1st Class General and Motor Notes

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
mengineer85
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Maritimes

1st Class General and Motor Notes

Post by mengineer85 »

Just wondering if anyone has any study material for the 1st Class General and Motor besides what is listed under the library section of this site? Try and get this ticket behind me, sick of having it linger over my head hah! Thanks in advance.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Re: 1st Class General and Motor Notes

Post by JollyJack »

I can only repeat what the Examiner told me. "This Examination is on General Engineering Knowledge, that's everything you know about Engineering. Well? What do you know?"

Now, it also includes International Maritime Laws and Canadian Regulations. See TP 2293 for the whole thing.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/ma ... p2293e.pdf

You'll see "REPEALED" stamped all over it, that's because the STCW 2010 revision isn't done yet, but you'll get an idea of what is required.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
Aarora
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: India

Post by Aarora »

just wondering if anyone here can sugggest from where to begin preparing for TC class 1 oral examination and what to expect from the examiner during oral examination.
Revolver
Chief Engineer

Post by Revolver »

Aarora wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:38 am just wondering if anyone here can sugggest from where to begin preparing for TC class 1 oral examination and what to expect from the examiner during oral examination.
I would start with having lots of experience and good sea stories heh
And then get to the IMO web page and learn to navigate that, and everything under it...
You're at 1st class orals...any machinery questions should not be an issue...
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

I don't know that this will help, but when I did my 1st class, I watched the examiner and when he seemed ready to move on, I dredged some other tidbit out of my repertoire for that question.
What you have to remember, is that you are now the manager of the department and not the doer. All questions need to be answered from that perspective. A Co-worker failed his orals many years ago because he forgot that part.
Revolver
Chief Engineer

Post by Revolver »

JK, your age may be showing lol

These days with such reduced crews - C/E's are managers of the dept. AND have to also be doers...

But valid point, be aware you are the manager and are responsible for your people, environment, ship, machinery, and cargo...
Know there is always more than one way to skin a cat. Make plans, always plot, have answers to questions not yet asked, be ahead of everything...
If you stay ready, you ain't got to get ready!
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

LOL, The CEs I deal with are all in their coveralls now. Back when I was at sea, they were in carpet slippers and smoked a pipe. We were barely out of shoveling coal!