1st class part A's need direction to begin studying

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
Fdecrom
Bilge Dweller

1st class part A's need direction to begin studying

Post by Fdecrom »

Hi. I am starting to study for the part A exams for 1st class. I've decided to do applied mechanics first.

I am wondering if I can get some advice from people who have done this process as to if I should start with Reeds applied mechanics or if I should just focus on practice questions?

I can see how reeds is good to help with some things you can't understand and to actually learn the theory of the subjects.

I suppose what I'm asking is if the 1st class practice questions in reeds are worth doing or not? Should I just try up learn the theory from reeds and solve the practice questions that are on diesel duck or other actual transport canada exam questions?
D Winsor
Superintendent
Currently located: Dartmouth

Re: 1st class part A's need direction to begin studying

Post by D Winsor »

Regardless of the source of questions the Reed's books will provide you with most of the information required to answer the questions.
I would suggest tackling the questions in the book first to refresh you math skills, and then practice answering questions from other sources where the answers are not so readily available to hone your ability to calculate a solution.
Remember the whole purpose of the exam is not an exercise in math, but to prove your ability to do calculations necessary by using the correct formulas and steps, to help solve problems in the real world with the raw information made available to you and the answer is both accurate and correct.
Troubleshooting 101 "Don't over think it - K.I.S.S. it"
Fdecrom
Bilge Dweller

Post by Fdecrom »

Thank you D Winsor
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

Reeds is good, try the questions marked "f", they are 1st Class. Do not neglect 2nd moments. :)
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
kvio
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Toronto

Post by kvio »

Could help with Applied mechanics.
Sea Rover
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by Sea Rover »

Just study the 55 applied mechanics questions in the binder I sent you and start with that exam.
MikeH
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: London, Ontario

Post by MikeH »

Sea Rover wrote:Just study the 55 applied mechanics questions in the binder I sent you and start with that exam.
Hello, I'm studying for the applied mechanics exam as well. Do you have a copy of these 55 questions you spoke of earlier?
Thanks!
harmanjindergill
First Time Poster

Post by harmanjindergill »

Sea Rover wrote:Just study the 55 applied mechanics questions in the binder I sent you and start with that exam.
Hi I am also starting my Mechanics can you please help me with these 55 questions