T.C inspector's exam

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
banasa
Tanktop Cleaner

T.C inspector's exam

Post by banasa »

Any idea how it looks like questions for the process used by T.C to select the futur inspectors ?
Thanks
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Re: T.C inspector's exam

Post by JollyJack »

You need:

Canadian Citizenship.
!st Class, Motor or steam, Canadian.
STCW III/2 valid Certificate of Competence, Canadian)
STCW V1/1, basic safety
STCW VI/2 survival abd rescue craft, other than fast rescue craft.
STCW VI/3, advanced firefighting for Officers
MED 'D' for senior officers
Marine Advaced First Aid
Seafarer's Medical, current and valid.
Proof of Canadian Citizenship

Appyy on line at Public Service Commission website
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

I went to the government website and pulled a inspectors call letter at random, this is a CFIA food inspector:

https://emploisfp-psjobs.cfp-psc.gc.ca/ ... psrsMode=1

First off, you have to meet the conditions of employment as Jolly Jack has laid out.

What you are going to be questioned on is laid out in the Knowledge portion. in this example:
Knowledge of food processing methods and the hazards and controls related to the processing methods.
Knowledge of the inspection methods and procedures and/or relevant grade and standards.
Knowledge of HACCP principles, audit procedures and investigative techniques.
Knowledge of the Federal Acts and Regulations relevant to the position governing food, plant protection and animal health. For additional information, please consult http://www.inspection.gc.ca)
You will be asked a question on every portion of the knowledge section and have to pass.

Plus, in the Abilities and Skills:
Thinking / Judgement
Planning / Organizing
Teamwork
Initiative
Effective Interpersonal Relations
Persuasion/Negotiation
Adaptability and Flexibility
Communication (Oral and Written)

Simulation Exercise for Inspectors of the CFIA;

The Simulation Exercise for Inspectors (SEI) of the CFIA will be used for competency assessment and candidates must obtain the pass mark for each competency at the level EG-02, EG-03 and/or EG-04 to pass the test for consideration of positions they have applied for.
For this position you will undergo a test, probably put the person in a situation and see how it is dealt with.

You could also have some behaviour based questions.
I do know that TC have used them in the past. Because we are all certificated, TC presumes that the knowledge is there, so they ask questions to see how you deal with situations based on your past.
So you can look at the Abilities and just think about some situation that shows how you have shown this in the past.
If they do this, you will need to have someone as a reference for checking. I strongly suggest you Google, Behaviour Based Interviews and read up on them. It is suprisingly difficult for most people to answer, "Why are you the best person for this job?"

When you go in, don't be surprised if there is a stenographer in the room taking down everything. TC Inspectors may have to go to court and testify, so I think this is to see how you react to that.

Everything that you will be asked is in the SOMC, Statement of Merit Critia. So read it very carefully.
Anyway, hope this helps.
banasa
Tanktop Cleaner

Post by banasa »

Many thanks, really helpfull
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

I'm going to do a more extensive post on applying for government jobs when I have a moment. Your question made me realize that the info is lacking on here. we post links but not anything else.
If you are in the process of applying, take the SOMC ( as in the link I posted above) and write your experience and knowledge to directly answer each point. If you can get your hands on a job description it would help.
rodrigger
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by rodrigger »

Before you go through the above mention test you will be called for a knowledge written & communication test

The knowledge written test will assess the following essential qualifications:
·Knowledge of the Canada Shipping Act 2001 and subtending regulations
·Knowledge of international maritime legislation including conventions
·Knowledge of Transport Canada Marine Safety Program activities

The Written Communication Test WCT-345 will assess the ability to communicate effectively in writing.
·mechanics of writing (grammar, spelling and punctuation)
·content
·style (structure, usage and conciseness)

Please see the following link for more information about the exam: http://www.psc-cfp.gc.ca/ppc-cpp/psc-te ... 55-eng.htm

Hope this helps
Cheers & Good luck
Cornelius R
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Also look through the "Inside Government " tab here:

http://jobs-emplois.gc.ca/centres/apply ... g.php?p=1#

This will help you with the Values and Ethics and other government policies to understand how to answer some of the questions.