No more MED C?

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
electrotech
Tanktop Cleaner

No more MED C?

Post by electrotech »

I discovered I require the "MED C" (officer training) qualification to apply for a certain job.

Seems like MED C is no longer offered by BCIT. They have combined it into the Advanced Firefighting course which is longer and costs a good bunch more.

Anyone know if MED C can still be taken anywhere in BC?
conrod
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Nanoose Bay BC, Canada

Re: No more MED C?

Post by conrod »

I think you will have a hard time getting Transport Canada to accept anything other than a MED D. BCIT in North Van offer that..........I have to take it myself in September. Its $ 172. and only 2 days long, so I doubt it will include any fire fighting.
electrotech
Tanktop Cleaner

Post by electrotech »

I looked into Med D, but they require MED C or Advanced Fire Fighting Officer (AFFOC) as a prerequisite.

I'll probably just go for the AFFOC and see if my employer will sponsor me to some extent.
Mike_88
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Vancouver, British Columbia

Post by Mike_88 »

Well if it helps, I just took AFFOC not too long ago, and there were some people who came into our class just for the MED C part. Not sure if it is cheaper to do so, but you can always go to the school and ask the instructors or the people at the office. Sometimes it is better to go to the instructor, as they usually can help you. For the MED C however, it does require that you go for the firefighting, as I had to do that before I got the certificate. So I don't think there is a way around that now, they have combined it.

For us they had the MED C and D put together, maybe it was just a special occasion but it’s better to check anyways. You don't want to be paying for something you don't need.
electrotech
Tanktop Cleaner

Post by electrotech »

I can benefit from both components of the AFFOC. It's required for my 4th Class, but that's still a ways off due to my slow seatime accrual.

The MED C alone would put me in the running for an Electrical Officer's job. A few days and couple hundred bucks is highly affordable. A week and ~$1000 for AFFOC....not so much. :|
electrotech
Tanktop Cleaner

Post by electrotech »

I bit the bullet and signed up for both AFFOC and Med D. 8)

Now I'm looking forward to school again :mrgreen:

BCIT's fall program guide:
http://www.bcit.ca/files/transportation ... hedule.pdf