STCW Refresher courses

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
Brad
Leak Patrol
Currently located: Canada

STCW Refresher courses

Post by Brad »

Hello all,
It's been a while,

With the STCW requirement for refresher courses in Emergency duties (MED's) coming into force Jan 2017, are there any courses offered in Canada yet?

I just got off the phone with BCIT in North Vancouver (PMTI to those older than the internet) and they say
"We've had some interest, but I don't know if we are offering anything"

With that in mind, would refresher courses taken overseas, STCW approved, be accepted by TC at face value. I work for a UK company and they mostly send me to UK or Singers for training, but that's not Certificate requirement training.

I will be working the phones this morning like a tele-marketer, in search for more info but thought best to ask here as well.

Thanks
Brad
Leak Patrol
Currently located: Canada

Re: STCW Refresher courses

Post by Brad »

So far the consensus is that schools are developing courses to put forward to TC for approval, with target dates of this fall. Then with approval, courses can be ready for 2016 entry. Schools are looking to develop 1 week (30.5hr) all in one courses, as well as individual refreshers.
NLMate
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: NL, Canada

Post by NLMate »

As far as I know like you said most schools currently have courses being developed subject to TC approval, with delivery early next year if approved. I have a funny feeling that this is going to turn into a colossal cluster-f@*k when it comes time for every mariner in Canada being due to renew licenses at the same time. I am really not looking forward to it.
Atlantic
Leak Patrol

Post by Atlantic »

Hi all, I thought if you are working and take part in regular drills you don't need any course for certification? Anybody heard anything like that?
NLMate
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: NL, Canada

Post by NLMate »

Apparently that may be correct, I heard someone this morning say that if you have the testimonials that state you have participated in regular drills then that would suffice in order to renew your certificate without having to do the MED refresher. I have not seen anything to that effect on paper nor have I heard direct from a TC examiner but if true, it would indeed be good news. That being said I still am not looking forward to Dec 2016/ Jan 2017.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

I take it, then you haven't read the STCW 2010 Manilla Amendments? Look at Regulation 1/11, revalidation of Certificates, and section A-1/11.

Regulation 1/11 para 1 says Every Master, Officer holding a Certificate issued to or recognized under the Convention OTHER THAN CHAPTER VI (which is MED training) who is serving at sea.........shall be required, at intervals not exceeding 5 years:

.1 meet the standards of medical fitness prescribed by Regulation 1/9, and

.2 establish continued professional competence in accordance with section A-1/11 of the STCW code.

Section A-1/11 says, seagoing service of 12 months in the previous 5 years or 3 months in the previous SIX MONTHS! (That's a change to watch for, right now it's 3 months in the previous 12.)

If you don't have enough sea service, you write an exam and do a MED refresher, same as it is now.

Do yourself a favour, don't heed rumours, pay no attention to "I heard that..." READ THE BLOODY BOOK!

Section A-I/11
Revalidation of certificates
Professional competence
1 Continued professional competence as required under regulation I/11 shall be established by:
.1 approved seagoing service, performing functions appropriate to the certificate
held, for a period of at least:
.1.1 twelve months in total during the preceding five years, or
.1.2 three months in total during the preceding six months immediately prior to
revalidating; or
.2 having performed functions considered to be equivalent to the seagoing service
required in paragraph 1.1; or
.3 passing an approved test; or
.4 successfully completing an approved training course or courses; or
.5 having completed approved seagoing service, performing functions appropriate to
the certificate held, for a period of not less than three months in a supernumerary
capacity, or in a lower officer rank than that for which the certificate held is valid
immediately prior to taking up the rank for which it is valid.

Read it here:

http://www.imo.org/OurWork/HumanElement ... .../34.pdf
Discourage incest, ban country "music".