Where are the jobs in 2010

In this area, you can comment on employers, trends, jobs, rumors affecting the jobs and job prospect of Marine Engineers.
bickrenet
Tanktop Cleaner
Currently located: Canada

Where are the jobs in 2010

Post by bickrenet »

We start 2010.
What is the talk out there pertaining to our fine bunch from the engine room.

Jobs or not

Bickrenet
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Re: Where are the jobs in 2010

Post by The Dieselduck »

I can see that not too many people are answering this topic, cant understand why. ehehehe

Well I think in central Canada we will see an improvement of the overall marine business, but it will not be super dramatic. The last few months of the season in the great lakes and seaway was considerably busy compared to the start of the season - mainly due to a bumper crop of grains, and the resurgence of the steel industry. Perhaps this will continue in the new season, I believe it will.

On the East Coast, oil prices are stable and slightly climbing, new PSV vessels are being built and new O&G projects are pushing forward, albeit slowly. So I think this should improve the east coast outlook - but I am not too familiar with this region. I will do some research in a bit and update this post.

The west coast's Truck Logging Convention just wrapped up in Victoria over the weekend. The word there, at the smallest convention of their history, was that the industry was picking up, and looking up in 2010. Lumber exports to China is reportedly making 25% of BC lumber industry, and growing rapidly. The governments efforts to market lumber is to China is finally paying off, having being too dependent on the US market has played havoc with the industry, which impacts heavily local maritime transport. So with this in mind I see the job front picking up for engineers with the bigger vessel coming back online. I suspect BC Ferries traffic will be back up to the their normal expectations this year, especially with the lingering effects of the Olympics, so we will see jobs once again becoming more frequent for engineers there.

Government is in cost cutting mode these days, again. So like usual, all forward thinking new build projects will be shelved so I think they will be more or less the same. With other sectors coming back online, manpower will be drained from Coast Guard, in particular and to some extend DND operations, and I predict that most of the manpower issues, regarding qualified engineers will start creeping back to the forefront of agenda, but probably towards the mid and end of 2010.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
bickrenet
Tanktop Cleaner
Currently located: Canada

Re: Where are the jobs in 2010

Post by bickrenet »

Thanks
First let me say that i,m not really up on what is going on in the great lakes .I havn,t been there in years.I have worked on the east coast and i,m in contact with people there in the marine or related fields.I,m under the understanding that there is some action there.I was there a few months ago and was told that shipping companies were looking for engineers.I was there for a visit.I worked on the west coast for a number of years and things have gone down hill big time .Alot of the bigger tugs and log barges are not doing there thing.I must say my last trip there doing relief I seen way to much raw logs going on different kinds of vessels for export.Where is the value added.From a friend the other day i,m told it is even worst now.B.C. ferries always seem to be looking but I don,t hear much good comming out of that camp.They i,m told don,t even get back to the people that send in the paper.And you would have to live on the coast.As my friend said "Hard company to work for".Any talk of getting the western artic going again.It,s there and there is less oil every day.People that are working full time."looking for a relief this comming year"

Lets Hear What is going on.

Thanks
Bickrenet