Writing Third Class exams

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
Curt233
Mechanic
Currently located: Comox Valley

Writing Third Class exams

Post by Curt233 »

Hi,
Has anyone on here recently wrote any exams for 3rd class or 2nd class? I am wondering how exactly they want the answer written. Are they looking for the reeds way of writing, or are they just looking for you to show how you got the answer.
Thanks
Curt.
Revolver
Chief Engineer

Re: Writing Third Class exams

Post by Revolver »

3rds EKG and Motor are simple and straight forward.
If you know Reeds General and Motor books it's no problem. I had less sketching than expected, but they were very straight fwd questions.

As for calculation exams, I have no experience in a TC setting.
I know that I would be inclined to answer any calculation problem showing workings and by whatever method I felt comfortable answering the questions by, even if it wasn't written the same way as reeds - The answers would still be correct, so I can't imagine any problem.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

If I can follow your method, step by step, showing each calculation, there's a good chance you'll score on the question. eg. If a decimal point is put in the wrong place, you will be penalised for that. Of course, that will throw the whole calculation out, but, as you have been penalised for the initial mistake, it won't lose any more for that mistake. The rest of the calculation is followed and, if there are no other mistakes, there will be no other lost marks. The correct answer is worth only 10% of the value of the question. If you are a wizard with a calculator and put only the correct answer for the question, you will fail. Yes, I've done it before. The Rules state quite clearly to show your working.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
Curt233
Mechanic
Currently located: Comox Valley

Post by Curt233 »

Perfect. Thanks guys for the responses, much appreciated.
Curt