TC marine medical

In this area, you can comment on employers, trends, jobs, rumors affecting the jobs and job prospect of Marine Engineers.
stokes82
Bilge Dweller

TC marine medical

Post by stokes82 »

I did my medical almost 6 months ago and surprise surprise haven`t received the official copy yet. I`m due to ship out just after the 6 months runs out. I have read about being able to extend the temp to 1 year, does anyone have any info about how we do this? I can't get any info from TC. I can't even get a phone call returned from the numbers i got to try to track my medical status down. I don't feel like redoing it and paying more cash just for another temp but it seems like that may have to be a last resort. Any help in this would be much appreciated.
alanocean
Leak Patrol
Currently located: New Brunswick, Canada

Re: TC marine medical

Post by alanocean »

I am not 100% sure but I belive as long as your medical is valid when you sign on the vessel you are clear untill you sign off even if it expires while onboard. As for obtaining you copy from Ottawa My local marine safety office( Transport Canada) told me if I didn't recive it when there is only 6 weeks left on it to let them know and they would make a call to speed things up. Not sure in your area if this will work but that's all I can tell ya! Good luck!
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

I have moved your topic to this general job information part of the forum as it affects many of us.

My medical took about nine months before getting the official TC version from Ottawa. The reason - I have no idea, but speaking with my local TCSS office only appeared to irritate the inspector and not much else. I got a sense of a turf war. I just continued to sail on the provisional ticket - you cannot be expected to be held accountable for their lack of care - that's my attitude, and I believe most TC inspectors would agree. If you are going deep sea, just a get an extension from your local office.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
Jon
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by Jon »

I had this very problem in March when my provisional nearly expired.
I was told by TC in Halifax that there is only one doctor in Ottawa that signs off on the Medical tickets.
Anyway TC gave me a number and I contacted his office directly.
My ticket arrived 2 weeks later.
I don't have his number anymore but ask your local TC if they can give this to you.