I Missed the Boat, More Advice or Guidance Please

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
Deck Plate Wanderer

I Missed the Boat, More Advice or Guidance Please

Post by Newbie »

Thanks to all for the answers and replies under the previous post of "Advice or Guidance", but sadly I missed the boat for the CCG Cadet program. BOO HOO!

Moving forward as the acceptance opens for next year:

I have enrolled in an Advanced Math refresher course, Advanced Physics and Chemistry courses and was wondering if there might be any other courses, books or websites (Not that this one isn't the best I've found!) out there you may recommend in order to increase my chances of acceptance in to the CCG Engineering program? Please use land lover terms folks as I don't reside in those areas right now and I'm not up to speed on all the abbreviations.

What happened you ask?

It would of cost me 3000$ for the engine room assistant training, of which they were unable to provide me with any of the materials covered in their course. Secondly the STCW course (FUM-MED) which also included the Lifeboat safety I believe, for an additional 1695$ at a total of 88 hours. The latter having many explanations but the previous nothing as to hours of training provided on land or at sea etc.

As it stands I have a full year and the opportunity to prepare myself academically for the Engineer training at CCG and am asking all of you for yet again some advice or guidance as to ways of possibly increasing my chances for acceptance. I found out how many people applied and as to how many were accepted. Tough odds!

Should I get in to the course, I'll buy the first beer prior to training!

Looking forward to hearing all of your replies,

Landlocked Newbie
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: I Missed the Boat, More Advice or Guidance Please

Post by JK »

The extra math classes are a very good idea.

I would consider a machining course. I know that it is expensive, but it would be worth your time.
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

Sorry to hear you missed the boat this year, better luck next year.

The theoretical side of Engineering is largely applied Physics with a bit of appied Chemistry, and there is Maths and English in everything!!! So you are certainly heading in the right direction.

If you have time it might be worth looking at some Technical / Engineering drawing, in the UK anyway that is regarded as a basic skill for Engineers, so that you can read Machinery Drawings and make drawings of parts you want repaired or fabricated.

The British/Dutch Merchant Navy Trade Union , "Nautilus International" has an interesting web site,. www. nautilusint.org

The Institute of Marine Engineering Science & Technology has a website.............. http://www.imarest.org

The Royal Instiute of Naval Architects has a web site ......... http://www.rina.orguk/tna

The Marine Society, is an old British charity, that offers distant learning courses to Seamen at all levels up to Post Graduate studies,
There is free on line study material but you have to pay for courses that have work marked and assessed.
http://www.mscos.ac.uk or e: [email protected]

I hope you find the above sites useful.

Good Luck

BP
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Just thought of another,check around for some electronic training. That will come in very handy.
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

I thought of another one too!

Welding is very useful.

However, just a word of caution, if you take courses in all these topics, you won't have anything left to learn when you enroll in the Coastguard Training!!
You could spend a lot of money duplicating the Coast Guard course, so I would go for basisc introductory courses.

Good Luck

BP
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

I agree with the basic introductory comment.
The problem with the CGC is that there is a huge amount of information and training crammed into a very short time.
They do not train these guys to be a 4th, they train them to a 1st level, without the practical.
A lot of the cadets founder on the shores of math.

I must see if I can find out what the shop training consists of.

Concentrate on math and best of luck.
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by Newbie »

A big thank you for your replies and the internet links.

I guess I was on the right track by reviewing math etc.

I will check back in frequently and hopefully land some work near the sea shortly.

Once again thank you
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

If you let me know your approximate location, I can send you a list of approved courses for BSME and Alternate Path courses for Engineers. The CCG isn't the only player in town and is actually, in my opinion, a disadvantage when the transition to Industry is made. Any route you take, you need 36 months qualifying service, 6 of which must be at sea for 4th Class, and the relevant MED and basic skills training.
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by Newbie »

Hello once again.

Jolly Jack, I'm currently in the Ottawa region but am not committed to this area. I'm awaiting an answer from Rimouski CEGEP for acceptance to the program there which would start in September 2010 and also a reply for the acceptance of my student loan.

I've recently been to the Canadian Forces. Everything booked up until September 2011, similar to the CGC. Seems like everyone wants to be an engineer. With the forces however I'm also looking taking the "Marine Engineering Mechanic" but still undecided.

I don't want to be stuck on land sending long winded e-mails. I want to be in the engine room with hopefully minimal amounts of problems (I'll run a tight ship!) but definitely not sharpening pencils.

Even if there are any "LAY UP" jobs out there on either coast, I'll take them. I'm returning back to Canada and was impressed and awe struck by the stories from an expat over seas.

That's where it stands for now.

Again thanks for the post and replies guys and also the informative links.

JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

Here is the link for courses and Institutions approved by Transport Canada Marine Safety.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/tp ... u-1046.htm

Cadet programmes start in Port Hawkesbury, Nova Scotia, Memorial University, St. Johns, NL and many other places in Canada, the school year generally begins late August. Rimouski has a good programme, all in French. Check out Owen Sound, Ont. and BCIT in Vancouver. These 5 places are the only ones in Canada where a Propulsion Plant Simulator is installed and you must have that training to be eligible to sit Canadian Engineering certificates. (PPS is part of the cadet Programme) You must also be a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident (with a PR card) in order to hold any Canadian Certificate of Competence. STCW compliant training in Marine Emergency Duties are included in these programmes, too, and you must have that training to write examinations for a Certificate of Competence.

Cadet programmes are 3 years, with appropriate qualifying service built in for 4th Class Motor, but there is a one year "Alternative Path" where skills training at an approved Institution (NSCC for example) exempts 10 months qualifying service. MED courses are in additional to the skills training, and you must do 9 months at sea, instead of 6, in order to write 4th Class exams. Total qualifying service is still 36 months.

Here is the link explaining the "Alternative Path".

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/bu ... 05-eng.htm

There are 110 ways to skin a cat, according to the American Taxidermists Association, these are two of them :)
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
ric
First Time Poster

Post by ric »

I am a new user for this forum-which is a great idea by the way.
As a graduate of the CCGC and after many years in the CCG and TC I feel I can comment on what the Entrants should have to enter the College. Academics are a must-maths/physics/chemistry, this will get your foot in the door. But to stand out, they are also looking for the 'extras'. Have you had any Leadership roles? eg Sea Cadets, Rotary Club, High School activities? Volunteering? eg sick kids, young people, etc. How about travel and what kind of jobs have you held? Your initiative to prepare yourself in some of the Marine Engineering skills is a good step-it shows your committment.
However, the CCGC isn't just looking to train Engineers. They are also looking for middle and higher up Managers in the future, within the Government. Technical skills, yes. But the 'softer' attributes also.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Welcome onboard Ric, always glad to see new members!
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by Newbie »

Well it's official.

I've been accepted into the IMQ (Marine Institute of Quebec) commencing this fall.
It's a 4 year course provided in Rimouski with the year 2012 at sea. It's more like a COOP course.

I must get a medical,a CDN number, a discharge book, St John's Ambulance certification.

The STCW courses are provided.

A little more expensive than the other route but at least this way I'm guaranteed acceptance.

I will receive more details in the coming months and will be pleased to provide information and updates to this site.

Sadly the odds with CCGC or the Forces were not in my favour but wishing anyone else good luck when applying.

Just wanted to express a big thanks to all those who wrote and provided complimentary and gratuitous information.

Hopefully everyone is staying busy and will have a safe season.

The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

Congrats Newbie, hope things work out for you and feel free to revisit us for encouragement and possibles answers.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Congrats Newbie, best of luck.
As Martin says, I hope you keep updating us on how you are doing.