Applied Mechanics

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
Jon
Deck Plate Wanderer

Applied Mechanics

Post by Jon »

Does anyone have any recommendations for applied mechanics study material.
I was given a print out of questions by my local college but this jumps from question to question, getting harder as they go.
I'm not really absorbing anything so I need to get back to basics.

Also, are there any short courses offered to bring people like me back up to speed?
Thanks, Jon.
Max Oiltemp
Deck Plate Wanderer
Currently located: Prince Edward Island / Dubai

Re: Applied Mechanics

Post by Max Oiltemp »

Hi Jon -

I was able to do all the Applied Mechanics exams through 1st Class with only high-school math and Reed's Volume 2: Applied Mechanics for Marine Engineers. If you're really rusty, you might want Volume 1 as well - Mathematics for Engineers. Actually, The Reeds' series - along with C.C. Pounder's Marine Diesel Engines were pretty much the only books I used at all. I was younger and smarter then... :roll:

Good luck,
Max
Jon
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by Jon »

Thanks Max,
I keep telling myself that the exams can't be that difficult since everyone else has passed them.
But still, they can seem a little daunting at first. Reed's it is.
Jon
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

I also found the "Engineering Science" by Hughes and Hughes is pretty good too. If you can find it, the Memorial University distance applied mechanics course was very good in providing the precise info, not too much, but inclusive to the task. The problem is there were quite a few errors in there and the program are pretty old, but if you can "find it" it a pretty good guide that "holds your hand".

Either way the task is not easy no matter how you slice it. I know from experience. I just don't have enough time to do it, so here I sit with a crappy ticket... The only people I see able to upgrade their license are single people, able to dedicate a fair bit of time to the project. Attached, perhaps, with kids, forget about it.....
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
Max Oiltemp
Deck Plate Wanderer
Currently located: Prince Edward Island / Dubai

Post by Max Oiltemp »

I keep telling myself that the exams can't be that difficult since everyone else has passed them.
I wouldn't say that everyone else has passed them. I know more than one person who has tried two or three times before giving up. Some people just have a difficult time getting their heads around the math - that's where a tutor, or even just a friend to study with, can be invaluable. Sometimes all you need is a nudge in the right direction and everything becomes wonderfully, sparklingly clear!

Martin is right about the difficulties of studying while trying to work, maintain a family and..., you know..., have a life. I was fortunate inasmuch as I did my studying Way Back When U.I.C. (as it was called then) would pay benefits while you went to school. If you're trying it on your own, you definitely have to get out of the house with its constant distractions. I found the local library to be an excellent place to study which also had ready access to other materials than those which you've lugged in. If your significant other balks at the idea, you might try leaving a few Positions Vacant listings which mention the better salaries available to those with higher tickets lying around - I understand that BC Ferries pay their engineers really well!! :twisted:

If it was easy, everybody would be doing it....

Regards,
Max

*Edited for spelling. Fortunately, none of the exams were on grammar.*
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

Maths is the key to all the theory Exams, which used to be known as "Part A" when I was 6th Engineer in a ship with a manualmatic Doxford. (The voice powered telephone was "high tech"). Max is right in that a math tutor would be invaluable until the rust is outa your brain, it's unseized and running well. Reeds Applied Mechanics is the way to go, that's all I needed for 2nd and 1st Class. It's organized into topics, you won't mix up vectors with moments.

Attempt every question at the end of each topic (avoid the ones marked "f" if you're doing 2nd Class) and do all the exam questions at the end of the book. All questions have solutions in the book. If you answer them all, there's a good chance you've done the questions you'll get on the Exam.

You can get 2nd Class sample questions from TC here: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/tp ... u-1497.htm

There's lots of samples here in DieselDuck too. You'll need paper, a pen, a pencil (with an eraser) an electric slide rule and determination. It's doable, even I passed them!
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

thank God mine is long passed. It would be like dredging a harbor instead of clearing the rust!
carbob
Leak Patrol
Currently located: St. John's, NL

Post by carbob »

Amen, JK, I'm glad to be clear of it as well. Took me 3 tries to get it, but the first 2 were only half-hearted affairs, mostly to satisfy a chief I was sailing with.

Fortunately, I managed to squeeze some education leave from my company in order to finish the remainder of my certificate( in return for a couple of years of indentured servitude!! ). Found it was no good to try and do anything at home, so registered at the Cod College, and just spent each day in the library going over the Reed's books. Wrote an exam a month until it was completed.

Funny thing though, I expected to be elated and such once it was completed ( told the wife I would be drunk for a week! ), but all I felt was relieved to have it done.

But, at least it's done.

Good luck, Jon.