UK COC TO CANADIAN

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
dh27
Bilge Dweller

UK COC TO CANADIAN

Post by dh27 »

Hi,
I currently have a UK class 2 motor ticket and have passed my class 1 nav arc and general/motor paper but still need to sit electro,heat and mechanics.
Travelling back to the UK from BC everytime to sit exams is not ideal and a lot of pressure around one 3 hour exam. I could not sit the nav arc and electro at the same time so just focused on the one.

Have been digging through the various information on the transport canada website and contacted TC head office where they informed me i would be better finishing all my tickets in the UK and then sending everything in.

Just wondering if anyone had done there canadian academic subjects and tried using them for there UK tickets i.e sitting canadian heat,mech and electro and using them for there UK ticket exemptions.

Also do you get a Canadian COC without sitting anymore exams i.e UK class 2 motor gives you a Canadian class 2 motor ticket?

Ive been in BC for 10 years so eventually i think i will end up working here to stop all the travel.

Thanks for any input people can give .

Cheers
Dave
rodrigger
Deck Plate Wanderer

Re: UK COC TO CANADIAN

Post by rodrigger »

To get a canadian equivalent class 2 coc you do have to pass EKG & EKM and finally orals. You should have no problem getting an exemption for your class 2 academic papers since you currently have a Uk class 2 . You mention that you have passed your class 1 EKG & EKM + nav.arc. How did you manage to do that? Passing all the academic papers are one of the pre-requisite before writing EK's.
dh27
Bilge Dweller

Post by dh27 »

Hi,
I may have confused things. I returned to the UK and sat my general and motor paper and nav arc. Gave up with electrotech as 4 exams in 5 days was to much.
So to get my Canadian class 2 COC and would have to sit a Canadian class 2 general and motor paper? Anything else apart from oral?
Just still wondering if anyone has used there class 1 academic qualifications to get exemption from UK academic exams?
The Canadian system is so much more flexible as from what I understand you can sit the exams at any time of year?

Thanks for taking the time to reply and I would be really interested to hear from any UK guys who obtained there canadian tickets and how they found it.

Thanks!
rodrigger
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by rodrigger »

you should go to a transport canada marine safety office and meet the examiner and ask all the question . In BC, each engineering exams are held on a particular date/day/time and not "any time of the year" . You can ask for a copy of the exam schedules.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

Have a look at page 54 of TP 2293, right here:

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=& ... 0786,d.b2U

Download the .pdf file, tells you all you ever wanted to know.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
Ajay
Tanktop Cleaner

Post by Ajay »

You surely have to write ek motor, ek general and oral exams, and if you are unlucky they may even ask you to write technical drawing too. I am going through this process now .
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

Provisions for Direct Examination

CERTIFICATES ISSUED BY AN AUTHORITY OTHER THAN THE MINISTER
1) Section 119 of the Marine Personnel Regulations describes the process of direct examination,
whereby a Canadian citizen or permanent resident within the meaning of subsection 2(1) of the
Immigration and Refugee Protection Act will be assessed on the basis of the qualifications
described in section 119 for the purpose of obtaining a Canadian certificate issued under the
Regulations.

2) A certificate of service issued by the Minister, or a certificate of competency issued by a foreign
government or by a Canadian authority other than the Minister, has no direct equivalency
expressly provided for under the Canada Shipping Act, 2001. Applicants holding such a certificate
must apply under section 119 of the Marine Personnel Regulations and produce all the documents
listed in subsection (2) of section 2.5.

3) On the basis of the provisions of the Marine Personnel Regulations that apply to the certificate
sought, the Director, Marine Personnel Standards and Pilotage (AMSP), determines the level at
which a lawful holder of one of the certificates referred to in subsection (2) will be accepted for
direct examination.

And the Marine Personnel regs say

119. (1) A qualified person who wishes to obtain a certificate issued under these Regulations and who is the holder of one of the following documents may apply for an examiner to assess their qualifications against the requirements of these Regulations for the purpose of obtaining a certificate of an equivalent or lower rank:

(a) a certificate issued under the STCW Convention, valid for use at sea without restrictions as to tonnage or class of voyage, issued by an Administration recognized by the IMO as being STCW compliant;
Hardit
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: At sea

Post by Hardit »

Hello

@dh27 and @ajay

Did you finally shift to Canadian system? How many exams did you resist for here and what about the moduler courses. Did you have to retake those too?
I am about to start the process of shifting my UK masters COC to candadian one. Any pointer will be appreciated.
bw5991
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Glasgow

Post by bw5991 »

@Hardit

I started the process thinking it would be simple, not so simple! (I have a UK Third Class Engine CoC, qualified in 2016 and been working bulk/AHTS since).

Firstly I am only eligible to go for a Fourth Class Canadian CoC. Transport Canada recognised my academic qualifications and STCW certificates but that was pretty much it. To obtain a Fourth Class I need to go for an engine room watchkeeping course as well as an engine room management course, sit my engineering knowledge exams and pass an oral.

They are only following their legislation so I think that is the best you can get in this case, maybe you can better gauge your own situation with this information. I only need to decide if it is worth the time and money to go through with everything.
Hardit
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: At sea

Post by Hardit »

@BW5991

Thanks for the reply mate. best of luck for your test :)
i have put my process on hold for now. will see latter in the year.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

As a retired Examiner, (retired as of last July) I would advise you to present a valid STCW Certificate of Competence. If your ticket has expired, you'll get nothing. STCW validated MED Certificates are accepted IF THEY ARE CURRENTLY VALID, ie refreshed in the past 5 years. For 2nd Class you will need Tech Drawing and PPS 2, EKs and Orals will be required too.