The first meeting of 2009 of the Vancouver Island Branch of the Canadian Institute of Marine Engineering will take place Wednesday January 21 at 7PM in the lower lounge of the Naden Officers' Wardroom.
The speaker for the evening will be Kevin Obermeyer - President and CEO Pacific Pilotage Authority who will be giving a presentation on the two new pilot boats that have recently entered service from Ogden Point Victoria and the Fraser River.
Come early to meet with your colleagues for a drink at the upstairs bar which closes at 7PM.
Guests and spouses are always welcome.
- Long-time member Ken Fox from Washington State passed away on December 30. Ken had a long career as a naval architect and participated at a number of our conferences and symposiums.
- The deadline for membership dues is upon us, so please send your cheque to the national headquarters
- The election of the next Executive Committee is five months away but the membership should start thinking about nominations. I for one have decided that this will be my last year on the Executive Committee or Symposium/Maritech Committees. However if no one else steps up, I will continue to into the next term doing email notices and making submissions to Mariner Life.
- We are trying to put together a field trip to Victoria Shipyard in February to see construction progress on the new Seabus
- There will be a joint meeting with SNAME on Saturday April 25 featuring a number of papers relating to ships in the artic
- The Annual Up-Island Dinner Meeting will be in May at the Lantzville Legion and will feature a presentation on the Nanaimo Harbour Authority
I hope to see you at many of the CIMarE events during the winter and spring of 2009
Vancouver Island Branch
Canadian Institute of Marine Engineering