ETO CoC?

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
steve_n_ottawa
Tanktop Cleaner
Currently located: Ottawa

ETO CoC?

Post by steve_n_ottawa »

Hello all.
I've seen Ship Safety Bulletin (SSB) 05/2017 come and then go. I was very interested in the ETO CoC but that has completely been removed now.
I emailed the Marine Personnel Standards, Pilotage and Medicine Marine Safety & Security office and asked if/when will the ETO CoC path be specified and got this as an answer:

The Ship Safety Bulletin (SSB) 05/2017 “Update on how to meet STCW 2010 Manila Convention Requirements for Officers and Ratings in the Engine Department” was rescinded on November 7, 2017 due to inconsistencies with the Maritime personnel regulations and the STCW 2010 Manila Convention. Unfortunately, based on this fact, the Electro-Technical Officer Certificate of Competency will not be issued for the time being. As soon as the Maritime personnel regulations is amended to take into account the amendments made to the STCW 2010 Manila Convention we will begin issuing the ETO CoC based on the requirements set out then.

My question to the forum is: does anyone have _any_ insight into what "As soon as the Maritime personnel regulations is amended" actually means?
IE when will this occur? Will it occur? Should I seek a ETO CoC somewhere else instead of waiting for TC to get this done?
It's pretty difficult to plan a career around "as soon as the government gets around to this"! But at least they did answer my email!

Thanks for any insight you may offer!

-Steve
NLMate
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: NL, Canada

Re: ETO CoC?

Post by NLMate »

I was told by one of the Examiners at my local TC office that the MPR's are currently under review and being amended to meet the requirements of STCW 2010. According to that examiner they said it should be released sometime in 2018.

Personally I would not bet on that.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

I think TC is in turmoil. Their good people are fleeing in droves and retiring. Who knows who is doing this work now is the same person as last week.

When, and do not doubt it will happen, when there is a big accident, pollution, people killed, property destruction, there will be consternation at what has been allowed to happen to our regulatory oversight.

I thought the rail accident would do it but a scapegoat was found in a timely manner.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

I don't retire for a few months yet. :) Your info is correct Mr. Mate, ETO will come out with the new MPRs sometime this year. (2018)
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
steve_n_ottawa
Tanktop Cleaner

Post by steve_n_ottawa »

It would be great to have a bit of insight as to what the qualifications might be for experienced seafarers. If that is a route that will still be available that is. So this way I can at least prepare for the SSB/regs update. One big issue I see is that I don't believe there are any short courses available in Canada...or workshop courses if that will become a requirement.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

the problem is that the Feds make the rules, the provinces provide training courses.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

the requirements are all in the STCW code, section III/6, I based all the exams on that.
steve_n_ottawa
Tanktop Cleaner

Post by steve_n_ottawa »

Hello again all.
I've been reading the IMO STCW code regarding ETO qualifications.
Table A-III/6 spells things out pretty clearly.
What I'm after specifically is whether Canada will have some kind of 'experienced seafarer' clause like many other countries do. IE the UK's MCA has a document titled "Training & Certification Guidance: UK Requirements For Electro-technical Officers" where by they permit a route that experienced seafarers can go through to obtain the ETO CoC.
"3.3 If you are an existing ETO or are working in a similar capacity, with 12 months’ seagoing service as an ETO or 12 months’ seagoing service carrying out similar duties, you must: ..."
Does anyone have any insight if Canada will have a similar route? The UK shuts the door on this route in 2020 and all sea-time must have been obtained by 2016. I don't see anything in the IMO STCW Manila 2010 - Section A-III/6 & Section B-III/6 that refers to existing seafarers.
Basically, will Canada recognize people who have worked as ETOs for years? Or do we have to start all over again?
Thank you very much!
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

Steve, yes.
steve_n_ottawa
Tanktop Cleaner

Post by steve_n_ottawa »

Hi all.
I wonder if anyone has heard of any updates re STWC licensing?
Thanks.
-Steve
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

Have you seen viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4378 yet. I believe this may answer some of your questions.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
steve_n_ottawa
Tanktop Cleaner

Post by steve_n_ottawa »

Hi Martin and thanks for the link.
Too bad there isn't any 'meat' regarding the ETO route yet.
steve_n_ottawa
Tanktop Cleaner

Post by steve_n_ottawa »

Hi all.
I'm just trying to get some kind of updates on the STCW CoC for Canadian ETOs.
I've recently read TP2293E (is that the most recent draft of the new MPRs?). And it basically says if you want to be an ETO, then you have to either take a course (which certainly does not exist in Canada) or take a "transitional training program" (which also doesn't exist).
Does this mean that there is no grandfathering allowed?!?! What about people who have 10+ years on the job and want or need a ETO CoC? They now have to stop working and take one of these courses that don't exist?
I've read many other administrations (UK, USA, NZ, Australia etc) and they ALL have provisions for experienced crew.
Is this draft going to be made into law as it is? Is there still time to add grandfathering provisions? Or alternate routes?
Thanks for any insight you may offer!
BTW, I've emailed Mr Bernard Leclerc and hoping that he will respond with 'official' information.
-Steve
steve_n_ottawa
Tanktop Cleaner

Post by steve_n_ottawa »

Squeaky wheel gets the oil right?
So here is an except from the STCW code regarding quals to get to ETO CoC:
(I've omitted paragraphs to which would not apply to me for brevity)

STCW Regulation III/6 of Chapter III (STCW 2010 Resolution 1)
Mandatory Minimum Requirements for Certification of Electro-Technical Officers
1)
2)
3)
4) Seafarers may be considered by the Party to have met the requirements of this regulation if they have served in a relevant capacity on board a ship for a period of not less than 12 months within the last 60 months preceding the entry into force of this regulation for that Party and meet the standard of competence specified in section A-III/6 of the STCW Code.
5)

Does anyone know if the new MPR are going to include paragraph 4? I have seen some draft floating around but they don't seem to have this grandfather clause in them.

Anyone know for certain? Or is there no certainty yet?!?!?
Thank you everyone!
-Steve
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

NSCC in Port Hawkesbury offers the ETO course, I saw it on the billboard as I drove past.