment on NTCL Arctic operations this year? After a real mixed up season last year , I am hearing this years season is not running any better , I am hearing media reports of failed inspections and rumors of ice delays and have experienced poor customer service. The customers are getting angry and competition from the east is beating NT's new Westcoast service hands down . Does anyone have any further information?
Wyatt
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: Victoria

Post by Wyatt »

The season is basically over, and I understand it was a shambles again, especially from the east. The Keewatin lost its seaworthiness certificate, the double bottoms were rotted through. This was not a new problem. Arthur brought this up in the late 90's and every year after with no committment from the company to repair. Now it bites them in the ass and they are woefully unprepaired. The David Amos has sucked millions upon millions out of the company, could have built a new vessel probably. The future looks bleak for poor old NTCL. For a company that has withstood 75 years of up and down workloads, looks like the management has hammered the last spike into this once great company. Very very sad, and you wait till they start doing the blame game. Understand most of the upper management have already been given thier golden handshakes and are gone. Thank you all very much............
SkyHawk
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by SkyHawk »

Well the "season" has pretty much come to a end, and who knows if this will be the end of NTCL. As for the Eastern Operations, had a slow start due to the fact of the lack of ice offshore Newfoundland kept the two supply boats alongside the dock instead of at sea making money. But the two supply boats did however eventually find work. The Jim Kilabuk went north off Greenland towing Icebergs "Ice Management" and has just recently just returned back to St. John's from that contract, but that was not a NTCL venture. It was a charter by another company that is made up of former NTCL employees that had been 'laid off'. Never less the vessel was working. The Alex Gordon went west towing the new Barge all the way to the Arctic, picking up cargo in the USA. The Alex Gordon is now heading south for BC but unknown what lies ahead for the boat it could be laid up in Vancouver. As mentioned in previous post, the Keewatin got laid up this year due to repairs needed that were not done, but however NTCL did charter the Hudson Bay Explorer, to replace the Keewatin for the shipping season but had a late start for the year, but due to mechanical delay and weather delays not sure how that went over in the Hudson Bay Area, that boat is now heading back to Newfoundland. The winter looks like its going to be very cold. Not much work is expected to during the winter months and not sure if the East Coast Ice Management will happen this year. As NTCL is looking to sell off some Assets not this includes one or both Supply Boats, the Michael Amos, and the New Barge are all for sale or lease (http://www.theriaultinternational.com/). The Western Side (Arctic) of things had a good and early start this past year, earlier then the past couple of years, but low water levels did threaten shipping as barges would have to go with less cargo then they wanted. With the Gordon bringing up two big barges from the West Coast it was pretty busy offloading those barge onto smaller barges to take to the communities.

Over the past 5 years that the East has been operational, it had done pretty well for its self, but its bigger brother in the West or Arctic has been losing a lot of money hence the "cabinet shuffle" Moving the office from Hay River to Edmonton where it can be close to it parent company NorTerra. NTCL is looking to move into the West Coast Shipping and move things from Vancouver to the Arctic insted of sending it up to Hay River by Train then barge it up river. This way they can send any cargo down river and anything going to other communities can stay north. The company has lost some important contract this past shipping season like the fuel contract to East Coast Company's but with the recent grounding of their tanker in the Arctic who knows how that is play for next year.

Just have to wait and see what next year brings, where the company see's itself going and with what boats. I guess you can say the Arctic Tugs are safe, but the Eastern boats are on the cutting block.
SkyHawk
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by SkyHawk »

UPDATE: I've just been told by a fellow co-worker that there is some false information in my last statement.

The website previous stated with the vessels for sale apparently is by an unauthorized broker to list those vessels. Through, there are vessels for sale from NTCL but are listed by a different broker, which I don't know who it is at this time, but what I've been told is that it includes a couple vessels from the West and the all important Michael Amos (a East boat).

