Career change as a 4th

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
dermott03
Bilge Dweller

Career change as a 4th

Post by dermott03 »

What is a 4th to do?
I had been working for three years as an oiler before upgrading my ticket to 4th class marine engineering. I was lucky enough to slide right into a position with the same company and worked as a 4th class for a year before they decided to lay everyone off.

Work seems to be scarce right now for 4th classes so I wanted to see what my options are. Where can I go with my ticket? Are there non-marine applications I can use my ticket towards? I hear lots about power engineering but all my experience is tankers where the closest I got to steam was the boilers. ( I worked as a third there due to the motor size so the boilers where my responsibility ) I am located on the east coast of canada but willing to go anywhere.

I am really just not sure what to do or where to turn. The marine field has dried up (joke intended) so hopefully someone here knows something that can help me out. Thanks!
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: Career change as a 4th

Post by JK »

Usually the provincial Labour Board will credit you 1 level below your certification. I had a 2nd steam and they let me write a 3rds. Irving was looking for people for the tug boats. Coast guard is always looking, but getting thru the rigamorole may be daunting, plus the new government pay system is challenging. You may find you will be working back as an oiler.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Re: Career change as a 4th

Post by JollyJack »

Check out the Power Engineer, emphasise your boiler experience, you could probably knock off the 4S steam ticket. Tanker Sunrod Boilers can get up to 15 bar plus running turbine cargo pumps and up-and-downer stripping pumps. Have a go a 4S, what do you have to lose, $27;50? If you have 4S, you'll get 4th class power engineer. (at least I did)
Discourage incest, ban country "music".