Ocean Crewing Network

In this area, you can comment on employers, trends, jobs, rumors affecting the jobs and job prospect of Marine Engineers.
stokes82
Bilge Dweller

Ocean Crewing Network

Post by stokes82 »

I was wondering what kind of experience people have had with OCN and the vessels they man. Personally my first call out from them was bad. It was a commercial dragger. I was told all kinds of great things about bonuses and promotions just to get on the vessel. Luckily the vessel was in Vancouver. It was in complete disrepair, I was expected to do 12 hour day plus be on call all night with no OT and was informed by another engineer that it would be a couple times per night at least. Also no bonuses. To top it off on my first night a drunk crew member gets into my cabin through the ajoining bathroom and tries to start a fight. I was gone after that. A week later, got an email from OCN asking if i was interested in a job on a dragger out of Vancouver! Anyone else had to deal with this from them?
easter
Bilge Dweller

Re: Ocean Crewing Network

Post by easter »

Had some dealings, was offered a job I had already turned down. Was talking to the `owner, freezer`trawler "Osprey". Nice boat, couldn't get a straight answer about wages. Other than that, got alot calls from OCN. Just promise & Blah.Blah. The guy didn't seem to have any real jobs, just wanted to talk. I stopped taking his calls.