4th class textbooks

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
Jon
Deck Plate Wanderer

4th class textbooks

Post by Jon »

Hi all, I've been slowly eating away at the sea time I need to finally get my 4th class.
I'm after some textbooks so I can brush up before I take any exams.
Does any one have any recommendations?
Or is there anyone interested in selling their old set?
Thanks,
Jon
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Re: 4th class textbooks

Post by The Dieselduck »

One of the best and most complete text that I know for the Fourth Class is "Introduction to marine engineering" by D A Taylor, Butherworth Heinemann, 1995

I actually read it cover to cover back then, even if its a text, its actually quite relevant and interesting to boot. But then again I might just be strange. You can find a copy online... or buy your own for not too expensive.

Hope that helps.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
ngineer
Bilge Dweller

Post by ngineer »

Two books that I found useful were Marine Boilers 3rd edition by GTH Flanagan and Diesel Engines 3rd edition by AJ Wharton. Both are published by Butterworth Heinemann and are part of the "Marine Engineering" series, also referred to as the "candy series". They can be found on Amazon.ca for relatively good prices. The boiler one in particular I found useful as it covers some basic operating info and has sections devoted to boiler fittings, boiler operation among others. I have also used these books for the 3rd class exams, so they will be useful to you if you are so inclined to go further.

Good Luck!
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

Then again, there's the 4th Class Study Guide, available free at any TC Marine Safety office.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".