NTCL over the past year has gone through major restructuring from Head Office and the Eastern Operations Office, basically moving everything to Edmonton. With the new appointment of a President Bill Duffy it seems like he knows what he is doing, through it will take some time before NTCL will be back on top, so far is saying it will be operating the next season and the company says that it has bided on a couple outside contracts and just waiting to see if they got them.

Side Note: With a previous comment I made with rumours Seaspan looking at purchasing NTCL, which right now are still rumours at this time. It is funny to hear that Seaspan is storing NTCL's barge in Vancouver apparently for free. Why would they do this for free unless they know something we don't know. Maybe they will do what they did to SMIT.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

Great to hear a bit more info and the updates. I am not all that familiar with NTCL's operations but I appreciate your time. Thanks
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
Wyatt
Officer of the Watch

Post by Wyatt »

Here is some interesting news about NTCL, http://albertaventure.com/2010/11/norte ... rate-ship/
Lots of problems and not many solutions. I understand the eastern operations have been shut down and everyone is gone. The upper management in Hay River have all been given their lay off slips and golden handshakes? The Alex Gordon, Jim Kilabuk, Michael Amos and the 12000 series barge are all up for sale as well as the head office in Hay River and more land holdings in Hay River. The complete Hay River operation is closed now for the winter, like they used to do in the early eighties. The Michael Amos is still sitting in a shipyard and is still sucking millions? It sounds like they may be getting back to their roots, and the only savior might be the natural gas pipeline from the Mackenzie Basin which would then need every asset the company owns on the river.
The complete Arctic is in a flux right now, everyone trying to earn the most money while keeping their expenses at the lowest levels. Woodward's has now expierienced what it is like to try and deliver oil via tanker, as they had thier tanker run aground in the Simpson Strait. I wonder how everything worked out on the profit page for them? They still have 2 years left to deliver more oil or will we be looking at an oil spill?
Another situation with NTCL that everyone in the west knew but nothing was done about it was the number of upper management levels that was held in this corporation. For its small size it had an amazingly huge corporate structure, and I for one always wondered how they were able to maintain this monetarily, paying out very large payrolls all year round? Like skyhawk, I will anxiuosly wait to see what happens.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

Wow thats a great article. Really lays out the situation, especially from a business sense. And unfortunately, it does not look good for NTCL and parent company.

I never realized that there was so many people passionate about this company.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
Wyatt
Officer of the Watch

Post by Wyatt »

Latest layoffs only temporary, NTCL president says

Northern Transportation Company Ltd. president Bill Duffy is reassuring local residents that the shipping company will not be leaving Hay River after concerns resurfaced following last month’s layoffs.
“It was a very tough decision,” said Duffy of the layoffs in early November.
“It was the result of not a great year for NTCL.”

According to one former employee, only one or two Hay River residents are still employed at NTCL.
Duffy said that NTCL used to do all of their business on of the Mackenzie River route, but now only 10 to 15 per cent of their business comes from that market.
“We are trying to size the company properly for what we are producing,” he said, mentioning that the layoffs are only temporary and not full terminations.
“It is only on a temporary basis as we put together a new business plan for 2011,” he said. “Hopefully this layoff is shorter than anticipated.”
Duffy said he remains confident that Hay River will still have a partnership with NTCL in the future.
“Hay River is still an important part,” he said. “Fuel deliveries will still be originating in Hay River and there will be quite a bit of activity with the Mackenzie Gas Project.”
Duffy added that it is difficult for NTCL to hold on to the pipeline project when it is encountering so many roadblocks, but that NTCL is expected to “see a lot of action in the next three or four years.”
Hay River Mayor Kelly Schofield said that he had discussions with Duffy a week before the layoffs, and he was assured that employees would be hired back on in January.
“We had a brief discussion,” Schofield said of the conversation he had with Duffy in late October. “He said to me that they are going to be doing some restructuring, and that Hay River is still an important aspect of the company’s functions.
“He said there would be some more layoffs, but they were looking to get their employees back to work in January.”
Schofield said that Duffy also said that Hay River would still have business coming through, but he wasn’t sure to what degree.
“I am hoping he is honest, and I will keep him to his word,” said Schofield.
“Unless I am told otherwise, I have no reason to disbelieve them.”
But Schofield said he was not surprised that NTCL laid off more employees.
“We knew this would happen, but it was just a matter of when,” he said.
The town is planning to include NTCL in all their future plans in hopes of keeping the major employer around.
Schofield mentioned two potential major projects, a regional recycling plant and Avalon’s proposed mine at Thor Lake, which would both allow plenty of business for the shipping company.
“We are definitely pushing for them,” said Schofield. “We want them to be sustainable and stay in this town, but there is only so much we can do as a town.”
SkyHawk
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by SkyHawk »

