Reversing servomotor for Sulzer RTA 48T-B

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
benc_1950
Bilge Dweller

Re: Reversible Reduction Gear for Marine Diesel Engine

Post by benc_1950 »

Hy,
I am very interested how reversing servomotor works.
I have a certain project to do about Sulzer RTA48T-B engine and it s reversing servomotor.
Can someone give me any information about this, pictures, animation, calculating of hydraulic equpment...anything.

Thanks
benc_1950
Bilge Dweller

Reversing servomotor for Sulzer RTA 48T-B

Post by benc_1950 »

Can someone help me with this.
Topic is too large to specify my needs on it.
Anything will do.
Maybe after I see some posts, I could tell this is something i need for my project.

Thank you all
Madzng
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: London

Re: Reversing servomotor for Sulzer RTA 48T-B

Post by Madzng »

Hi Benc_1950

Below is a drawing, taken from the RTA manual, of the reversing servo motor.

The reversing servo motor is only used for the fuel pump cam as the exhaust valve cam shape is identical in both directions and does not need to be moved when reversing the engine.

In the drawing the the fuel pump cam is being driven by the wings identified as item "11" which are attached to the camshaft. The whole assembly is being driven in the direction shown by arrow "DR".

Whilst the cam is in this position space "RA" is kept pressured with oil from the Crosshead LO system through connection "VA".

To change the direction of the engine, oil from the Crosshead LO system is directed through connection "VB" into the space marked "RB". As the cam is is moved the oil contained in space "VA" is released out through connection "VR".

It is important to remember when carrying out a camshaft inspection that there is no pressure in either space "RA" or "RB". Because of this the fuel cam itself is free to move and will do so without warning. This can trap any hands or ther objects which are in the way. This movement of the fuel cam can also cause some worrying bangs to be heard when the engine is turned for crankcase work, and if not prepared can start engineers looking all over for the source.
Wartsila Revsering Servo motor
Wartsila Revsering Servo motor
Wartsila Resersing Servo Motor.JPG (90.25 KiB) Viewed 13688 times
key
key
Wartsila reversing servo motor key.JPG (27.56 KiB) Viewed 13687 times