14 years onshore after Marine Eng. bc.diploma(in Eastern Europe) and badly want to go back to seafaring

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
Valday
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Upper Canada

14 years onshore after Marine Eng. bc.diploma(in Eastern Europe) and badly want to go back to seafaring

Post by Valday »

Hi guys.
Perhaps you have seen a lot posts like this one plz do not judge to fast and help if you can.
I have finished my college (cadet program, Marine engineering) in 2004 back in Ukraine(I'm 36 now). Got my bachelor diploma, got in to the army and did not get my certificate of competency at that time (i do believe we were given 12 months to do that). Life went into a family direction after; marriage, kid.
Day-by-day, time was flying; immigration to Canada afterwards and almost 6 years of survival job here at starters, with typical bad English after the immigration.
Dust has settled a bit for me in the new country and I am back to the teenage dream/desirable career.

Enough of the sentiments, now back to the main reason of this message:
I have:
- a bachelor in Marine Engineering diploma(4 years), issued in 2004 - never received my COC(just a college diploma, academy if to be precise)
- able seaman certificate issued back then, with all the side ceritificates needed at that moment to start as a on deck and motorman position.
- river port certificate of watchkeeping motorman issued long time ago.
For sure, everything what could expire, got expired long time ago.

Would you be so kind to point me a direction to go so I could get back onto the tracks of obtaining 4th class COC and get back to seafaring.
Much appreciated to the moon and back for any piece of advice, own experince shared and/or pointers.
Thanks a lot.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: 14 years onshore after Marine Eng. bc.diploma(in Eastern Europe) and badly want to go back to seafaring

Post by JK »

your best bet would be a good marine course. I'm not sure what is handy to where you are located in Toronto. Like you say, everything you have would be expired. Have you checked out the Transport Canada site yet?
Valday
Bilge Dweller

Re: 14 years onshore after Marine Eng. bc.diploma(in Eastern Europe) and badly want to go back to seafaring

Post by Valday »

@JK
do you mean a whole 3 years course of a just a single course/set of courses? Not the handiest place for seafarer - Kingston and Owen Sound is the closest place to find a school, both 3 hours of driving to, but... this is just a complication not a sign of an impossiblility or a reason to give up.
Have checked, could not find an online information or a way to in touch with them. I guess need to go there and check my options.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

I'm not following the new regs because I'm done writing and sailing, but you may have to go back to school. Your best bet is to talk to Transport Canada or go here:
https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/marine ... duals.html
Valday
Bilge Dweller

Post by Valday »

Thanks a lot JK.