Coast Guard positions for already licensed?

In this area, you can comment on employers, trends, jobs, rumors affecting the jobs and job prospect of Marine Engineers.
westeng
Bilge Dweller

Coast Guard positions for already licensed?

Post by westeng »

Does anyone have any information on the application process for Coast Guard, particularly on the East Coast? I've followed every link and looked at any positions on the government site but everything links you back to the coast guard college. There seems to be no way of applying for positions if you are already licensed, as everything caters to those coming into the college. I keep hearing how short they are of engineers, but see no active recruitment beyond the college cadetship programs. Is there someone here who may already in the ranks that could explain the process for me?? Many thanks.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: Coast Guard positions for already licensed?

Post by JK »

How to get a job in the Canadian Government....subtitled, How not to hire anyone.

Anyway, to get into the CG from outside, you have to watch the government site:

https://psjobs-emploisfp.psc-cfp.gc.ca/ ... ancId62638

Where all "Open" jobs for the public are posted.
In the government there are two types of job posters, "Open" to the public and "Closed" which is open only to permanent government employees.
If you look there, there is a process open on the West coast for entry level engineers, you should apply just to get an idea what the process is like/;
https://psjobs-emploisfp.psc-cfp.gc.ca/ ... psrsMode=1
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

Why not try picking up the phone, calling your nearest CCG base (more then the local search and rescue station) and asking for Human Resources, Fleet Human Resources, or Crewing. They should have somebody there that answers that description, or at least may point you in the right direction. That's how I got my first job with them.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Have you any luck Westeng?
Steamboat Al
Leak Patrol
Currently located: Home

Post by Steamboat Al »

So you want to work for the Coast Guard eh.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't have Dartmouth's # but here is Sarnia & Victoria's contact stuff

Sarnia
Crewing Officer: Helen Polyak-Gartner
[email protected]

Victoria
Crewing Officer: Lorraine Brownrigg
[email protected]

If you want Dartmouth or St John's I would just suggest you call them and ask for the "Crewing Officer" that's all I did for Sarnia & Victoria.

Have fun!!! :wink:
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

You think it is funny Mr Al, that a person is looking to work for the CG?
Seems that a lot of people manage to make a living and raise families working for that funny organization.
Steamboat Al
Leak Patrol

Post by Steamboat Al »

Sorry but I'm afraid I might be being a little misunderstood for my "opinions" but my experience with the CCG was not bad when one looks at it in perspective of sorts.
The ships crew were professional to the core the pay was good, the ships are well maintained but when it comes to how the office staff treat you thats a horse of a different colour.
I'll be willing to bet that everyone that reads this gets paid every 2 weeks on time every time, not me when I was with the CCG I got my first pay cheque after 2 1/2 months, 3 e-mails & 4 phone calls to the office to have them "fast track" my pay and then I waited and additional 2 weeks to finally be paid out for what was now 3 months previous. My travel expenses were paid the first time in 2 weeks and the second time in 3 months, BTW thats my money they had... Oh and did I miss that part about my schedule, I was offered a position for a schedule of 6 weeks on and 6 weeks off which I accepted, right up to the day before I left home the contract was for 6 weeks on and 6 weeks off but by the time I arrived on the ship it was 4 months straight with no time off at all and of course no mention was ever made to me regarding this or I would never have gone in the first place. I blew a gasket and the office changed their minds and said that they would change back to 6 & 6. Ha that lasted 4 weeks and they called again and changed it to 7 1/2 on and 4 off again with absolutely no mention to me this was all done through the Captain. I decided I did not want to pick a fight and besides the job was pretty good as well so I accepted this change, well that lasted all of 2 weeks and they decided to change my shift again only now it was 9 weeks on and 3 weeks off oh boy I'm starting to really get a little pissed with all of this, remember I have not been paid one penny in nearly 2 months and I have no idea if I will ever get any time off and my schedule changes as fast as the weather.
I'm not so sure about you but in my 30 years at sea I have never ever been treated like this before and I don't see any reason why I would want to put up with it. Amongst my crew there were plenty of complaints regarding the treatment received from the office staff so this was not just some isolated incident. I sent an e-mail to 2 friends of mine since they both had previous experience working with the CCG in a different region than the one I was in and guess what? They also had the exact same experiences that I was encountering. What do you think the chances are that this will change any time soon??? My apologies for ruffling some feathers but it's not the ships or the crews but the way in which you are treated like some pawn in a chess game!!! As they see it you do not even deserve to be told the truth.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

