ROC-MC

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
Hypatia
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: British Columbia

ROC-MC

Post by Hypatia »

A tug captain told me that I aught to get my SOTO certification. Can't hurt, right? One of the pre-reqs is to get a ROC-MC license. I have the study guide, and I'm ready to challenge the exam. I live in Vancouver. I'm having trouble figuring out where I can go to take the exam and how much it will cost. Does anyone know?
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Re: ROC-MC

Post by JollyJack »

I believe that's Industry Canada, I know it's not TC
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

Hypatia
Bilge Dweller

Post by Hypatia »

Thanks. None of those institutions will give challenge exams, you have to take the full $500 course. I called industry canada, and they said the same thing: you have to take the course.

Which means the published syllabus must be wrong:
https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.n ... llengeExam
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

It's all about the money, and only the money, all the time, to quote a well known Dragon who wants to be PM.
Revolver
Chief Engineer

Post by Revolver »

You're on this Web site, are you an engineer? I believe if you have your engineering certification and tanker endorsement, that will supersede a SOTO so maybe check into that and you can have at er. Heh
Hypatia
Bilge Dweller

Post by Hypatia »

I'm a cadet. Just looking for a way to make a little cash in the mean time.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

From http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regu ... -2007-115/ Marine Personnel Regulations. Sections 161 and 162

Supervisor of an Oil Transfer Operation

An applicant for a Supervisor of an Oil Transfer Operation certificate shall meet the requirements set out in column 1 of the table to this section and the corresponding specifications set out in column 2.

TABLE
Item Column 1 Requirements

1 Experience At least 3 months of qualifying service performing duties relating to oil transfer operations involving one or more oil tankers or other vessels carrying oil for cargo.

Column 2, Specifications

2 Certificates to be provided to the examiner
(a) MED with respect to basic safety;

(b) training with respect to supervision of an oil transfer operation; and

(c) marine basic first aid.

Supervisor of an Oil Transfer Operation in Arctic Waters (North of 60° N)

An applicant for a Supervisor of an Oil Transfer Operation in Arctic Waters (North of 60° N) certificate shall meet the requirements set out in column 1 of the table to this section and the corresponding specifications set out in column 2.

TABLE
Item
Column 1 Requirements

1 Experience
Within the 5 years before the application date for issuance of the certificate, under the supervision of the holder of a Supervisor of an Oil Transfer Operation in Arctic Waters (North of 60° N) certificate,

(a) have assisted, while holding a Supervisor of an Oil Transfer Operation certificate, in at least three oil transfer operations in waters north of 60° N;

(b) have acquired two Arctic shipping seasons of service, during which the applicant has assisted in at least three oil transfer operations in waters north of 60° N; or

(c) have assisted in at least 6 oil transfer operations in waters north of 60° N.

Column 2 Specifications

2 Certificates to be provided to the examiner
If the applicant does not hold a Supervisor of an Oil Transfer Operation certificate,

(a) MED with respect to basic safety;

(b) training with respect to supervision of an oil transfer operation; and

(c) marine basic first aid.

Nothing here about ROC-MC, you don't need it. Note that section 161 is SOTO south of 60°N and 162 is SOTO in the Arctic, north of 60°N