1C GK: Plating Repairs

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
rogerthat
First Time Poster

1C GK: Plating Repairs

Post by rogerthat »

Been going over some exam questions. One I don't have reference for is that which asks about repairs to various parts of the vessel such as the rudder, hull plating, bilge keel etc. If someone doesn't have the correct answer directly, can they point me to a source? Thanks very much.

"With regards to welding, patching, cropping and plate replacement. State how you would repair the following and give reasons for your decision.
a) perforated rudder
b) damage bilge keel
c) hole in the bow just below the hawse pipe, with indentation"

There are other similar questions. I can pretty much talk about it, but was looking for technical references esp. for plate and welding specifications, special considerations for plate temperature etc.

Thanks!
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: 1C GK: Plating Repairs

Post by JK »

Your reference document for this are the drawings of the ship, they contain most of the info you are looking for such as steel grade, thickness of steel. types of weld. You would refer to the drawings in each case to for construction details.
carbob
Leak Patrol
Currently located: St. John's, NL

Re: 1C GK: Plating Repairs

Post by carbob »

I had this question February 2009. I just stated which method I would use for each example and gave the reasons. I didn't go into very much detail, as I looked at the question as, which method would I use and why.

Can't say I got full marks for this one, but I did manage a pass!!

Hope this helps.

Rob