Just to straighten up some rumours. NTCL has gone through some rough financial difficulties, which you should all know by now. But it looks like they will turn things around, only tale tell will be this up and coming shipping season and how things work out from there.

Yes, NTCL did close its Eastern Operations office, but its not dead. There are still people working in Halifax, just from a home office instead of an office, just to save a few bucks. From what I've been told Eastern Operations division has been renamed to "Offshore Division". The Alex Gordon, Jim Kilabuk, Keewation, Michael Amos, and the NT1200 are still all part of the Eastern Fleet with all eastern crew still working. Even know those ships are part of the Eastern fleet all operations are now run out of Edmonton with the rest of the fleet.

There are NTCL vessels for sale, none of which include the Eastern fleet except maybe the Micheal Amos. Other boats for sale are a couple of the Northern Tugs. You can find them on a brokers website. NTCL did sale the NT Dartmouth a single skin tanker out of Halifax Harbour were it refuel ships there, its current location is unknown as last I heard it was in Mount Carmel, NL. Through the Micheal Amos dose need a lot of work still to be done to her, she is not in any shipyard, but where she is layed-up there might be some work being done to her to fix her sum what or completely, not sure which.

The Alex Gordon, Jim Kilabuk, Keewatin should be working this summer for NTCL. Even there's contract work with the Hudson Bay Explorer out of Marystown shipyard, as that ship is owned by Kiewit.

The Officers with NTCL are currently in union negotiations with the company both East and West employees. Therefore, no one is going anywhere regarding employees. Unless something unforeseen happens.
Wyatt
Officer of the Watch

Post by Wyatt »

Skyhawk, please let me know the brokers website where we can all look at which vessels are for sale. And do you know who Martin Landry is and where did he come from? I read about him in the news quite a bit as a spokesperson for NTCL.
Thanks
SkyHawk
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by SkyHawk »

Wyatt, I don't know where Martin Laundry came from, but his title at NTCL is 'Manager of Business Development' so I don't think he's comes from a "Marine" background. He's on the business side. I have had some dealings with him in the past. He was sent to run Churchill last summer, but didn't do a good job so they sent him back to Alberta and brought someone else in who knew what to do. I wonder if he's being the offical spokesperson for NTCL?

As for the brokers site: http://www.marcon.com/index.cfm It's a bit of a difficult site to surf, so best of luck.
Last time I looked, I think there was three boats Listed. If you have trouble locating them let me know.
Wyatt
Officer of the Watch

Post by Wyatt »

Thanks skyhawk, found 1 vessel, the Henry Christofferson. Here is the link, http://www.marcon.com/marcon2s.cfm?Sect ... le=TG45153
Seems they want to try and sell her instead of reverting her back to a tug from the siesmic piece of crap it is now.
Wyatt
Officer of the Watch

Post by Wyatt »

