Ships Business and Maritime Law

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Ships Business and Maritime Law

Post by The Dieselduck »

NL sent us these tips from his 2nd Class orals regarding the
The Ships Business and Maritime Law part was probably the hardest part of the orals. I think based on the examiner, it could be a lot harder than it was all the same. The examiner went down through the Syllabus and asked me a question about each regulation, act, convention, etc. Most of the focus was on MARPOL, MLC 2006, IMO, MOSH, CLC Part 2, STCW, ILO, SOLAS. I think he was mostly making sure you could identify which act did a regulation belong to, those kind of things.

We also chatted about metallurgy a fair bit, ice class vessels and what type of steel you would see, A60 bulkheads and where they are located, crankcase and start air explosions. It was a huge relief to get this done, and it's soon time to start knocking off the Part A's for my First Class, before life gets too hectic.

I've attached a copy of the Syllabus he used for Maritime Law and Ship's Business.
Thanks for sharing NL
maritimelaw.PDF
(333.12 KiB) Downloaded 570 times
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
Revolver
Chief Engineer

Re: Ships Business and Maritime Law

Post by Revolver »

Right on, that's not so bad because that's what you should know for seconds anyway.
At least now it's a formal list of material to clarify what's expected to have a good idea about.