Advice or guidance please

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
Dieseldame
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Nova Scotia / Caribbean

Re: Advice or guidance please

Post by Dieseldame »

Hey Newbie..

Sorry to join the discussion so late. I entered the field using a 1 year diesel mechanics course at a local college. I paid my own way for my MED's and have been working "self-study" the rest of the way. In order to get your 4ths, you have to have a number of skill requirements covered off including electrical, machining, welding and the oh so expensive propulsion simulator course. I would check very carefully into the program you are taking to see if they offer the skills you need for the 4ths. It would be worth a visit to a local Transport Canada office to discuss requirements with them.

One engineer here took a program at the NSCC campus in Port Hawksbury that provided the course requirements he needed.

I would also suggest that you find a way to "try it out" as a career path. I don't know your background but some people come here and find out pretty quickly that its not for them or it was not what they thought it would be. Just food for thought!

DD
robot-santa
Bilge Dweller

Post by robot-santa »

Hope that the previous posters are still watching this thread!

I've just applied to the CCG officer training program, and I'm curious what sort of chances I have of getting in. I'm nearly 30 years old, and hold a Diploma of Technology as well as a Bachelors of Technology in computer related fields. I've been involved in boating my entire life, and am really looking forward to the opportunity of being a member of the CCG. Assuming that I'm accepted into the college, do I get a choice of which discipline I'm sent into (Navigation or Engineering)? As far as duties go in the CCG, what are the chances of my going through the Engineering program, and being able to get put on a smallish ship in the Pacific (after whatever seniority is required to allow such a choice)? Is it safe to assume that Marine Engineers are involved in the lifesaving/SAR duties, and would get to do some of the more exciting things I've seen on the CCG's facebook page? (Scuba diving, SAR, helicopter rides, etc..)

I know this post is somewhat rambling, but I'm somewhat frustrated with the lack of information on the official site. Googling showed this thread as the best source of information I've found in a few weeks of looking! Thanks for any help you're able to offer
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

I've just applied to the CCG officer training program, and I'm curious what sort of chances I have of getting in. I'm nearly 30 years old, and hold a Diploma of Technology as well as a Bachelors of Technology in computer related fields.

CCGC is ramping up their program. There are going to be a larger number of cadets going through the program.
There is a large amount of retirements of senior officers going to be happening in the next 5 years. This causes a upward movement of promotions. This is also going to happen in Ottawa as 30 year veterans who graduated from the college, are getting ready to retire.
CG is also planning a ship replacement program that will reach out 30 years and beyond, which require more officers trained in newer technology.
So if you pass the entrance requirements you have a shot at being accepted.

Assuming that I'm accepted into the college, do I get a choice of which discipline I'm sent into (Navigation or Engineering)?

Yes, though the mates have to pass the sight requirements. There are many engineers who started out as mates until the eye exam!

As far as duties go in the CCG, what are the chances of my going through the Engineering program, and being able to get put on a smallish ship in the Pacific (after whatever seniority is required to allow such a choice)?

I can't speak specifically, but when you graduate, there is usually a choice of where you are posted with backup, if you can't be staffed in the first region.
Once you are in the region you are rotated through the ships by the staffing people, so you will probably end up on a smaller ship (since Pacific only has smaller ships it seems).
You can expect to assigned to a ship as a junior engineer to gain experience, then maybe a cutter as an engineer. As they are alone, there is more expected in paperwork and the generation of refit items.

Is it safe to assume that Marine Engineers are involved in the lifesaving/SAR duties, and would get to do some of the more exciting things I've seen on the CCG's facebook page? (Scuba diving, SAR, helicopter rides, etc..)

Everyone in the CG gets to do SAR, all the ships are on SAR standby unless their deck cargo makes it dangerous for the ship. You can get the opportunity to go in the choppers given operational requirements.
The dive program is in the Pacific only and is a specific program done by the dive techs. I don't know much about it.

Googling showed this thread as the best source of information I've found in a few weeks of looking! Thanks for any help you're able to offer

That is great for Diesel Duck, pretty sad for the CG.
How about posting the link to the Facebook page, I'd be curious to see it.
robot-santa
Bilge Dweller

Post by robot-santa »

Hi JK,
Thanks for all the info, that makes me feel a lot better about the whole process!

The facebook group for the Canadian Coast Guard is here: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2 ... 6256779..1 , Hopefully that link works for everyone. They have a decent amount of pictures posted by members. Half of them are out of focus, but there are enough of them that I can get a pretty good idea of what the condition of a lot of the ships is, as well as getting a glimpse at a few of the more exotic things that members do.

Wish me luck :D
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

Let us know how you make out!
robot-santa
Bilge Dweller

Post by robot-santa »

I just received notification that I passed the initial screening, and will do the EPSAT sometime soon. I'm looking forward to it!