westfalia Purifier Problem

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
Charlytango
First Time Poster
Currently located: United kindom

westfalia Purifier Problem

Post by Charlytango »

Westfalia Diesel oil separator tripping on WATER OUTLET Flow too High,Separation stopped after running for between 30-40mins..what could be wrong
Attachments
ALARM
ALARM
popeye62
Leak Patrol
Currently located: London

Re: westfalia Purifier Problem

Post by popeye62 »

It is difficult without knowing the model and the attachment is missing. If the alarm is the water monitoring system (WMS-Unitrol?) then check that, clean the conductivity sensor, check the water outlet valve.
Is there actually a lot of water? This can only come from the fuel itself (does the gas oil come from a settling tank, where you can visually check for water or straight from the bunker?) or the operating/conditioning water supply e.g. is the displacement water valve passing? Try reducing the sludge cycle to 30 minutes and observe. A lot of separator problems can be figured out by running them in manual, just follow the auto sequence with the operation of the valves. The machine is coming off separation because it cannot cope with the amount of real or apparent water.
amir_master19891368
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: ship

Post by amir_master19891368 »

Hello
I am amir,I am 4/E of tanker,I have same problem with my L.O purifier and the model is westfalia OSD18.
After starting the purifier after 30-40min, the purifier will be stopped due to "water outlet flow too high" alarm.
Filling valve for water is almost shut and it is open almost 1 round.
I do not know how can I fix it.
Please tell me some advices.
popeye62
Leak Patrol

Post by popeye62 »

Hello Amir, sorry to hear of your troubles. Please provide more details. Is this ME? How long has it been happening (after overhaul)?
Is the water outlet flow too high? Is water filling the sludge tank through the open water outlet valve? If yes, where is the water coming from; the oil or the separator? Which filling valve, for sealing/displacement water in the top? You are referring to a manual valve (1 round turn open)? The filling is controlled by a solenoid valve, is it working correctly? Check the program for all your timers, is there any operation occuring at the time the alarm comes? I am presuming that the separator is not completing a separation cycle. What control panel do you have?
amir_master19891368
Bilge Dweller

The control panel is GEA. The cycle is not being completed when the alarm is shown. It has been accured after 1200hrs after overhauling and there is no any leakage from bowl. For filling valve I meant the manual valve before the solenoid valve. displacement water comes through solenoid valve on the top of the Separator, before that solenoid valve there is the a manual valve for water. Yes it is for main engine sump oil. Water is for the Separator because no.2 L.O purifier working properly. I have problem with No.1.
Last edited by amir_master19891368 on Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
amir_master19891368
Bilge Dweller

Thank you for your attention
popeye62
Leak Patrol

Post by popeye62 »

Hello Amir
If the water is real and is not coming from the sump then it must be coming from the operating system, most likely the filling/displacement water.
Why is the manual valve only one turn open? It should be fully open. The flow of water to the separator is determined by the supply and the orifice plate in the top connection. Check the flow with a calibrated bucket that it is in the range of what is stated in your manual (I have an OSD 35 manual which states 1800 l/h and between 2-3 b), check the in-line filter and any pressure reducing valves. Check the correct orifice plate is fitted and the NRV. Check if the solenoid valve is passing and continually filling the bowl. Observe the time the solenoid valve is open and for how long, does it match the program settings? Good luck.
amir_master19891368
Bilge Dweller

Thank you for your advice. I will check them all. Thanks a lot.