2nd Class Oral

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
wtswong
First Time Poster

2nd Class Oral

Post by wtswong »

Hi, all.
i am looking for a detailed answer for crankcase inspection. been searching around, couldn't get good answer for this question.
answer i have gathered so far is :
prior doing this job, all safety(turning gear engage, enclosed space entry,etc) is done,
check guide shoe surface for burning mark
check marking on crankpin and crank web
check tie bolt tightness
check any metal particles on sump surface
check suction pipe of oil mist detector is cleared
check LO flow is continuos

any help? thanks in advance
Steveoreano
Bilge Dweller

Re: 2nd Class Oral

Post by Steveoreano »

Hi, all.
i am looking for a detailed answer for crankcase inspection. been searching around, couldn't get good answer for this question.
answer i have gathered so far is :
prior doing this job, all safety(turning gear engage, enclosed space entry,etc) is done,
check guide shoe surface for burning mark
check marking on crankpin and crank web
check tie bolt tightness
check any metal particles on sump surface
check suction pipe of oil mist detector is cleared
check LO flow is continuos

any help? thanks in advance

A few other things, look for signs of water between the liner and block, or sludge in the oil, look for loose or missing cotter pins, look for signs of bearing material adjacent to adjacent to the journal pins and bearings, look for gear wear problems, insufficient backlash of geartrain, look for signs of heat, discolouration, carry out a set of crankshaft defelections as part of your inspection of the crankcase, carry out a crankshaft thrust measurement and check the increase in wear since the last time, inspect the crankcase explosion door flame traps and o-rings, check that the crankcase explosion doors function, look
Steve Parkinson
Dartmouth Nova Scotia
CCGC 1983 Engineers