That is unexcusable.
I can see why you are not impressed.
Were you up north ?
Steamboat Al
Leak Patrol

Post by Steamboat Al »

It really does not matter which region I was in there is simply no excuse for this treatment to occur.
The best part is, is that it's not over yet I finished work back in October and it only took them 4 weeks to pay me for Sept & Oct wow I guess I should be thankful for that but now I would like to get my EI claim going and now it is December and still no ROE which they are supposed to send within 2 weeks of you finishing work. So here we are more than 6 weeks after the completion of the contract no income in the future, no EI and not a chance in h*ll I would ever consider getting treated like this again anytime soon.
I think now Iam qualified to answer a statement made by the crewing officer that went to the effect of "I just can't understand why nobody wants to stay with the CCG".

DUH!!!!!!

It's like the Engineering Super said there is absolutely no accountability with these people in the office so they can and do just as they bloody well see fit and thats just too bad if you don't like it. Again my apologies for ruffling feathers but again it's not the job, ship or the crew but the office staff. I think people need to know this before they decide to work for people (office staff) that are for all purposes and intent are nothing but a bunch of pathological liars.
westeng
Bilge Dweller

Post by westeng »

Thanks for all the replies. I've gotten the e-mail for the Eastern super, I'm still working on how to word an e-mail that asks for a job without sounding like I'm asking for a job, if you know what I mean. I don't want to come off presumptive by contacting him directly for a position, while still letting him know I'm interested. It seems like it would be the best fit for me, my pension is directly transferable from my old job and the leave schedule would fit for me, all individual bad experiences aside. Again, thanks to you all and to this excellent forum for providing an excellent resource, and I'll post what happens, hopefully in the near future. :?:
conrod
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Nanoose Bay BC, Canada

Post by conrod »

Interesting.........I dont think the CCG is vastly different from most shipping companies. Seafarers are the bottom of the totem pole.......and yet without us, ships would not work, and revenue created.....however, there are always those that will put up with being shoved from pillar to post, and so from the perspective of the " office ", why change things ??

It is not right, of that there is no question, but what can you do ? Collectively one could call the fleet to ransom, all go on strike, but for the majority of the " crew " I am sure conditions are just fine and dandy......and so isolated cases (even 20 or 30) will be ignored.

In the public sector I think it is fare to say that every company is looking for a return on their investment. If you do one trip wonders, then dont expect to be treated with the same attitude as those " lifers ". I did 25 years with the same mob, and comparing my T & C with sigle contract engineers, I can see where the gripe comes from, but if you cannot commit, then dont expect reciprocal commitment.

Its a cold hard fact.......like it or not.
SkyHawk
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by SkyHawk »

Everytime I go to the government job site, I always see jobs for the West Coast for Deck Officers, Never for the East Coast. Is the West Coast Expanding or Just no one wants to stay?
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Pacific is being proactive. They recognize they need officers and have the job poster that never ends.
The Maritimes have lost all of their major icebreakers to Newfoundland to support Harpo's re-election.
(Remember Danny's promise that Stevo would never have a seat in Newfoundland?)
So, I expect, that all of the maritimes crew has to be reabsorbed into what fleet they have left. There must have been 120-130 people who would have been affected. But who cares, they are only crew. In 10 years that is 3 major ships and a smaller ship moved from Halifax to St John's.
As for striking, CG crews cannot legally strike, as far as I know.