Course advice

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
Dieseldame
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Nova Scotia / Caribbean

Course advice

Post by Dieseldame »

I am looking for a good course (6-8 weeks) on marine electricity and electronics. Also a 2-4 week course on refrigeration and air conditioning systems. Any ideas??
Sébastien
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Québec

Self improvement

Post by Sébastien »

In my experience the most useful skill in improving your knowledge is your ability to learn everything on your own. Courses are expensive, if you have the means to pay for the course usually you can't fit it in your schedule and then when everything fits they cancel the course due to lack of students. Do yourself a favor and learn how to learn by yourself. Having a mentor is the same thing, promises do not get kept due to lack of time. Buy the Reeds series to start and the people on this site will guide you along the way when you need extra information. Good luck, and remember: it is all worth the effort in the end because this is the greatest career you can have.
Dieseldame
Engineering Mentor

On my own

Post by Dieseldame »

I do know the value of first hand learning as I am self studying for my 4ths. Decided on this approach based on many of the points that you have made. What I feel I need is a foundation to work from on these two topics. I don't learn well from reading, I'm better in an experiential environment so I'm hoping that a shorter course would give me a base to start experimenting from on my own.
Sébastien
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Québec

Post by Sébastien »

You can try 'Practical Marine Electrical Knowledge' by Dennis T. Hall
The best places for books are Amazon.com and The Nautical Mind in the professional texts section
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Learning the hot wire from the neutral one...

Post by The Dieselduck »

My wife is always laughing at me because she thinks I did a little too much "learning on my own" electrical courses. I think I still have the nervous tick.

Seriously, it is an interesting question. I have not learn of any courses that addresses the new 4th Class requirements for training in electrotech. As a matter of fact I am interested in finding out whether or not there even is a marine electrician course anywhere, I don't think there is because I have not seen standards for that.

I am not sure how deep into it they get; but Malaspina College (http://www.pr.mala.bc.ca/nautical.htm#BME) in Nanaimo, and Marine Education Associates (http://www.maritimeeducationassociates.com) has put together a course that meets the "alternative path requirement" for fourth class cert from Transport Canada. They list electrical, but I am not sure what exactly is this course. and whether or not you can do it by correspondence.

Other than that you can try your community college for millwright, industrial electrician course, perhaps they have intro courses or beginners... Then again its probably too much for the average person, without being in an apprenticeship.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
Dieseldame
Engineering Mentor

Electrical courses

Post by Dieseldame »

Martin, sorry to hear about the nervous tick...I worry about developing one of those myself. I've been doing some research and have at least one more option to throw into the pot for electrical courses...for what its worth!

http://www.tolani.edu/tmi/programmes/vacourse_6.htm
TxMarEng
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: Albuquerque New Mexico

Electrical Courses

Post by TxMarEng »

Try Videotel in the UK Their COBALT series of MarEng training is quite good and they have other courses available as well. USMMA in New York has some electrical courses as well but can't speak to their value.

www.videotel.co.uk
Dieseldame
Engineering Mentor

Lots of thanks

Post by Dieseldame »

Hey, cool site...very interesting courses. Appreciate the referral..keep them coming!

DD