Small Vessel Machinery Operator (SVMO)

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Re: Small Vessel Machinery Operator (SVMO)

Post by Big Pete »

Hi Brian,

I add my commiserations, you appear to have been trying to do the right thing, in improving the standards of your Marine Crew. From my perspective, with 40 years experience deep sea in the UK, I do not have any knowledge of the Transport Canada Rules or the operation of small vessels, I can only contribute what I consider to be good, safe, engineering practice and common sense.
I appreciate that your Students aren't going to study engineering to University Degree level, like I did, I am afraid it must be down to you to decide how deep into engineering you should take your students.
I hope your Boss re-considers, his decision, you have put so much effort into this, and it was an excellent idea.
Good luck.

BP
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
Brian Brooks
Mechanic

Post by Brian Brooks »

Hi all:

I appreciate the words of support. It was a tough sell to get my boss to add the taining facility to our expansion plans. My hope is that he may reconsider when he sees the whole picture, including regulatory changes coming down the tubes.

I start Monday morning training 5 new crew, and I have two candidates halfway through training for our small, 8 m 12 passenger boat. They must now have tickets to operate it (SVOP). This is an essential development.

I want to be sure that everybody understands that I appreciate the participation. It's exactly what I had hoped for. Also, I didn't see one point with which any of us here disagrees in the regulatory material presented by Jollyjack.

I'll work on the boss.

Brian.
whales
Bilge Dweller

Post by whales »

Hi Brian

I have been reading all the blogs on the SVMO. I presently am a skipper in the marine tourist industry and have been told i have to get my SVMO. No problem as all training is good but out here in BC there are no courses available till later in the year and some have been cancelled due no enrollment. Anyhow I might have to challenge the exam without a course and I see that a lot of the subject matter relates to the shipping industry not small vessel operation. Looking for 2 things one being the right study material and 2 is there a way to get hundreds of sample questions to practice.

Also do you know if the SVMO is required law for small vessels with up to 40 passengers with single skipper operation.

Mike
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

whales, the SVMO is permitted for a passenger vessel with propulsive power between 75 and 749 Kw, on a limited Near Coastal 2 or a sheltered waters voyage. This is specified in the table in the Marine Personnel Regulations, section 219, which can be viewed here: http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/SOR-2007-115

The SVMO Exam is designed so that it covers all types of small vessels, (and there are literally thousands of small vessels in Canada) including passenger vessels as noted previously, tugs up to 500 GRT and cargo vessels up to 1999 Kw under certain cicumstances spelled out in MPR sections 220 and 221. You will appreciate that the scope of the syllabus must therefore be quite wide. There is no fee charged for the Examinations, written and oral (both of which must be passed) and Exam day is every Wednesday morning.

The SVMO Study Guide is here:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/tp ... u-1313.htm

and the specimen questions are here:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/tp ... u-1384.htm

If you've been around small vessels for a while and know which is the pointy end, you should have a reasonable chance of passing the SVMO. The written is on General Engineering knowledge, on a general knowledge level (think "Jeopardy" and Alex Trebek) and the oral is mostly safety-orientated, although the Examiner has a wide scope from which to draw. The standard required is far below that of 4th Class and is less than that of Engine Room Rating, which is far more complicated and has a far wider scope than SVMO. ERR is not exempt SVMO, because the latter needs a written AND an Oral, the ERR needs a written OR an Oral. (MPRs need to be fine tuned)
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
Brian Brooks
Mechanic

Post by Brian Brooks »

Hi whales:

Our 115 page study guide gives answers in plain language to more than 240 questions concerning every aspect of watchkeeping engineering on small passenger vessels defined in the regulations. It is written by people who actually operate these vessels, from 8 m, 5 grt, 12 passengers to 300 grt, 200 passengers.

It includes piping, diesel, electrical, hydraulics, watchkeeping...even how to read an engine oil analysis report, how to properly use a Volt Ohm Meter. It contains dozens of illustrations and simple, thought-through explanations of systems commonly found on these vessels.

If you give me a mailing address. I'll see that you get one, though you'll have to give me a couple of days to fire it out to you. Read this material through and you can pass whatever level of SVMO you want!

I would appreciate you giving a candid evaluation of the study guide when you receive it.

Many thanks,
Brian Brooks
whales
Bilge Dweller

Post by whales »

Hi Brian

I'm not sure if the private message went thru ok with my phone # and address. If not send me another message and if you can, could you call me at

604 7675930. Thanks.

Mike
Brian Brooks
Mechanic

Post by Brian Brooks »

Hi whales:

Yes. I got your messages. Give me a couple of days and I'll have a study text there before you write your exam.

I have also received requests from a number of others in the tour boat industry (the target of all this).

They will also receive a test copy. Anyone wanting to to the oral for SVMO unrestricted...we also have a "steam power supplement". More about that later.

Remember guys...and lady...I'd like your comments after you receive your test copy and have a chance to look it over. Remember that these teaching texts are designed to be kept, updated, and used to look up any future problem you encounter.

Best regards to all.

Brian
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

I have erred in interpretation of the SVMO exams. If a candidate is challenging the SVMO-R, he or she must write the SVMO-General and take an oral exam on the vessel for which he is being examined. He does not have to take the Oral referred to in table item 3(b)(i) .

I advise people to RTFQ, perhaps I should remind myself to RTFR more thoroughly!

The relevant regulation is here, MPR 151

Small Vessel Machinery Operator 151.

(1) An applicant for a Small Vessel Machinery Operator certificate shall meet the requirements set out in column 1 of the table to this subsection and the corresponding specifications set out in column 2.

TABLE
Column 1 Column 2 Item Requirements Specifications

1. Experience Acquire at least two months of qualifying service as follows:
(a) at least 1 month of sea service as an engineer or a rating performing engine-room duties on one or more motor vessels; and
(b) any remaining time any combination of the types of service set out in item 2 of the table to subsection 147(1).

2. Certificates to be provided to the examiner
(a) MED with respect to small passenger vessel safety; and
(b) marine basic first aid.

3. Pass examinations
(a) Written examination on general engineering knowledge of small vessels, after meeting the requirements of items 1 and 2; and

(b) after passing the examination referred to in paragraph (a),

(i) oral examination on general engineering knowledge of small vessels if applying for an unrestricted certificate, and
(ii) practical examination on board the vessel in respect of which the certificate is sought if applying for the restricted certificate referred to in subsection (2).

(2) Despite item 1 of the table to subsection (1), an applicant for a Small Vessel Machinery Operator certificate restricted for use on board a specified passenger-carrying vessel that has a propulsive power of less than 750 kW and is engaged on a limited near coastal voyage, Class 2 or a sheltered waters voyage may, instead of meeting the requirements of that item,

(a) successfully complete training related to the propulsion system and safety systems fitted on the vessel; or (b) acquire at least 10 days of sea service performing engine-room duties on the vessel or a vessel of the same class.

Please note, in table item 3(b)(i), the final word, "and", should be "or". In both cases, SVMO and SVMO-R, the SVMO General Knowledge written exam must be passed.
Brian Brooks
Mechanic

Post by Brian Brooks »

Thanks Jollyjack

Candidates must be made aware that they are required to have a minimum duration of sea service of the appropriate type, the correct MED and at least basic first aid. They are also urged to obtain a CDN number (and Discharge Book).

We hire our candidates with the understanding that they will be supernumary until they write their exam and pass it. This way they get their "employee letter" so they can obtain their CDN number at the nearest TCMS office.

Of course, they wouldn't be permitted to write the SVMO challenge exam unless they had the prerequisites.

It is outlined in plain language in the two pages immediately following the contents in our training manual.

Regards,

Brian.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

Brian, You don't need an employee letter for a CDN number, that's for a discharge book. You need proof of citizenship or a permanent resident card for a CDN number. There's no charge for a CDN number, but a discharge book costs $10 and you'll have to provide 2 passport type photos for it.

so:

CDN number: no charge ; proof of citizenship or PR card

Disch book : $10 ; letter of employment ; 2 passport photos.
Brian Brooks
Mechanic

Post by Brian Brooks »

Jollyjack

That's good to know. We have been providing the right information and requiring the correct stuff, but in the wrong sequence.

Thanks,

Brian
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

de nada :)
Brian Brooks
Mechanic

Post by Brian Brooks »

Gracias. Hasta luego.

Brian
Brian Brooks
Mechanic

Post by Brian Brooks »

Note to all interested:

We now have six SVMO candidates on the lower mainland and Vancouver Island writing their SVMO exams, and going for the Unrestricted endorsement using the Hamilton Waterfront Trust pilot SVMO training manual.

Others will soon start writing in Ontario.

This has become a runaway success.

Regards to all,

Brian
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

Bravo Zulu Brian. We have about that many a month here in Atlantic Canada, so there is a demand for the Certificate, people actually want to comply with the Act. Numbers of SVMO exams tend to increase in spring and early summer, for obvious reasons. Last year's crop of tour boat employees have moved on and this year's need to be qualified.