ranging the anchor cables

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
walker
Tanktop Cleaner

ranging the anchor cables

Post by walker »

Hi,guys!
What is meant by ranging the anchor cables?
What maintenance procedures and inspection should be carried out when the anchors are being ranged?
Referring to anchor chains and steering cables where is wear and associated problems likely to occur and how would you rectify them?
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Re: ranging the anchor cables

Post by The Dieselduck »

On most modern vessel, ranging the anchor chain means to flake out, on deck or pier, the anchor chain to determine its condition. Looking for weak links and measuring wear (new vs used). Usually the allowable wear is determined by manufacturer and will be near the anchor end of the chain - where it make the most contact and movement with the abrasive sea bottom. Like lifeboat wires, the chain is sometimes reverse at set intervals, the anchor end will now be attached to the "bitter end" and vice versa, in order to get the most life out of the chain. This procedure is usually done in dry dock.

I am not sure about the steering gear part, but I would assume they probably mean reversing the cabling and looking for wear there as well.
Attachments
You can kind of see where the anchor chain is set on the racks at the bottom right of the picture. It was pressure washed and inspected. Then reinstalled after class and flag approval.
You can kind of see where the anchor chain is set on the racks at the bottom right of the picture. It was pressure washed and inspected. Then reinstalled after class and flag approval.
2009.02-William J Moore-Ile aux Coudres.ml.009.jpg (147.92 KiB) Viewed 16334 times
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
walker
Tanktop Cleaner

Post by walker »

Thanks Martin!
I will use this information in my answer.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

I think the below covers about everything:

ANCHORS & CHAINS (Survey)

1. Both chain locker manhole covers located on forward bulkhead of cargo hold, shall be removed by the Contractor. The Chain lockers shall be thoroughly ventilated and certified safe for personnel to enter. Copies of safe entry certificates shall be posted adjacent to the manholes and copies shall be given to the Chief Engineer.

2. Port And Starboard anchors and anchor cables, 10-1/4 and 10-1/2 shots each, Port & Starboard, shall be ranged in the dock for hydro-blast cleaning, oiling and inspections by TCMSB both anchors shall be lowered to the dock floor by the contractor. The contractor shall bid on craneage, personnel, and equipment to lower the anchors and run out both cables. After both anchors and cables are ranged on the dock floor, both chain locker access covers shall be removed and both cable bitter ends let go.

3. In preparations for oiling, cables shall be hydro-blasted.

4. Cables shall be inspected by TCMSB prior to oiling. All links shall be inspected and slack studs or missing lead pellets identified and reported. The Contractor shall quote on repairs to six (6) slack studs. The present first two (2) shots of each cable shall be disconnected and rotated to the position of the last shots. Free ends to be reconnected to anchors complete with babbitt pellets. Centre shackle pins to be sealed.

5. Cables shall be sprayed lightly with IRVING RP15 or equivalent oil. Cables to be rolled 180 degrees to ensure complete coating.

6. Both anchors shall be abrasive blasted completely to bare metal (SA2) and given one (1) coat of International Intershield KZ, Black. The anchors to be turned as required to ensure that all bare metal is coated satisfactorily.

7. Anchor shackle pins shall be removed for examination. Upon reassemble, new taper pins shall be fitted. Joining shackles shall be painted red with equal numbers of white links painted on either side. The number of white links will correspond with the number of shots beginning from the anchor joining shackles. The outer end links of each white painted set shall be marked with seizing wire close hitched around the link stud.

8. On completion of above work, cables and anchors shall be reshipped and secured in good order and adjustment.

9. All materials shall be contractor supply, and all work shall be carried out to the satisfaction of the Chief Engineer, or his designated representative

CHAIN LOCKER (Survey )

1. In conjunction with HD 16 Anchors and Chains, the Chain Locker, Fr. 241- 247 shall be cleaned and inspected.

2. With the anchor chains removed, the Contractor shall clean the internals with a high pressure water wash. Bottom grates to be lifted and cleaned underneath. All dirt and debris shall be removed and disposed of ashore.

3. Contractor to note any damage and notify Owners representative, who will determine if additional work / repair shall be carried out.

4. Chain locker to be examined by TCMSB.

5. Contractor to prove that bilge pumping system piping for the chain locker is clear and operable upon completion of work.

6. Contractor shall close up the chain locker in good order and adjustment upon completion of inspections and work, using new gaskets, Contractor Supply.

For the steering chain, I will look in some of my older engineering books and see if they say anything specific. I worked on a ship built in 1949 which had hydraulics, so I have wonder just how far back they are looking :roll:
walker
Tanktop Cleaner

Post by walker »

Thanks a lot for your help JK.Good job :D
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »