2011 May - Mari Tech 2011 in Victoria

Planning an event? Heard of an interesting event? Want to share a milestone with the community? This is the place.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

2011 May - Mari Tech 2011 in Victoria

Post by The Dieselduck »

The Canadian Institute of Marine Engineering (CIMarE) is the only professional organization in Canada, dedicated to Marine Engineering excellence at sea, in the design office, at the shipyard and in so many other aspects of the profession. This "not for profit", fully democratic, national entity has branches across Canada, which serve as meeting points for branch members, and guest, interested in Marine Engineering.

Each year, the CIMarE holds a technical conference called MariTech. This year's Maritech is hosted by the Vancouver Island Branch of the CIMarE and is entitled 20/20 Looking to the future - A vision of Canada's Marine Industry in the year 2020. These conference are very well attended by a swath of industry movers and shakers, and this year event promises to be no different.

The Vancouver Island Branch is a progressive and seasoned veteran of hosting these types of conference, and is well honed in providing a top notch professional experience at an accessible price. The organizing committee has chosen the well appointed Delta Ocean Point Resort (pictured below), on the shore of downtown Victoria's inner harbour, to serve as the backdrop for this professional event.

The event will span two days, May 5th and 6th, 2010, in picturesque Victoria, British Columbia, on Canada's west coast, near Seattle and Vancouver. You can find out more about the Maritech 2011 conference - 20/20 looking to the future, by visiting the official website (http://www.cimare.org/Maritech/index.html), their Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mari-Tech ... 083?v=wall), or the Linked In page (http://www.linkedin.com/osview/canvas?_ ... 2public%22}).

You can also download the brochure below. You can find out more about the CIMarE at http://www.cimare.org
Attachments
MariTech_2011_Brochure.pdf
(257.3 KiB) Downloaded 586 times
The Dieselduck
Administrator

Re: 2011 May - Mari Tech 2011 in Victoria

Post by The Dieselduck »

Agenda for MARI-TECH 2011
Canada’s National Marine Exhibition & Conference
20/20 LOOKING TO THE FUTURE
A Vision of Canada's Marine Industry in the year 2020

Presented by the Canadian Institute of Marine Engineering (CIMarE), Vancouver Island Branch
May 5th and 6th, at the Ocean Point Resort in downtown Victoria, BC, Canada

Sponsored by

Lloyd's Register
BC Ferries
BMT Fleet Technologies
Babcock Canada
Esquimalt Drydock Company
Western Mariner Magazine
Martin's Marine Engineering Page - www.dieselduck.net

DAY 1 - Thursday, May 5th, 2011

0800 Registration – Coffee & Pastries
Master of Ceremonies - Mark Collins – Vice President Engineering – BC Ferries
0830 Mari-Tech Chairman John Marrack – Welcome
0845 Opening Address from Vice Admiral [retired] Peter Cairns – Honourary President CIMarE, President Shipbuilding Association of Canada
0915 Paper #1 – Future Marine – Jack Cornett - Defence Research & Development Canada - A visionary analysis of marine engineering and science in the future.
1000 Coffee Break in Exhibition Rooms
1030 Paper #2 – Canadian Coast Guard Vessel Procurement
1115 Paper #3 - MAN Diesel & Turbo – Dr. Dirk Thum - The Sulphur Challenge – Technology for Energy
1200 Lunch in Harbour Room – Lunchtime speaker Rear Admiral Nigel Greenwood – Commander Maritime Forces Pacific
1300 Paper #4 – Jeff Smith - Emerging role and increasing responsibilities of classification societies in Canada’s maritime industry.
1345 Paper #5 – BC Ferries – Greg Peterson - A strategic approach to operating a marine transportation company within the environmental boundaries of 2020 and beyond.
1430 Coffee in Exhibition Rooms
1500 Paper #6 - Converteam - Gene Joelson – Inovelis Pump Jet Pod.
1545 Reception with No-Host Bar
1800 Bus departs for special event – wine tasting and dinner at the Church and State Winery in Brentwood Bay – After dinner, Babcock Canada will be giving a presentation on the moving of a submarine, by heavy lift ship, from the East Coast, to the West Coast.

