sea to land

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
fracman
Tanktop Cleaner
Currently located: gom

sea to land

Post by fracman »

sorry sailors but this kinda goes agianst our way, but i have a delema. due to family problems i need to seek employment on land. its a hard thing to face for me because this is all i know. i have a DDE unlimited chief osv, and my question is this. what if any license on land can i convert to or use my current license toward? ive heard people say that i can work at any building or hospital with a diesel generator or power plant of this nature. i dont know if this holds water but more info would be appretiated.
alanocean
Leak Patrol
Currently located: New Brunswick, Canada

Post by alanocean »

Not 100% sure but I have been led to belive that marine engineering tickets are somewhat transferable to a power engineers ticket. A fourth class can write the fourth class power exam without any aditional scholling or training....a third class marine ticket will give you a fourth class power and you can write the third class and a second and chiefs ticket will give you a third or second class... Not sure how this holds up but that is what I have been told! Cheers
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

Look for a engineering superintendent job. Most Chief engineers won't came ashore, so companies can't get experienced shore personnel.

Good luck.
ArkSeaJumper
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Ireland

Post by ArkSeaJumper »

Supers job as JK says

or

Surveyor
Insurance surveyor
dry dock engineer
Port engineer
Maritime collage

You have a long list of jobs you could put yourself forward for, you have proven you can train to a high standard, you have engineering qualifications, and you have managing experience. You have experience (probably) dealing with many different nationalities.

People I have trained and worked with have ended up in some strange positions, often totally unrelated to the shipping business.
fracman
Tanktop Cleaner

Post by fracman »

im trying not to have to relocate from north texas but it seems that a move would be in order. where im at there is no marine industry so i was looking for a job that would have a power plant or some kind of plant that used engines that ran pumps of some sort. i really have no clue. im just really tryiin to adjust to the idea..
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

When I wrote my power ticket, I had to write a level lower then the steam ticket I held.
Then I let the darn thing expire, never occurred to me that you had to pay yearly to keep the certificate alive :oops:
Madzng
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: London

Post by Madzng »

I have regularly been to Houston on container vessels, oil and gas tankers.

There are plenty of refineries and terminals around the Houston ship canal, all of which need maintence and service engineers/managers. They will know the value of a good marine engineer and will recognise and appreciate your skills.

The refineries will have a large amount of plant which requires daily upkeep and monitoring. Many generate their own steam for the heating required in the refinery processes, some even their own electricity.

It will probably be shift work, and require relocation, but there should be plenty of opportunities to progress your career ashore.

I hope everything works out.
fracman
Tanktop Cleaner

Post by fracman »

right on, i appreciate the reply. i thought about refineries and plants of that nature, but i wasnt sure if the required a degree or come kind of certification in that field. but i guess a generator is a generator. ill be looking in to it, thanx.
TxMarEng
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: Albuquerque New Mexico

Shoreside work

Post by TxMarEng »

Some states require stationary engineers licenses. Check out Think Energy or MerchantPowerPlant.com They have many shore side jobs in power plants, etc. Hard to get on as a surveyor these days with any of the class societies without degree and unlimited ticket. Also check out Monster.com as Think posts on their heavily.

Good luck!

From "downtown" Santa Fe Texas
Fire12
First Time Poster

Re: sea to land

Post by Fire12 »

Good Luck to everyone..I appreciate to the job....

Good Day!!

Regards

Albert

_________
Pret immobilier
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Re: sea to land

Post by Big Pete »

Good luck with the job hunting,

a couple of ideas no one else has mentioned, there used to be jobs advertised in the UK shipping newspapers for ship's engineers to operate & maintain breweries and sugar refineries.

A sugar refinery basically has big rollers to crush the cane, water pumps to wash the sugar out of the cane, multi stage flash evaporators to concentrate the sugar solution, centrifuges to seperate out the sugar crystals, a boiler to provide heat and maybe an electrical generation plant. I am sure there is nothing there that a marine engineer can't handle.

I was tempted once to relocate to some tropical paradise and do the job, but I didn't get it.

BP
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.