Exam Questions

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
nedyalkov
Bilge Dweller

Exam Questions

Post by nedyalkov »

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has any questions off of the actual exams. I am currently writing my thirds, will be going for thermo in the next few week. I have some questions I got from the mechanics exam which I can post if anyone is interested. I know the exams are not very hard but it always helps if you know some of the questions.

I also would like to share my experience when I went to write the mechanics exam last year. I went the first and the examiner failed me with 58% when I needed 60 % to pass, so I said ok I will prepare better. I scheduled the exam again but this time there were questions I have never studied for, which I came to find were from the naval architecture book of reeds and this time I failed with 56%. I went third time, and now I knew the books cover to cover. A week later I get an email saying that I failed with 24%. I couldn't believe it so I said I want to come and review the exam. There wasn't a single question I hadn't done the night before. So I go there and even before I went in the review room the examiner said you passed. I didn't know what so say, should I be happy of mad. He told me that he had asked around and found that my questions were correct but I was using different method, which I don't know how it is possible as all questions were off of reeds books and I used their method. So any how we still reviewed the exam and we came to a question where I was marked wrong. I looked at question, and I said this questions is correct. He told me no look at the answer sheet, which he had, and sure enough they had the answer for a similar question but not the one on the exam paper. The examiner said you should write a comment which will go to Ottawa. I was really frustrated, how am I suppose to know that they have the wrong answer. Probably I had enough to pass the exam the first time. Now my advice to everyone writing an exam, unless you are absolutely sure you failed go and review that exam, and the answers they have. Nobody is writing these exams for fun, and we deserve to be marked the proper way, our future depends on it.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Re: Exam Questions

Post by The Dieselduck »

What a horror show for you. Yet another example why Parts As should be scrapped ASAP (http://www.blueriband.ca).

I am not sure if you've seen it yet, but in the Ship's Library area of the main site http://www.dieselduck.info/library/ there are numerous documents to assist you. Over time people submit their actual exam questions, and I update the pages online with the new questions, perhaps these would be of assistance to you.

And fresh off the press, last night to be exact, another two "Mike's Guide" are ready, but not yet published; but I attached them here. Friend of the site Mike, has successfully done what you are doing, and shares some of his notes. He's now completed his seconds, so I guess it must have worked for him!

Hope that helps,
2012-Mikes Guide 3M EK General.pdf
(732.93 KiB) Downloaded 695 times
2012-Mikes Guide 3M EK Motor.pdf
(772.4 KiB) Downloaded 703 times
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

Of course you are entitled to a review of a failed Exam. The first review is with the Examiner and if you are not satisfied with that result, you can appeal. The exam paper then goes to Ottawa, where three Examiners will mark the exam independently and a final decision made......and the decision IS final. You should have filled in a "review request" form when you did the exam, just in case you failed and wanted a review :)
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

God, how depressing for you. Kudos for sticking with it.
nedyalkov
Bilge Dweller

Post by nedyalkov »

Thanks for your replies. I actually have heard stories from other engineers doing their exams, and having to deal with TC laziness and incompetence. It is a shame for an institution like TRANSPORT OF CANADA, they should be on top of their stuff.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

I don't know where you wrote your Exam, but in defence of my colleagues, Examiners are committed professionals who do not fail candidates lightly. I suggest you simply were not good enough. If you have a complaint, please feel free to contact AMSPE in Ottawa, the address is in TP 2293 on the web, available to the public. Failing that, try Lisa Rait, Minister of Transport, you'll find her e-mail in the gov.ca pages.

As an addendum, Examiners do not exist to pass candidates who have taken courses, Examiners examine Engineers to international standards, STCW 95, soon to be STCW 2010, so a Canadian Certificate of Competence may be regarded in any part of the world as of the highest standard, and Canadian Engineers the best in the world at the job.

THAT is why the questions are not easy, and that is why they will get harder as technology increases and questions are updated on a weekly basis.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
westcoaster
Bilge Dweller

Post by westcoaster »

After recently writing TC general and motor exams it is quite apparent the TC question bank has not kept up with technology. A good approach would be for TC to use exams from the UK. They seem to be much more practical and relevant. I understand there are still a lot of old vessels in Canada's domestic fleet but if we want to meet STCW 2010 our exams should be based on technology relevant to the international fleet. Hopefully more resources will be put towards updating these questions than has been in the past.
kvio
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Toronto

Post by kvio »

1EK. MOTOR
2stroke diesel engine can be supplied with scavenginformation air using direct driven rotary blower and reciprocating pump or by independently driven rotary blower.
Advantages and Dis.Heat losses exhaust.
Please to help with this question
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

Pounder
Lambs
Reeds Motor Vessels
"Red Book"
Magibbons