DAY 2 - Friday, May 6th, 2011

0800 Coffee and light breakfast
0830 Paper #8 - STX - Tony Vollmers and Dan McGreer - A comparison study between propulsion options from conventional to alternative, green propulsion systems.
0915 Two short papers by students from BCIT Marine Campus
1000 Coffee in Exhibition Rooms
1030 Paper #9 - Corvus Energy - Ron Burchett - Hybrid Ferry Concepts.
1115 Paper #10 - Wartsila North America - Mark Keneford – The Hercules Project.
1200 Buffet Lunch in Conference Room – lunchtime speaker Assistant Commissioner Vija Poruks - Canadian Coast Guard Pacific Region
1300 Annual General Meeting Canadian Institute of Marine Engineering
1400 Paper #11 - BMT Fleet Technology - David Stocks - Hybrid Propulsion incorporating Fuel Cells.
1445 Paper #12 - Turmot Inc. - Bernd Graffunder – Lasting solutions fighting rust, lime, scale and microbiological problems in water bearing systems using methods developed by MERUS GmbH
1530 Coffee in Exhibition Rooms
1600 Paper #13 - AKA - Paul Jamer - The “ECO-nomics” of Modern Propulsion Systems (Hybrid Propulsion).
1645 Closing Remarks followed by a Reception with No-Host Bar

In the Exhibition Hall, the following companies will be there to meet you, and introduce their products and services...

Young and Cunningham Canada Inc
Babcock Canada
Seaspan
Schottel
Jastram Technologies Ltd.
Wartsila Canada
Viega
MAN Diesel & Turbo Canada
QBM
Alfa Laval Inc.
Roper Resources Ltd.
Konsberg Maritime
ABB Canada
Sperry Marine Canada
Pol-E-Mar Inc.
BC Shipping News
Thordon Bearings Inc.
ABC Diesel NV
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
The Dieselduck
Administrator

Post by The Dieselduck »

The event is sold out, the special dinner is sold out, the exhibition is sold out, and nearly all the sponsorship is sold out. What does this mean; it means that if your not registered already, you missed a great opportunity to learn and network, in a great setting, at a popular event.

The organizing comittee has agreed to open up the exhibition to all marine related visitors, free of charge. Thats right, you are invited to come and visit the exhibition areas of Mari Tech 2011, occuring in Victoria BC, this Thursday and Friday, free of charge. Visit the official website for more details. http://www.cimare.org/maritech/

I will there, I believe longtime contributor JK will also be there, as well as many of our peers. Find me to say hi, would love to connect.
Martin Leduc
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

Congratulations to the organizers on a succesful 2 days. I got to finally got to meet the Diesel Duck!
The Dieselduck
Administrator

Post by The Dieselduck »

By all indications, Mari Tech 2011 in Victoria, this past Friday and Thursday, was a definite success, if not an overwhelming success. The papers were enlightening, the exhibitors were making good leads, from the several I approached, and the whole conference was a gold mine for interaction with peers, and networking was excellent, with all levels of the industry being represented.

The overarching backdrop of the conference was of course, the National Ship Procurement Strategy, the Canadian federal government plan to invest about $30 billion dollars in new ships to refurbish the dilapidated ranks of the naval, and civilian government fleet. The technical papers also touch on real uses of LNG at sea, and hybrid designs for ship propulsion, among others.

The weather was mostly cooperating, the venues was perfect, the food good and plenty. I believe the organizing committee is still a bit stunned how well things went, although we have not had our wrap up meetings yet. No scheduling hiccups or other malfunctions and disasters occurred.

I was probably most impressed by Day Two’s Lunch Time speaker, Assistant Commissioner Vija Poruks, who gave a well thought out overview of the challenges that the Coast Guard is dealing with and its proposed solutions. I don’t often give Coast Guard credit, but I believe that it certainly merits it as they appear to have a good grasp of their apparent challenges, but more importantly a willingness to change their processes and adopt a different attitude to surmount these. I was expecting the usual bureaucratic dry and evasive “blurbage”, but she was frank and passionate, so I was pleasantly surprise, and wish her the best in representing the Coast Guards goals to the politicians.

Another obviously passionate and knowledgeable individual was Ron Burchett from Corvus Energy. He gave a good presentation on some very dramatic changes in battery technology, and the possibilities this now presents. The potential is illustrated in a later technical presentation by Paul Jammer’s, of AKA, on the Dorothy Foss, the “green tug” in the Port of Los Angeles.

Over in the exhibition area, the best swag prize, was a three way tie, between MAN, Wartsila and Thordon Bearings. But definitely, the most interesting, in our house, with the boys playing with it constantly, was a bouncing widget given out by Babcock Canada.

I actually also found some solutions that I will be following up for my own ship, there as well, so I am looking forward to getting that underway when I get back to work next week. I also met up with one of our supplier’s top dog, Claude of Techsol, in Quebec City. I am pleased to learn that this relatively recent and “local” upstart, and its constant performance, is making great inroads in various markets, on our shores, but also significantly abroad too.