Latest news on NTCL
[b]NTCL aims to restructure and return in 2012[/b]
Darrell Greer Northern News Services Published Wednesday, February 23, 2011
KIVALLIQ - The sealift season will have a different look in most Kivalliq communities this year.
The Northern Transportation Company Ltd. (NTCL) has announced it has dropped the extension year of its contract with the Government of Nunavut (GN) and will not provide services to the Kivalliq in 2011 after losing more than $500,000 in the region this past season.
NTCL president Bill Duffy said economics played a major role in the decision.
He said NTCL has lost a significant amount of money out of Churchill, Man., due mainly to the number of times the cargo has to be handled.
"The stevedoring in Churchill made it a losing proposition," said Duffy.
"We also had a number of issues in deliveries in 2010.
"I started with NTCL on Sept. 7, 2010, and I met with the Kivalliq mayors in Rankin Inlet and promised we would improve our service. We're in the final stages of changing our senior-management team, and we've hired a number of new people at senior levels who are coming with years and years of marine experience."
Duffy said NTCL couldn't be in position this year to make the changes necessary to provide the level of service people expect.
He said the company didn't want to go back and fail in the Kivalliq again.
"We're, basically, in the process of changing our entire business plan with new people and a new strategy.
"We'll come back in 2012 as the best out there. And I say that with a great deal of confidence."
Duffy said the freight rates NTCL had with the GN made the company very uncompetitive, from a profit standpoint.
He said NTCL's rates were $40 a ton lower than its competitors and it simply can't make money like that.
"So, our decision was based on a combination of economics and not being 100 per cent prepared to provide the service people in the region deserve.
"But that will not be the case in 2012, when we will try to earn our credibility back and provide the best service you can get."
A new GN contract will go out for bid in 2012 and Duffy said NTCL will have a strong presence in that process.
He said it would be very difficult for NTCL to be active in the Kivalliq without the GN contract.
"The individuals who order new vehicles, boats, and so on, are a smaller percentage of the business.
"It's my job to fix the problems NTCL had and, when we make decisions from this point on, they're going to be the right decisions.
"When we come back to the Kivalliq, or go to another region, we're going to be prepared, have operational excellence and be there for the long term.
"With all the new people coming in, we didn't have time to put the best program in place, but we will have the best program in place for 2012."
Coral Harbour and Chesterfield Inlet MLA Johnny Ningeongan wasn't sad to see NTCL go.
Ningeongan had raised the issue of NTCL's lack of performance numerous times in Nunavut's legislative assembly, as well as in front of the standing committee.
Ningeongan said the lack of service reached the point where he had to say something.
He said he expects a much better performance from Nunavut Sealink and Supply Inc. (NSSI) in servicing the Kivalliq this year.
"There was a lot of frustration being felt by Inuit over NTCL's performance, but many people felt they couldn't say anything because NTCL is supposed to be an Inuit-owned company here to serve us for the long run," said Ningeongan.
"It's gone steadily downhill since NTCL returned and I can only hope the change will be for the better.
"I'm not omitting NTCL from ever servicing the Kivalliq again, but everyone knows during the past two years goods were coming in long after they should have arrived or not coming in at all.
"If something is not functioning the way it should be, even if it's an Inuit-owned company, I can't stay quiet and pretend nothing is happening."
Ningeongan said he hopes this will be a lesson for other Inuit companies to think twice about getting into big contractual obligations.
He said they have to honour their commitments or Kivalliqmiut will look elsewhere.
"We had GN projects delayed because of late delivery, businesses suffered, and some people had to wait until the following summer to get their personal orders, so the impact of this was being felt at many different levels.
"NTCL had to rely on NSSI to deliver its goods to Coral Harbour, and that's simply not acceptable.
"Even Sakku School suffered the consequence of not having the proper supplies because of the delays.
"As a beneficiary, I'm supposed to say good words about our so-called Inuit-owned companies, but you can only go so far when they're not able to deliver on their commitments."
Wyatt
Officer of the Watch

Post by Wyatt »

Skyhawk, just a heads up, the Michael Amos, Alex Gordon and Jim Kilabuk are all also for sale on the Theriault International website at this address http://www.timarine.ca/indexIn.php
you open the ships - used - ocean going - tugs. Also the Gordon is on the offfshore energy - support anchor handling.
This does not bode well for the Eastern operations either.