2012 Nov - VIB CIMarE monthly tech presentation

Planning an event? Heard of an interesting event? Want to share a milestone with the community? This is the place.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

2012 Nov - VIB CIMarE monthly tech presentation

Post by The Dieselduck »

At the November Meeting on Thursday the 15th, at 7pm, in the Lower Lounge of the Officer's Wardroom, at the Canadian Navy Base in Esquimalt there will be a presentation that is going to a bit different from recent presentations but the subject will be very interesting and could make a major impact on the Vancouver Island Marine Industry.

Stephen Ellis (Vice President – Operations) and Candy-Lea Chickite (Community Liaison) of Compliance Energy Corporation, will discuss the Raven Underground Coal Project - an underground coal mine being proposed about 20 km south of Courtenay and 5 km inland in the vicinity of Buckley Bay. Exploration results indicate the metallurgical coal produced will be used in the steel-making process. The Project proposes to transport the coal by truck to Port Alberni where it would upgrade facilities within the Port Alberni Port Authority in order to ship to overseas markets. The project is on the cusp of filing an Application for an Environmental Assessment Certificate in a coordinated federal and provincial environmental review. As part of the pre-application work, independent consultants have completed detailed baseline environmental studies in the project area. The project is forecast to create 200 construction jobs, 350 well-paying full-time mine, port and transportation jobs in the Port Alberni and Comox Valley areas, and potentially hundreds of indirect jobs in the local or regional economy.
For more visit the Compliance Energy website at http://www.complianceenergy.com

Guests and spouses are always welcome. Members, please bring a friend or colleague

MARINE PHOTO CONTEST - The Marine Photo Contest is returning for 2012. Please send your digital entries of photos with a marine theme to [email protected] . A slide show of the winning entries will be shown at the TUESDAY DECEMBER 11, 2012 HOLIDAY SEASON SOCIAL . The closing date for entries is November 16. Once the entries are in I will post them on my internet photo site. Members who have not entered photos will be asked to vote for their favourite photos with votes closing December 1. Also those spouses and guests that will b e attending the TUESDAY DECEMBER 11, 2012 HOLIDAY SEASON SOCIAL can vote.

Phil Dauphinee
Victoria BC Canada