Jane McIvor was presenting her new magazine, BC Shipping News, filling in the void left by the retirement of BC’s Harbour & Shipping magazine. She has published two editions so far and they look great, full of relevant content. Over at Thordon, Axel was the maestro; and Peter from Belgium was presenting their rugged ABC Diesel engines. Thank you Paul at Viega for the wine, and the numerous colourful stories. And those guys at Young and Cunningham, some of the first participants at Mari Tech 2011, were certainly colourful – good on you.

Personally I was pretty involved in the “delivery” of the event, so I did not get a big chance to interact at will, but certainly appreciated meeting long time visitors and contributors to http://www.dieselduck.net, like "JK". After almost 7 years of chatting online, we finally met. Good seeing you!

I must also give a big “shout out” to Kamen of MAN, Daryl of Memorial Institute, Byron and Glenn at ABB, Andrew at DMSI, Riseley at Wartsila, and Paul at AKA to name a few. Thanks for seeking me out, much appreciated your comments and input. I must also give a shout out to the “usual suspects” I seek out and interact with on routine a basis - always good to see you. Matthias, Russel, etc.

I am also encouraged by CIMarE National Council Chairman Jeffrey Smith, who appears to have a good grasp of the challenges the Institute and the industry faces. I feel that he will do a good job advancing some of the issues Marine Engineers face, here in Canada. I am sure the same could also be said of Glenn Walters of Babcock, who is also quite involved with SNAME, especially with their Young Professional mentoring program. I was also excited to hear of MAN’s expanding presence in Canada, thanks Katharina.

All in all, it was a very hectic time leading up to the conference, so I do apologize to my family, for being a bit of a bear during that time. I personally enjoyed this professional experience very much, and gained much from it. I encourage you to attend the next one, to be held next year, in Ottawa, by the Ottawa Branch. Check the main CIMarE website for updates.

From an organizer’s perspective, I encourage those wishing to present a technical papers, or have a booth in the exhibition area, to plan early and express your interest ASAP to the organizing committee. Many companies and presenters felt left out because the event sold out / booked up, so fast.

By the way, if you are interested, the power point presentation utilized in the technical papers presentations, are available online for download, from the main Mari Tech 2011 website (http://www.cimare.org/Maritech/tech.html). The previous year’s papers are also available, from the main CIMarE website. I will be uploading some pictures as well, shortly.

Thanks also to John, the organizing committee chairman, and the other dedicated volunteer who put in allot of time and energy, putting this event together; Bert, Alicja, Phil, Mike, Tony, David, Roger and Chris. I ended up working alongside Mark Collins quite a bit as well; he did a great job as Master of Ceremonies.

Thanks all for putting up with me. Hope to see you next time, but of course you're always welcome to send me an email.
Attachments
CIMarE National Council Chairman Jeffrey Smith addresses CIMarE members at the AGM meeting held during Mari Tech 2011
CIMarE National Council Chairman Jeffrey Smith addresses CIMarE members at the AGM meeting held during Mari Tech 2011
2011.05-MariTech-ML.01.jpg (72.78 KiB) Viewed 7858 times
Mark Collins thanking Ron Burchett, of Corvus Energy, after his technical presentation
Mark Collins thanking Ron Burchett, of Corvus Energy, after his technical presentation
2011.05-MariTech-ML.02.jpg (91.74 KiB) Viewed 7858 times
George Coman, a fourth year BCIT engineering program student give an overview of his experiences.
George Coman, a fourth year BCIT engineering program student give an overview of his experiences.
2011.05-MariTech-ML.03.jpg (148.58 KiB) Viewed 7858 times
At the end of the technical paper presentation on day one, a reception was held, and a great opportunity to mingle with peers.
At the end of the technical paper presentation on day one, a reception was held, and a great opportunity to mingle with peers.
2011.05-MariTech-ML.05.jpg (108.75 KiB) Viewed 7858 times
A good turnout at the Church and State winery tour and dinner, with a special presentation by Babcock Canada, on the HMCS Chicoutimi transit to Victoria.
A good turnout at the Church and State winery tour and dinner, with a special presentation by Babcock Canada, on the HMCS Chicoutimi transit to Victoria.
2011.05-MariTech-ML.04.jpg (138.75 KiB) Viewed 7858 times
Techsol's display in the lobby of the conference area.
Techsol's display in the lobby of the conference area.
2011.05-MariTech-ML.06.jpg (124.1 KiB) Viewed 7858 times
Picture above - Audience member asks a question of BC Ferries' Greg Peterson.
Picture above - Audience member asks a question of BC Ferries' Greg Peterson.
2011.05-MariTech-ML.07.jpg (175 KiB) Viewed 7858 times
Martin Leduc