Engine Room Resource management course

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
waqas3075
Deck Plate Wanderer
Currently located: Canada

Engine Room Resource management course

Post by waqas3075 »

Hello All,
My name is Waqas Khan. I am a Class 4 Motor from Pakistan and I landed in Canada (Ontario) in 2017 start. I want to start my marine career in Canada.I recently got my Assessment letter from Transport Canada. They asked me to do 2 courses.

1. Propulsive plant simulator Level 1
2. Engine Room Resource Management for STCW 2010.

I want to know from where I can take these courses because I am in Ontario right now. I found PPS level 1 course in Georgian college Owen Sound Campus but I cant find the other course (Engine room Resource Management ) anywhere. I search on google but I cant find any College offering this course right now so please can you tell me from where can I take that course anywhere in Canada.

Secondly, I wanted to ask about the books to prepare Class 4 transport Canada exam, I heard about the "Candy Series" to prepare exam but from where can I buy Candy series in Ontario and what is the author name for the books to prepare class 4 Transport Canada.

Kindly please help me. Thanks in advance for all of you guys.
Regards
Waqas Khan
[email protected]
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Re: Engine Room Resource management course

Post by Big Pete »

Hi Waqas,
I am English, so I can't help you on this, but there is someone from Transport Canada who can and probably will, when he gets round to reading your post.
Merry Xmas.
BP
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
D Winsor
Superintendent
Currently located: Dartmouth

Post by D Winsor »

I agree with Big Pete's recommendation with respect to the Engine room Resource Management course to go to your local T/C office and ask where to get the course or if it is still needed. You may however not be able to get an answer considering T/C is reviewing the certification process after suspending and revoking previously issued CoC's under the Manila 2010 rules.
If you look in other parts of this Forum under "General Job Topics" there are number of threads with information on the Certification process including information on issues with Canadian Certificates and compliance with Manila 2010
Troubleshooting 101 "Don't over think it - K.I.S.S. it"
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

I'm sure that the college in Owen Sound has a leadership and management course, call them and see. Does your assessment letter exempt you from any Examinations? Since November 2017, you'll need Applied Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Electrotechnology and Navel Arc. for 4th Class. See Ship Safety Bulletin 09/2017 http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/bu ... 09-eng.htm
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
waqas3075
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by waqas3075 »

Hello All,

Thank you for your reply. I recently got the assessment letter from transport canada. In that letter they asked me to do 2 courses and 2 exams of General engineering knowledge and Motor exam and oral exam.
The course name in the assessment letter is
“ STCW leadership and team working skills training course including engine room resource management” . Can you please tell me what is the exact name of this course for 2010 manila endorsement.

In BCIT, they are offering “leadership and teamworking skills” and in Pakistan, there is a course called “Engine room resource management”. I’ll appreciate if anyone can tell me exactly what the course is called in Canada so I can call and ask Owen Sound campus if they offer the course.

Thank you for all your help.
Waqas Khan.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

Both courses you mention are the same genre, the first is at "operational" level and the second "management" level. I guess they could be called Leadership 1 and Leadership 2, both designed to extract more money from Engineers wishing to advance. See how much the course is in Pakistan, ask AMSP in Ottawa if it's acceptable in Canada (Foreign training is, if it is approved by the Flag and is STCW compliant) and compare. It may be cheaper to return to Pakistan and do the course there, rather than shell out for a school in Canada.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
waqas3075
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by waqas3075 »

Hello
Thanks for the reply. I think the course name is Engine room Resource Management because i check in Pakistan . Transport canada will not accept my pakistani certificate because my all other certificates are from pakistan. Now they want me to do these courses from Canada.
No university is offering engine room resource management course now a days. How to find out when they will offer that course?